Social Suffering with stomach alot lately

clivers

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
i feel like im running out of options, i've always suffered with anxiety and depression but recently ive been going through something i've never been through before, I can't go more than a couple of days without severe stomach discomfort and pain with what feels like bloating.

I thought maybe it's certain foods that are triggering it but even after eating clean I can still be bad, it feels as though it's stress or anxiety related but i just don't know anymore.

I need to be able to work to pay rent but in my current state I'd never be able to hold down a job.

Most of the time it starts in the early hours, ill wake up feeling anxious with my heart racing and then things slowly go worse from there normally with my swallowing as my sinus's feel irritated or something at the back of my throat though I don't have a cold, I keep doing this and gradually end up with a build up of gas in my stomach which is really uncomfortable and end up unable to do anything the rest of the day apart from wait for bedtime again and hope for a better day.

Ive been on citalopram 20mg over 10 years but last year I changed to escitalopram as I thought maybe they'd help more with my depression, i was on them a few months but i kept getting headache on them and didnt like the sides so gradually came off them, I then did a few months without anything but everything got too much with me, stress of losing a job and then a pet dying sent me over the edge and I ended up back at the doctors and on citalopram 10mg.

This was about a week before January, I was getting really bad sides off them they'd make me feel high but not in a good way but i stuck with them, this was also when my stomach started getting worse, i'd often wake up at 3-4 am and be unable to go back to sleep with too much going on in my head.

After seeing the doctor again he prescribed me omeprazole 20mg, which have helped a bit, I no longer have acid and I don't wake up as early anymore and when I do sometimes I can get back to sleep. so in that regard things have improved a bit.

I ended up halfing my 10mg citalopram and have been on 5mg a day for a couple of weeks now as the sides just wern't going away and I felt it was irritating my already sensitive stomach.

I've had stool samples and it came back as fine, im booked in for a blood test and ultrasound on my stomach and the doctor recommended to double my dose of omeprazole one in the morning and one at night.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to get it all off my chest ive been suffering for months now with the odd good day in between I feel like this is how it's going to be now from now on with no end in sight.

The stomach discomfort makes me really irritable and unsociable i just want to stay in my room until it passes and any human interaction just bothers me.

This sounds to be psychosomatic, rather than just somatic.

Do you keep a food journal? When you say "eating clean", what does eating clean mean to you?

I have a couple of suggestions in mind.

When anxiety kicks in I always have the urge to take a shit. I don't know how to treat it really, I just go along with it like "hey, you're here, alright" and never take any meds. How's your diet? do you work out? are you in a relationship? what's your favorite poison, drugs/alcohol? I used to be a big drinker in college.

This sounds to be psychosomatic, rather than just somatic.

Do you keep a food journal? When you say "eating clean", what does eating clean mean to you?

I have a couple of suggestions in mind.

I try and keep to basic foods, oatmeal, decaf tea, apples celery etc just boring as shit food. it feels like it's never going to go away and everything takes forever with the doctors. i think im gonna go back to 10mg on my citalopram

giphy.gif

seriously though. I had a friend who used to have the same shit. we just nicknamed it "SV" (stomach virus). he's lucky that his manager was sympathetic to him having this/missing a week of work (or more) every month.

When anxiety kicks in I always have the urge to take a shit. I don't know how to treat it really, I just go along with it like "hey, you're here, alright" and never take any meds. How's your diet? do you work out? are you in a relationship? what's your favorite poison, drugs/alcohol? I used to be a big drinker in college.

i used to smoke weed for over 10 years but now i dont do anything, i try to go to the gym as often as i can sometimes doing 5 days a week but if i have a bad day i can't bring myself to go, i dont drink. im basically living a sober life and eating bland foods but still getting my ass kicked off whatever it is.

Just googled citalopram and jesus man.
Withdrawal symptoms can occur when this medicine is suddenly stopped, such as paraesthesiae, sleeping problems (difficulty sleeping and intense dreams), feeling dizzy, agitated or anxious, nausea, vomiting, tremors, confusion, sweating, headache, diarrhea, palpitations, changes in emotions, irritability, and eye or eyesight problems
Have you ever thought on stopping your medication? just the pills, I think talking to a shrink still helps.

Just googled citalopram and jesus man.

Have you ever thought on stopping your medication? just the pills, I think talking to a shrink still helps.

yes Ive stopped them before but I ended up in a bad place.

That's sounds like classic psychosomatic symptoms from the anxiety. So you've tried to "influence the body route", you could also try the influence the mind route. Did you try anything therapy-related for the anxiety? Do you have thoughts that maintain the anxiety e.g. catastrophizing?
You could also keep going the body route and try different weed products, get prescribed a different antidepressant by a doctor, etc.

Coronavirus brah. Get into hospital asap before all resources are used up!

yes Ive stopped them before but I ended up in a bad place.

Are you still in touch with your family/relatives? any chance some of them live in the country? a change of scenery usually helps, like, a lot. I fell off big time when I was in NY but after I graduated I go back to Wyoming and it mentally and physically helped me.

i feel like im running out of options, i've always suffered with anxiety and depression but recently ive been going through something i've never been through before, I can't go more than a couple of days without severe stomach discomfort and pain with what feels like bloating.

