Sucker Punchers

Do you have a gif? I don't remember this.

Hmmm. Can't seem to find any gifs or video.

Just rewatched the fight, it was only one shot at the end of the 3rd round while GSP was sitting up from guard, Diaz wings a punch at him (I think he was just fucking with him, still fucked up.)

After the first round he kind of makes toward Georges after the bell, but he didn't really throw a punch (kind of but not really), that's why I thought multiple.

Hmmm. Can't seem to find any gifs or video.

Just rewatched the fight, it was only one shot at the end of the 3rd round while GSP was sitting up from guard, Diaz wings a punch at him (I think he was just fucking with him, still fucked up.)

After the first round he kind of makes toward Georges after the bell, but he didn't really throw a punch (kind of but not really), that's why I thought multiple.

Now that you describe it I do remember him throwing punches at the bell that he sort of pulled back on once or twice. I think he conducted himself well in that fight but the 209 brawl with Mayhem would definilty count as sucker punching.

campuzanoglove.gif

I'm 3-2 in bar fights with this move.

Diaz slapped GSP after the bell (I think it was end of round 3?), from underneath (GSP was on top). Typical bulls..t tough guy bully behavior - acting tough when the referee is jumping in to stop the action: "hold me back bro". Not as flagrant as Daley on Koscheck, but still unprofessional and vile.

I haven't seen the fight in a while and can't really watch it right now but I remember him going to touch gloves and he hit Morecraft at the same time, I didn't remember if it was a punch or a kick but that's not really the point, what he did fits the criteria of what I'm talking about.

I have edited the OP to show that I don't remember what strike he hit him with but that he hit him during the glove touching at the beginning of the fight.

Hmmm. He touched gloves and after they touched gloves he threw a legkick maybe 0.5 seconds faster than fighters usually do. I remember his lip touching the ground, his head being completely bashed in and him being 21, after he has never shown any signs of being a dirty fighter. So in my opinion it's harsh to talk about this.

So Struve, your first example, is sort of a bad one. And yeah, I am defending the kid. ;)

Just read your edit though, it's stuck in your brain like that. Emotions can mess up your memory.

Last edited:
Hitting someone with an illegal strike on purpose isn't a sucker punch? I disagree, it's the same concept, you don't train to defend illegal strikes thus they are completley unexpected so = sucker punch.

You just reminded me of another one actually.

Anderson vs Okami 1: Illegal up-kick.

I understand were you are coming from, but to me a sucker punch has always meant throwing a strike when it is not expected. The middle of a prize fight is not an unexpected time to throw a strike. By your definition, every low blow is a sucker punch.

I'm 3-2 in bar fights with this move.

I'm 2-0 against people using this move on me in barfights.

Thing is, I go to bars and hang out with my friends and whatnot.... but I don't drink. I'm always DD. So these drunk fuckers decided to pick on the skinny guy and, well.....

He points up in the air and extends his arm towards Fisher, not sure why, then Fisher flew threw the air and KOed him but I said in the OP it wouldnt' count as it's not expected to touch gloves randomly during the middle of a fight, it's not like it happened after an accidental nut shot or anything.

He wags his finger like he's saying "you didn't hurt me," but he doesn't reach out to touch gloves.

spencer-fisher_matt-wiman.gif

[YT]8o2ooYnLyM8[/YT]

the end of the fight is dirty as hell. watching that always make me rage.

another one.

[YT]K2g8gIDgm1Y[/YT]

i have no problem with the fake hand tap to 'sucker punch' after the round has started. i've always thought it was pretty retarded to do that when a round starts considering you already have the opportunity to touch gloves before the round starts. not to mention a fighter should be able to set his own rhythm from the start of the bell, not feel obligating to waste the opening seconds and react to his opponent with a hand tap.

if you dont think the herring thing was at least a partial work on the part of nakao,your nuts. that punch wasnt knockin anyone out

Me not a gay guy

WTF??? Nobody has mentioned Diaz's sorry ass throwing multiple late shots at GSP?

Of course not, we don't want all the Diaz fankids to get upset this close to the end of the school year.

i have no problem with the fake hand tap to 'sucker punch' after the round has started. i've always thought it was pretty retarded to do that when a round starts considering you already have the opportunity to touch gloves before the round starts. not to mention a fighter should be able to set his own rhythm from the start of the bell, not feel obligating to waste the opening seconds and react to his opponent with a hand tap.

WTF are you talking about? Sheridan was the one who put his hand up to touch gloves.

Sheila Gaff (before she fought in the UFC) vs. Jennifer Maia (IIRC) is the classic example of a sucker punch. Jennifer raise her gloves to touch at the bell, Sheila pretended to do he same, and then WHAM, down went Jennifer. A few seconds of GnP and the fight was over: victory by deception.

Jarl

Werdum's point-then-punch is the epitome of a sucker-punch, in that he tries to "sucker" his opponent into looking where he's pointing and then tries to punch them while they're distracted

if you dont think the herring thing was at least a partial work on the part of nakao,your nuts. that punch wasnt knockin anyone out

A sucker punch to the jaw from a 240 pound dude would pretty well ko anybody. I can't be 100% sure obviously but ima go with no work on that one.

Back