Subs/moves you're afraid to use?

Just curious, why any leg locks? I've had worse luck with achilles locks than heel hooks on people in terms of injuries, so heel hooks don't scare me at all. But ultimately, like any sub, a fuck up can happen. Might as well get acquainted with them in the event someone puts them on you in comp.

I guess it's like how I'm worried about reverse omo's. I never learned it from an instructor and even though I'm in position for it from crucifix, I never take it because I feel like I'll roll faster than my partner and they'll be injured. And I'd be responsible for that. But other guys are fine with it because they train it, I guess. And on the flip side, I'm super comfortable with heel hooks.

So guys that are afraid of heel hooks know how to do them, but probably don't train them enough to be comfortable with them.

I think the key is to have competent guys on both sides. The guy putting it on has to be competent enough to control the position before cranking to avoid injuries. The guy on the receiving end of the heel hook has to be competent enough to know when to tap. Same with the reverse omo. I mean, if I go for a reverse omo on a guy who doesn't know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance that I'll injure them.

Just my theory though.

You could end up like that if you don't train armbars enough though. I get that an injury from a heel hook > injury from an armbar but education and practice seem to be key here.

neck crank/nose crank from a back take feels cheap. i don't begrudge anyone doing them in MMA or ADCC, but people that pull that shit in practice piss me off. yeah, uke shouldn't concede position, but practice isn't about easy 'wins' or whatever.

wristlocks suck because they almost always pass the no pain/fuck you threshold too quickly. it's hard to do them slowly, and i think they're a lot more IRL practical/effective if applied with 'snap' in mind.

My first instinct was to say baratoplata because that move scares the shit out of me, but a lot of guys here brought up the reverse omoplata and I'd have to agree with that one as well. I think the shoulders are one of the most vulnerable joints on the human body so I try not to attack them with something where I may not be able to stop my own momentum should they not move with me the right way.

Once I saw this vid of my own match and saw the way the guy landed on his neck/head, I retired this particular Kimura Takedown (which sucks because I was super proud of it, but yeah, his landing looks brutal in slow motion)

[YT]agkacDyqMXo[/YT]

Isn't it his fault for shooting a shitty takedown

You could end up like that if you don't train armbars enough though..

No you won't.

You can safely armbar someone who doesn't know what he is doing.
People keep saying stupid shit how toe holds and heel hooks are perfectly safe yet it in high level matches someone is always limping when they are finished.
Of course they can be trained safely but I find claiming that white belts should be going berserk heelhooking themself idiotic.

Last edited:
My arm has been fucked for awhile due to armbars. Randomly it acts up and my elbow becomes useless.

So I would disagree on their safety lol

hh and toe holds, I dont see the problem with any other type of sub, slicers are dangerous, specially biceps, calf slicers, meh, just dont go toquinho in training...

I seriusly dont know why some of you guys say leg locks in general, straight ankle locks are about pretty safe, kneebars are not dangerous either...

No you won't.

You can safely armbar someone who doesn't know what he is doing.
People keep saying stupid shit how toe holds and heel hooks are perfectly safe yet it in high level matches someone is always limping when they are finished.
Of course they can be trained safely but I find claiming that white belts should be going berserk heelhooking themself idiotic.

No one is claiming what white belts should be heelhooking all the time. And your point about toe holds and heel hooks doesn't really carry weight. Plenty of guys get their arms hurt. But since your whole weight is on your foot, the injury is going to be more visibly apparent on the leg/foot than on the arm.

My arm has been fucked for awhile due to armbars. Randomly it acts up and my elbow becomes useless.

So I would disagree on their safety lol

Exactly.

Wrist locks. I really agitated someone's wrist with one when I was a beginner, and I've come close to getting my own wrist hurt from them as well.

Let me see you walk on your hands, putting all your weight on your arms, after an armbar that you probably didn't tap early to. See if you don't limp on your arms.

Kimuras are my bread and butter move, but I generally ask the guy I'm rolling with it he is ok after doing it. There are many times where it seemed like my opponents arm bent farther than it should've before they tapped. And I'm not the type to yank someone's arm into submission.

I also avoid leg locks. They just seem kind of cheap and it's too easy to really hurt someone with them.

And I will not force rear naked chokes unless I know I have them fully locked in. Too many guys I have rolled with will just squeeze your jaw trying to get a choke that isnt there. Its annoying and feels a little dangerous. I might put a little pressure on the jaw to make the person uncormfortable in an attempt to make them give up their neck, but I won't full force squeeze their jaw trying to get a choke that isn't there.

TS actually the only time I've ever really injured someone somewhat badly it was a straight armbar. We were both white belts. He was a good wrestler but small. I had kob or side for ntrol, and it wasn't clean so I was cranking hard. I think he went with that wrestler's instinct to just get off his back, and rolled the wrong way, and it popped badly. I felt bad. He was out for a while and just never really came back.

Back