I thought maybe it's certain foods that are triggering it but even after eating clean I can still be bad, it feels as though it's stress or anxiety related but i just don't know anymore.

I need to be able to work to pay rent but in my current state I'd never be able to hold down a job.

Most of the time it starts in the early hours, ill wake up feeling anxious with my heart racing and then things slowly go worse from there normally with my swallowing as my sinus's feel irritated or something at the back of my throat though I don't have a cold, I keep doing this and gradually end up with a build up of gas in my stomach which is really uncomfortable and end up unable to do anything the rest of the day apart from wait for bedtime again and hope for a better day.

Ive been on citalopram 20mg over 10 years but last year I changed to escitalopram as I thought maybe they'd help more with my depression, i was on them a few months but i kept getting headache on them and didnt like the sides so gradually came off them, I then did a few months without anything but everything got too much with me, stress of losing a job and then a pet dying sent me over the edge and I ended up back at the doctors and on citalopram 10mg.

This was about a week before January, I was getting really bad sides off them they'd make me feel high but not in a good way but i stuck with them, this was also when my stomach started getting worse, i'd often wake up at 3-4 am and be unable to go back to sleep with too much going on in my head.

After seeing the doctor again he prescribed me omeprazole 20mg, which have helped a bit, I no longer have acid and I don't wake up as early anymore and when I do sometimes I can get back to sleep. so in that regard things have improved a bit.

I ended up halfing my 10mg citalopram and have been on 5mg a day for a couple of weeks now as the sides just wern't going away and I felt it was irritating my already sensitive stomach.

I've had stool samples and it came back as fine, im booked in for a blood test and ultrasound on my stomach and the doctor recommended to double my dose of omeprazole one in the morning and one at night.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to get it all off my chest ive been suffering for months now with the odd good day in between I feel like this is how it's going to be now from now on with no end in sight.

The stomach discomfort makes me really irritable and unsociable i just want to stay in my room until it passes and any human interaction just bothers me.
sounds like a problem with your medications......ofc eating clean or as clean of food as you can get is the best both for your physical and mental health but if youre hoping to really see and feel the benefits of doing that....just doing it a few days out of the week isnt going to bring about the results you want, you have to commit to it....

if you commit to a healthy clean diet, maintain your activity ((going to the gym)) and/or increasing it...these things will help shift your mind to a more positive place, medications are dirty and you should be constantly working at getting them out of your life

your mind is like a computer....it will run routines that you yourself program it to.....

when you say things like this "
I feel like this is how it's going to be now from now on with no end in sight.

The stomach discomfort makes me really irritable and unsociable i just want to stay in my room until it passes and any human interaction just bothers me." what do you think you are programming yourself for?

anxiety is something conquered through logic, understanding, reasoning and....programming...seek out the things that shine a light for you and things that give you a little lift inside, surround yourself with these, when you feel anxious...identify what is making you feel that way....understand why its coming out....reason out how its A)not helping you in a problem to lose control of your facilities and B) that ultimately no problem is worth any serious amount of stress....program yourself to be filled with sunshine and not darkness....be the sun that dispels the darkness be strong be smart be solid

no matter what happens today, tomorrow is still coming and the only way to march your ass to it is left foot right foot left foot right foot

good luck

I had to deal with a lot of stomach problems when I was a teenager, I wouldn't take my medication. I ended up developing some, mental or physical anxiety where it felt like I was burning from the inside out. Nobody believed me, even when I lost 40-60 pounds and was 6' foot, 142 pounds. I stopped eating, because it made me throw up. Anxiety is a real bitch, and you can't diagnose it like a broken bone. If they can't see it, it's bullshit. Put you on some meds and send you home.

In the end, now I'm on the right meds and my stomach is much better. It took a few tries, different doctors, but in the end if I keep on the pills I'm on, that burning sensation and throwing up of food goes away. My advice, if the medication works, then start meditation, nobody can rewire you're brain but you.

That’s not good bruv, the problem is the medication you’re taking along with your stresses is causing a blockage in your bowels and you need to do a massive shit, get some laxatives or hospital grade ones if it comes to that

U know it's the pills bro, u gotta he strong and cut the pharmaceuticals out of ur life

What you consider eating clean may not really be 'clean'. Do you eat gluten? Ever been tested for Celiac's? Have you done something like whole 30?

Depression/Anxiety and IBS go hand in hand.

I have had issues with IBS and anxiety most of my adult life and stress is the biggest part of it. You are stressing the symptoms which makes them worse. Read Healing Back Pain by Dr. Sarno...it helped me a lot but I am still a work in progress.

A strong probiotic
That Beano stuff (to help with gas and bloating)
A Fibre supplement to keep you regular (as much as possible - when the anxiety hits it can cause issues with constipation in my experience - the kind that does not cause gas/bloating)
lots of water
Eating clean as much as possible (fruits, veggies, home cooked meats, etc)
Rest as much as possible
Deep Breathing/meditation
CBD oil
Hobbies that engage you
Staying away from junk foods as much as possible
fermented foods/drinks - kefer milk, kombucha tea, sauerkraut
Not being pushed in to over working yourself and taking time for yourself and not feeling guilty about it.

Not everything is going to work for everyone - you gotta do some trial and error.

Back