Submit Everyone

CWBinDC

White Belt
Reaction score
Any idea why Submit Everyone: The Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu Files: Classified Field Manual for Becoming a Submission-focused Fighter gets so much hate in the top reviews on Amazon.

Like most major bjj/mma/martial arts generally books on Amazon it's got many 4 and 5 star reviews, but unlike any other book I've seen on the site the very few people reviewers that hate it are voted to the top of the reviews.

42 of 45 reviews say it's great. But the top review is one of the two that give one star and 78 of 83 customers voted it most useful. So 78 people are endorsing the view that's terrible(if the review was all wrong you could really say it's a useful review), but only 3 negative reviews. second highest review also hates it.

Even if friends of the author wrote all 42 positive reviews as favors, wouldn't you see more mid or bad reviews? The top reviewer complains that positive votes came out too early, but there several later on. There are three five star reviews since the fall with 2 verified purchases and two with a bunch of other reviews.

Anyway, anyone just looking at the average rating would think there was hardly anyone complaining.

-CWB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Probably because the worst reviews were the only critical ones and gave you the most information regarding what was actually in the book. How many 'Great book, love the Camarillo bros' reviews do you expect will get upvoted? Also, it was a very idiosyncratic book, written in that odd, forced, military style, so I could see a lot of people responding to reviews that pointed that out in detail.

Plus, rating inflation is an issue in almost any system of subjective reviews. Most people will give everything 4-5 stars pretty uncritically, so seeing a lot of high reviews probably masked how much actual variation exists among reviewers. My 4 stars and yours could be very different, but we aren't measuring on the same scale.

It's the US government. They don't like their secret military files being released to the public.

I could give maybe 50% credit to the bad review being detailed, it is and that helps.

Flipside is people that disagree find lots of ammo in longer reviews. Some of the higher reviews are basically rebuttals to things other people are saying about a book.

if you go through all the reviews. only 3 are negative.. the rest are 4 or 5 stars

Most publishers can generate 4-5 star reviews for their books, so I read the 1-2 stars to see if they make any good arguments. Not saying this is the case for Submit Everyone, but I've seen it with other books.

I've seen it at a book store quite a while ago. I kind of get why the reviewer might think it's bad remembering the pictures but I can't really judge the content.

Anything that dave camarillo puts out will be quality. So this book is worth checking out.

I've seen it at a book store quite a while ago. I kind of get why the reviewer might think it's bad remembering the pictures but I can't really judge the content.

It was okay, I found the odd language and style very distracting rather than helpful, you don't need to reinvent the wheel on these things just provide good, readable content. And I think it should have been called 'armbar everyone', because that's the majority of the book. I can't hate too much though, I use kimura control all the time. Actually, I got away from it a little and need to go back, it works great...

Any idea why Submit Everyone: The Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu Files: Classified Field Manual for Becoming a Submission-focused Fighter gets so much hate in the top reviews on Amazon.

Like most major bjj/mma/martial arts generally books on Amazon it's got many 4 and 5 star reviews, but unlike any other book I've seen on the site the very few people reviewers that hate it are voted to the top of the reviews.

42 of 45 reviews say it's great. But the top review is one of the two that give one star and 78 of 83 customers voted it most useful. So 78 people are endorsing the view that's terrible(if the review was all wrong you could really say it's a useful review), but only 3 negative reviews. second highest review also hates it.

Even if friends of the author wrote all 42 positive reviews as favors, wouldn't you see more mid or bad reviews? The top reviewer complains that positive votes came out too early, but there several later on. There are three five star reviews since the fall with 2 verified purchases and two with a bunch of other reviews.

Anyway, anyone just looking at the average rating would think there was hardly anyone complaining.

-CWB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846
the way the book is written is really really dumb and distracting, the material is pretty good though

I own it and keep it in the bathroom for rough shits

I own the book. Its written in way that is very distracting. If you can get past that, the principles described are very useful for creating a constantly attacking gameplan. The book is best for armbar lovers. I bought it, and now I can armbar people from a million positions, so I suppose it was worth the price.

Majority of those 5 star reviews are fake.

"This book is a fantastic addition to any grapplers library. It targets finishing holds, and submissions. The level of detail is impressive, as is the variety of maneuvers. You should be hard pressed to find another book with as much depth as this. So do yourself a favor, and buy it!"

"Easy to follow and yet suddle enough to visualize with the flow and intensity. Thank you to the Author for the graceful instruction, thank you to Black belts involved."

LOL. You think that these guys really read the book?

It is a bad book, plain and simple.

Writing is horrible, full of stupid, gimmicky military terms. Layout is weird. Techniques are disorganized. It is simply unreadable. And I love Dave Camarillo and his style of Jiu-Jitsu.

On the other hand, the book has many interesting concepts: the idea of finding one submission and basing your game around it, hunting it constantly has improved my game a lot. Also the concept of kimura grip control/armbar is awesome.

I would say buy the book, hate it like everyone else and pick up some concepts that will improve your game.

Last edited:
Fake not fake who cares. I know that everyone who knows his Jiu Jitsu knows who Dave is and knows that if Dave speaks you better STFU and listen because its most likely gold.

I have the book and I love it. Would I prefer a DVD from Dave? OMG that would be a dream come true. No Judo DVD, no a BJJ DVD. I know so many people who would buy anything Dave would bring out on DVD. Hope he does share his knowledge. Would be a shame if he would not share his knowledge and it would go to waste. I believe he would have a huge influence on the BJJ world and many would use his stuff if only he would bring out DVD(s)

So yes buy the book. Dave is up there with Marcelo Garcia for me.

Back