Sufficient power clean strength

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with setting goals, benchmarks or making comparisons to how you measure up to other lifters. I do all of the above myself. But there's all kinds of ways to set goals, or benchmarks, and what's important is what's meaningful goal to an individual, or what the individual has achieved, and not whether a particular chart says a particular lift is "intermediate" or "advanced" or what have you.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with setting goals, benchmarks or making comparisons to how you measure up to other lifters. I do all of the above myself. But there's all kinds of ways to set goals, or benchmarks, and what's important is what's meaningful goal to an individual, or what the individual has achieved, and not whether a particular chart says a particular lift is "intermediate" or "advanced" or what have you.

I agree about the charts, because I have never seen one that I thought was worth a damn. What worked for me when I was young and in high school was what the other guys on the wrestling team could lift or what the guys on the football team could lift. What worked for me when I was doing powerlifting was comparing myself to the world records and the lifts I read about in Powerlifting USA magazine. What worked for me when I was competing in weightlifting is what the American records were and what my competitors at Nationals were doing.

I was simply thinking what might work for the guy who asked the question, since he evidently didnt interact with enough people who power cleaned to form an firm opinion on his own, was some average numbers from average guys who do power clean regularly with pretty good form.

One thing is for sure, this thread has turned into most of the things I hate about the internet. Basically arguing about nothing.

"I'm Gary Peters. When I'm corrected by someone with a better grasp of reason than me, I go and look up how much they deadlift."

You know who I don't want to get lectured by? Idiots. That means you. You can deadlift more than me but when adults are having a discussion maybe you should keep your mouth shut.

Actually the reason I looked it up is to see if you were stronger than me or not. If someone is able to deadlift 700 lbs and i'm arguing with them over a topic about strength I would keep quiet because to me that's what matters. You got very defensive over a comment that wasnt initially directed toward you. Very common among keyboard warriors. Props to you sir, go work on that deadlift.

I dont know why asking for some sort of "standard" on an exercise is so controversial. Even in an MMA forum, for a guy training for MMA it still helps a little to have a goal, to know where you stand in relation to the world at large. Everyone knows what the "standards" are for a lift like the bench press, cause everyone does it, guys see other people at the gym doing it, people talk about it, etc. Everyone knows that 300lbs is pretty strong, your a stud if you can do 400lbs, and if you go over 500lbs without gear thats really at the elite levels.

Most people dont have that same feel for power clean numbers, because its not as common of an exercise. Hence the question.

Glenn and I agree... damn we must both be "idiots."

Actually the reason I looked it up is to see if you were stronger than me or not. If someone is able to deadlift 700 lbs and i'm arguing with them over a topic about strength I would keep quiet because to me that's what matters. You got very defensive over a comment that wasnt initially directed toward you. Very common among keyboard warriors. Props to you sir, go work on that deadlift.

Every comment you've made in this thread is utterly fatuous. Do you really want to commit to the position that you will not consider the perspective of anyone who deadlifts less than you? You can go ahead and do that if you like. However, please realize that you should've discarded 'logic' of that kind sometime between childhood and puberty.

PS: I'm also proud of my deadlift. I started strength training last year and had previously never gone to the gym nor played sports (except for a brief stint with muay thai in high school). I set the realistic goal of being able to deadlift 405 by this year and I'm confident I should be able to get that by my next 5-3-1- day in two weeks.

Small and modest goals, yes, but still worlds away from the weak and feeble state I was in before training. I attribute any success I have had to the knowledge, kind words, and advice of many posters on this board. If I responded negatively to you, realize that it's because you're fouling this place up with inarticulate nonsense and childish taunting. Grow up.

If you haven't noticed by now, this is the strength and conditioning forum and not the throwing technique forum, so perhaps your complaint isn't as valid as you initially supposed.

"I'm Gary Peters. When I'm corrected by someone with a better grasp of reason than me, I go and look up how much they deadlift."

You know who I don't want to get lectured by? Idiots. That means you. You can deadlift more than me but when adults are having a discussion maybe you should keep your mouth shut.

If I responded negatively to you, realize that it's because you're fouling this place up with inarticulate nonsense and childish taunting. Grow up.

Yep, i'm the one taunting?

All of my posts were based on experience until you just had to put in your two cents on something you don't know anything about.

Once again you took my post out of context. Let me spell it out for you. I am saying I would rather take advice from someone who has experience AND results rather than someone who simply reads about it and is not on the same level.

I'm sorry, I hit a nerve when I made fun of your deadlift. :wink:

I'll let you have the last word since every thing you say seems to make my point anyway.

Glenn and I agree... damn we must both be "idiots."

I have no idea where you agreeing with Glenn on the need for standards has anything to do with the discussion at hand.

Back