Substituting bench with incline bench?

MrHandsome

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, sorry... newb question. Just wondering if its alright to sub bench with incline bench? Been following the Starting Strength routine for awhile now and was thinking of switching out bench for incline bench. Would this be alright?

Why can't you follow it as written?

My goals are to get stronger overall and also improve my strength for judo.

as long as it isn't a decline bench you are fine.

as long as it isn't a decline bench you are fine.
Why exactly the hate for decline bench though? I assume its associated with curl monkeys or charms? (Chest+Arms Dudes) Also, how do the incline and normal bench measure up next to each other? Can you lift more in a normal bench than incline or the other way around?

I've always preferred Incline Bench personally. The heavier focus on the shoulders makes my Overhead Pressing happy. There's nothing wrong with the substitution, but do make sure to make up for it with some flat benching every few weeks.

And oxcart, it's okay to modify programs. Not everyone is made the same. I think the principles are often more important with routines than actually following it 100% to the tee.

Edit: damn double post, I thought my message didn't get through.

Decline sucks because it's dangerous and doesn't work that well. You can usually do more on flat than on incline, and incline puts more focus on the deltoids.

And oxcart, it's okay to modify programs. Not everyone is made the same. I think the principles are often more important with routines than actually following it 100% to the tee.

Yes, but sometimes a little change here and a little change there and blah blah blah.... analysis paralysis!

Decline sucks because it's dangerous and doesn't work that well. You can usually do more on flat than on incline, and incline puts more focus on the deltoids.
Alright thanks for clearing it up for me. I need to work more on my overhead pressing too anyway. Also, what lifts would translate well into judo? I guess pulling and pushing motions are important so does that mean I should work on presses and rows?

Alright thanks for clearing it up for me. I need to work more on my overhead pressing too anyway. Also, what lifts would translate well into judo? I guess pulling and pushing motions are important so does that mean I should work on presses and rows?

Wood chopping motions

I started liftiing heavy using flat as my only bench for a football strength program....when i realized i was a lot shorter than a lot of other lineman i switched over to incline as my main press. I got as strong if not stronger on incline (315 for 4-5) as flat....one day being a stupid fuck, i decided to do some flat for the hell of it...tore my pec off the bone....since surgery im back to incline as my main press

I started liftiing heavy using flat as my only bench for a football strength program....when i realized i was a lot shorter than a lot of other lineman i switched over to incline as my main press. I got as strong if not stronger on incline (315 for 4-5) as flat....one day being a stupid fuck, i decided to do some flat for the hell of it...tore my pec off the bone....since surgery im back to incline as my main press
Ouch! How did this happen? Oh and calvo, I don't get how chopping wood helps with judo...

Ouch! How did this happen? Oh and calvo, I don't get how chopping wood helps with judo...

freak accident i guess...like i said though i had been doing incline as my main press for over a year at this point but i decided to do flat that day....i warmed up with 135, then 185, then 225, then 285 for 6reps...decided to do 305 for double and move on to incline.
the second i unracked it, i heard popping and tearing and i dropped the thing (had a spotter on each side luckily)

It's mad similar to dips, too, except it doesn't work your core.

Hey, sorry... newb question. Just wondering if its alright to sub bench with incline bench? Been following the Starting Strength routine for awhile now and was thinking of switching out bench for incline bench. Would this be alright?

Don't mess with the Starting Strength program.

Back