Submissions from 'top'?

ovahdryve

White Belt
Reaction score
I have just started training and when we are practising grappling and I find myself in my opponents guard I have no clue what to do from there? Usually I would punch etc. but when we are rolling I can't.

Anyone got any techniques that I can do from this position? I know what to do from mount etc. but its from my opponents guard that I'm unsure of.

Sorry for the noob question & thank you.

Pass his guard.

Pass the guard. The chance that you will sub anyone from inside their guard is next to none.

You have two options from inside the guard.

1) Pass

or

2) Pass

Yes it is a noob question but everyone starting out has the same problem. When you are in someones guard you have one job to do. Pass the guard. Nothing else.

Why pass his guard, when a more viable option is to just pass his guard?

I have just started training and when we are practising grappling and I find myself in my opponents guard I have no clue what to do from there? Usually I would punch etc. but when we are rolling I can't.

Anyone got any techniques that I can do from this position? I know what to do from mount etc. but its from my opponents guard that I'm unsure of.

Sorry for the noob question & thank you.

Pass that guard man. There aren't really any submissions for you inside someone's guard. Leglocks but you need to have a foundation in knowing how to pass before you just fall back on a leg.

1. Stand up
2. Run forward.
3. Push him down so he is upside down between your legs.
4. Boston crab/Walls Of Jericho

Yeah but what if you really wanted to just pass the guard instead?

Well remember that jiu jitsu works best when chaining together techniques. So i would say option A would be to pass, if that fails switch to option B, which would be to pass, option C would be to pass. If ALL of these fail, you could always just fall back on passing, i suppose.

Well remember that jiu jitsu works best when chaining together techniques. So i would say option A would be to pass, if that fails switch to option B, which would be to pass, option C would be to pass. If ALL of these fail, you could always just fall back on passing, i suppose.

Oh right, how could we all be so stupid? The classic pass -> pass -> pass combo. Works every time.

This seems like a good time to ask but are leglocks of ANY kinda illegal in BJJ which is why you don't hear people tell you to do that?

This seems like a good time to ask but are leglocks of ANY kinda illegal in BJJ which is why you don't hear people tell you to do that?

This will start a huge debate on legality :icon_conf

Under IBJJF rules a straight footlock is always legal, heelhooks are always illegal and kneebars, toeholds, calf slicers and other leglocks become legal at brown belt.

However other federations and competitions have different rules and most BJJ gyms will train leg locks as they are still an important part.

They, however, a poor option to take when passing guard (especially as a noob) as the leg can slip out and you will have given up position while flailing for a footlock.

This will start a huge debate on legality :icon_conf

Under IBJJF rules a straight footlock is always legal, heelhooks are always illegal and kneebars, toeholds, calf slicers and other leglocks become legal at brown belt.

However other federations and competitions have different rules and most BJJ gyms will train leg locks as they are still an important part.

They, however, a poor option to take when passing guard (especially as a noob) as the leg can slip out and you will have given up position while flailing for a footlock.

Ok, I was just curious. Figured heelhooks would be considered illegal no matter what but was curious about everything else.

troll_2.jpg

1 post!!!

Back