Successful Thai Clinch

DrewGZA

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what the best exercises would be to apply and hold onto a successful Muay Thai clinch. It would probably involve something to keep your elbows pinched together, as well as the power to throw your opponent back and forth like a rag doll, and be able to still stand up and dish out punishment if he just tries to drop out of it; not to mention bring up really powerful knees from there.

Also if they are taller than you if the exercises should be in any way modified.

Thanks.

Practice your thai clinch?

How about you build overall strength and apply that to your thai clinch techniques...

How about you build overall strength and apply that to your thai clinch techniques...

Well you build different muscle with different exercises. Only some are being used when you implement that move. Strength isn't really interchangable with power, and that's what I need anyway to deal damage, as opposed to just holding onto them and overcoming their neck and lower back strength.

I guess plyometric exercises like would be used for that olympic sport where they run and jump over these obstacles every few meters would be best for the knee power.

Just gotta get a good pulling exercise and one that works the muscles that keeps your elbows pinched together should help the most.

Well you build different muscle with different exercises. Only some are being used when you implement that move. Strength isn't really interchangable with power, and that's what I need anyway to deal damage, as opposed to just holding onto them and overcoming their neck and lower back strength.

I guess plyometric exercises like would be used for that olympic sport where they run and jump over these obstacles every few meters would be best for the knee power.

Just gotta get a good pulling exercise and one that works the muscles that keeps your elbows pinched together should help the most.

Wow. You build different muscle with different excercises? Have you thought of writing a book?

Seriously though do you currently have a balanced strength program? If so post it here so we can give more informed advice, and if not read the FAQ.

A good Thai clinch is almost all technique. I would not worry about targeting your strength for this, just build your overall strength and work drills with an opponent.

You also posted THE EXACT SAME QUESTION here a month ago and never responded to anything posted in that thread. I hesitate to say it, but it seems like you're avoiding personal research and asking us to spoon feed you what you already have decided you want to hear.

it seems like pullups with opposite hand grips would be good (you can alternate pulling your head up on either side of the bar). also barbell and dumbell pullovers! bent over barbell rows with the bar empty on one end (between your legs and behind you), and weighted on the end you are rowing (whatever it is called).

it seems like pullups with opposite hand grips would be good (you can alternate pulling your head up on either side of the bar). also barbell and dumbell pullovers! bent over barbell rows with the bar empty on one end (between your legs and behind you), and weighted on the end you are rowing (whatever it is called).

Thanks, I'm gonna try that.

Practicing the techniques themselves will be your number 1. The resistance training you get from working with a good partner will be the best way to make efficient motor-pathways and all that.

*Other* exercises that help would be chin-ups, any rowing motions, and climbing rope.

A good Thai clinch is almost all technique. I would not worry about targeting your strength for this, just build your overall strength and work drills with an opponent.

The only opponent I have right now is my little sister :(. Throwing her around like a rag doll is easy hehe. And I don't have time or money to take classes on muay thai, but wanna get instructional books or videos like BJ Penn's Book of Knowledge, or learn more stuff from his web site.

Plus I'm not gonna be at the black belt level anytime soon even if I was learning it lol.

Self taught Muay Thai is a VERY bad idea.

Why do you want a stronger thai clinch if you don't need a stronger thai clinch?

Build total body strength, don't worry about making your forearms more beefy or making your man cleavage power stronger so you can squeeze your opponents neck enough for them to submit and suck your cock.

If you don't have time or money to take classes on muay thai, why are you going to spend time getting a stronger thai clinch and money buying books?

You know what I just thought of?

Somewhere, there's a Thai ladyboy with a wicked Thai clinch and a sweet set of bewbs.

Theres no black belts in Muay Thai mate.

Tbh strength isnt *that* important in the clinch. If you are in a bad position youre pretty much fucked and no amount of strength is going to get you out of it. Its very much a timing and leverage thing so focus on improving those.

And try to practice on people your size, too.

I also love how the people who make these kind of threads ALWAYS say they have no time or money to train properly.

Theres no black belts in Muay Thai mate.
True, but many instructors in non-Japanese arts use belts and colored uniforms for rank. My school taught a variety of arts and used colored sashes, shirts, etc. depending on the art. The Thai class had four different colored shirts, with the advanced students wearing black. I'm not a fan of this, but it is pretty common.

True, but many instructors in non-Japanese arts use belts and colored uniforms for rank. My school taught a variety of arts and used colored sashes, shirts, etc. depending on the art. The Thai class had four different colored shirts, with the advanced students wearing black. I'm not a fan of this, but it is pretty common.

Muay Thai is about fighting not grading, if theres no belts in the gyms and locations where it originated from - why is there belts for it in Western countries? Makes no sense.

Back