Subs/moves you're afraid to use?

dmwalking

Sapateiro Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Are there any submissions or moves that you're afraid to use for fear of injuring your partner?

For some reason, I'm terrified of using the straight armlock. It seems like a move that a lot of guys resist and I feel like I may accidentally pop an elbow. I don't really know my own strength when it comes to my arms.

Every other sub either comes from your core or your hips. I feel like it's easier to apply slow controlled pressure that way. But I feel like I might accidentally go 0-100 on a straight arm.

I'm also afraid of doing any kind of jumping guard passes. I'm heavy and I'm afraid of hurting someone.

I don't heel hook in training.and I get very prickly if someone try's to heel hook me.

I rarely wrist lock or bicep slice people. I like rolling omoplatas but I never try to finish them in training.

Rolling kimura. Would use it in comp but not in training.

At first I thought this meant subs that people don't feel are worth going for because they see them as low percentage.

But yeah I agree with the person who said rolling kimuras. Knee bars get me a little worried too.

I don't really like neck cranks. I don't complain if someone does it in no gi but I don't really practice them or go for them when rolling.

Leg locks in general, because I'm not familiar enough with them. I don't like going for any sub that I'm not familiar with because I don't want to fuck it up and injure someone.

I'll only go for something once I'm confident in all the basics of the move.

I'm currently learning a lot about leg locks to fill that massive hole in my game.

Bicep slicers.

I use the sweep all the time, but I'm not a fan of the submission. Ironically, bony fractures have a muuuch quicker recovery than the soft tissue tendon/ligament damage that most submissions saddle you with. So my squeamishness about it is illogical.

Aside from the issue of a bone fragment possibly cutting a major blood vessel or nerve (ridiculously rare in a grappling context but it can happen), I'd rather break a bone than get a sprain/strain.

Once I saw this vid of my own match and saw the way the guy landed on his neck/head, I retired this particular Kimura Takedown (which sucks because I was super proud of it, but yeah, his landing looks brutal in slow motion)

[YT]agkacDyqMXo[/YT]

I'm a white belt, so not supposed to use them in rolling anyway, but I am always really apprehensive about applying heel hooks and toe holds.

I went to a seminar with Ricardo Liborio once and he had us all drilling them. Whole time I'm applying either of them I'm staring at the other guy to make sure I don't wind it on too far lol...

bicep slicers.

I don't do HH.

Toe hold are relatively safer than the above and you can torque quiet a lot.

bicep slicers.

I don't do HH.

Toe hold are relatively safer than the above and you can torque quiet a lot.

Our Professor has a gnarly scar from being bicep sliced. He still taught us some bicep and calf slicers at seminars, including a pretty sweet standing bicep slicer, as part of the coverage of self defense/t3h str33tz moves. Also had a female black belt come through and show us a cool sweep from lasso guard that has you coming up into a bicep slicer; she told us to make sure and free the leg otherwise we'd get penalised for it.

There was a couple bicep slicer techniques in the art I used to train in too, so I'm reasonably comfortable at least drilling them. Wouldn't use them "live" unless I was wanting to actually follow all the way through with it though.

I disagree. It's a very easy move to control when you apply it.

Never used or trained it to be honest. I feel like just my front roll would tear the shoulder. Guess if you're used to it it's not scary.

I will never heel hook anyone, and avoid most leg locks since they always leave your own exposed as well.
Also reverse omoplata for the same reason many people have said. Pressure just comes on way too fast. First (and last) time I ever did one it was by accident and I fractured a guys arm.

It is all dependent on who I am rolling with. The white belts have this thing where they would rather get injured and sit out for 6 months to a year than tap. So, I wouldn't say that I hold back subs, but I do play catch and release on them. Things like inverted heel hooks and toe holds I'll hold for a couple seconds and let them out.

I used to be wary of people heel hooking me, until I started getting better at leg locks in general.

Familiarity assuages fears.

Back