Media Sugar Ray Leonard Breaks Down His Most Iconic Fights | GQ

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is a great video lots of fun when you have time to watch and listen its good, man the boxers back in the 80s were so good, fast hands, good footwork, good chins, stamina, man most of these guys would run through the welters today what happened its weird its like the boxing skill sucks now, I think it has to do with lack of trainers like the art is dying because there was not much money in it in America.

Tommy Hearns would destroy Errol Spence and Spence is considered the most feared biggest welter right now that says a lot if Spence would beat most of these welters now, Hearns would probably spark him out in 5 rounds.

It’s funny you say that.

I feel like boxing technique has changed. Its more like a point fighting style. Very strict, tight, small ranges of motion.

Guys in Leonard’s era THREW. They just had such good timing and creativity they landed monster shots.

It’s funny you say that.

I feel like boxing technique has changed. Its more like a point fighting style. Very strict, tight, small ranges of motion.

Guys in Leonard’s era THREW. They just had such good timing and creativity they landed monster shots.

There was a special batch of fighters in the 80s.
Floyd taught us that great defense and low output pot shotting was enough to win. It sucked the life out of fights.

It’s funny you say that.

Yeah it was insane, i remeber watching some featherweights as a kid and the entire crowd was packed they were throwing punches side stepping, slipping, it was non stop for so many rounds and they didnt tire, now the boxers are pot shot move, or move move and touch jab wtf?

It’s funny you say that.

eh, almost no one from that era could match Leonard's offensive output when he was on, he was special that way. You had more than your share of methodical counter punchers back then too.

Sugar Ray was one of the best ever. He really could do it all. A fantastic fighter who was willing to test himself against opponents that on paper should beat him. His match against Hagler was an amazing display of courage considering he was such a big underdog, something that a fighter like Floyd never went through.

Last edited:
Marvelous didn't lose that fight.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Back