Sugar Alcohol

cfiore6006

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know what "Sugar Alcohol" is? I see it on the wrappers of protein bars. Is this the company's way of making me think I'm not chowing down on a bunch of sugar?

To my understanding (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) companies use sugar alchohols because they can then claim that an item is low sugar/low carb. But I've heard differring opinions on the effects of sugar alchohols. Some protein bars and whatnot claim that sugar alchohols don't affect your glycemic index but at the same time my parents are diabetic and were told not to eat sugar alchohols because it will spike their blood sugar.

Sugar alcohols don't typically spike insulin levels, that's how the Atkins diet initially made their claim to fame. IMO the problem lies not with sugar alcohols, but with people's inability to control portions. Serving sizes of most of the things that contain sugar alcohols are very small, like two cookies, a half a bar, etc. But almost no one eats the small portions as they should. They're good little snacks if you can control portions, and if you can't you're going to have another problem. Sugar alcohols have a laxative affect, so too much of them and you're gonna be on the can for a while.

But for what they do they work well.

King Kabuki said:
Sugar alcohols have a laxative affect, so too much of them and you're gonna be on the can for a while.

I learned that the hard way.... :redface:

I never got the "trade sugar for alcohol" thing.

So I'm gonna restrict one unhealthy thing in my diet and replace it with another?

How about we just eat some good low-GI carbs? Is this not an option anymore? Am I in a dream?

lol Mick don't even try and ask why everything has to be sweet in the first-place. Your head will implode.

Sugar alcohol "hershey squirts" have a distinctive smell that I care not to revisit.

hmm, with promises like that, I'm thinking of going on a total sugar alcohol and asparagus diet

King Kabuki said:
Sugar alcohols don't typically spike insulin levels, that's how the Atkins diet initially made their claim to fame. IMO the problem lies not with sugar alcohols, but with people's inability to control portions. Serving sizes of most of the things that contain sugar alcohols are very small, like two cookies, a half a bar, etc. But almost no one eats the small portions as they should. They're good little snacks if you can control portions, and if you can't you're going to have another problem. Sugar alcohols have a laxative affect, so too much of them and you're gonna be on the can for a while.

But for what they do they work well.

I will chew through a pack or two of gum spontanously about once a month and i practically levitate i get the shits so bad. Each stick of gum has about 2 grams of sugar alcohol, so that's the problem. Thanks

Back