sugar and metabolism article

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by jzpowahz, Sep 8, 2010.

1. jzpowahz

jzpowahz White Belt

2. Gatorfan Frank

Gatorfan Frank Blue Belt

So reducing sugar burns fat? No new info there.

3. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

I thought it was a pretty poorly written article, especially coming from an MD.

That's not to say that the advice is wrong (many people DO eat too many carbs), but the explanation of human physiology is pretty weak.

4. Dreamcatcher10

Dreamcatcher10 Blue Belt

good info just poor organization and structure of the article. I now have more questions than i started with

5. LyotoM

LyotoM Brown Belt

whats the solution? Replace Sugar/Starch/Carbs with GoodFat/Veg/Fruit ?. How can I get my body to use fat as a fuel rather than muscle....!!!!

6. WorldisMine81

WorldisMine81 Orange Belt

ok so um. let me get this straight.

too may carbs and you store fat/sugas?

too many sugars are bad yeah kinda knew that.

too much of anything equals fat?

Ok so wtf should a bulking person eat without having to worry about loading fat.

all this nutrition is confusing.

im on a 3057 calorie a day, 315 g protein and 55g fat plan. kinda sucks but by reading that article i should be puting on a good amount of fat?

7. Clint07

Clint07 You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature?

Yeah ,I understand that most nutritional biology needs to be put into layman's terms but at a point the concept gets dumbed down to a point where it is no longer being conveyed honestly.

8. jzpowahz

jzpowahz White Belt

yeah, I agree. Seems like whatever you eat there is someone out there telling you how it is bad for you in some way or another.

9. cooks1

cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

I was wondering that myself. He says you need to retrain your brain to get your body to use fat as it's primary fuel, then goes on to say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT HOW TO DO THAT. What a rip. Does anyone actually know?

10. jzpowahz

jzpowahz White Belt

11. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

if you're really serious about this, look up ketogenic diets and ketosis.

12. mmafreedom

mmafreedom Purple Belt

That was a very poorly written article from someone who is a professional.

13. cooks1

Thanks for that!!! I definately will.

14. cooks1

XT- I just did a cursory look at this. Burning fat as a primary fuel source SOUNDS good, but I don't see how a ketogenic diet is a very good lifestyle choice.

A 4:1 ratio of Fat to protein AND carbs?

LOADS of cream and the like, with very few vegetables and fruit? It seems very nutrient poor.

This does not sound like a very good solution to me. It seems like doctors suggest this diet to curtail siezures. Under what conditions would you actually advise someone to do this, as it does not seem healthy to me.

15. superking

superking Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune

That's not very much fat. Doing a little math, you took in about 325 g of carbs. I would up my fat intake if I were you.

Yesterday I ate a total of ~3300 calories. 154 g of fat, 200 g of protein, and 278 g of carbs.

16. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

There's a gigantic Zero Carb thread around here. Almost every question you ask and every question that ever could be asked regarding this is answered there. Bit of an epic read, but worthwhile.

17. steroid-doc

steroid-doc Purple Belt

the article was ok, dont think there was any breaking news , didnt like the referneces to bodyfat being stored as saturated fat because it dosnt matter , consumed saturated fat is bad for you , but burning bodyfat when obese is good for you , so didnt see the relevance.

also the training the brain is down to exercise, i.e people do sprint training and high inmtensity anerobic training to boost leptin so there body will use fat as a source of energy when at rest even when eating carbs, whereas you could do it the other way where you do 1 hour fat burning cardio and you burn fat aerobicaly , where the exercise burns fat and your body will carry on using the easiest source of food as energy , the first being good for average joe's and latter good for bodybuilders.

at the end of the day though it still boils down to how many calories you consume

18. superking

superking Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune

I disagree. Probably 2/3's of my fat intake is saturated. Mostly from coconut oil, butter and milk, a little less so from fatty meats. The other 1/3 is monounsaturated and a little polyunsaturated from things like olive oil, fish oil, avocados and nuts.

19. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's all about the chain-length of the fat. Medium chain saturated fat doesn't behave like other saturated fats. Short chain are very efficiently burned. The longer the chains, the slower the metabolizing, but too long and you can't break them down at all (think: olestra).

Saturated, unsaturated, those are mostly fashionable terms. Not all are created equal, even the Satanic trans-fats. How many people take CLA? That's a trans-fat.

20. steroid-doc

steroid-doc Purple Belt

I think your missing my point , which was that the article was emphasising something that didnt really matter, although saying that too much saturated fat is bad for you.