[Submissions] Examples Of Good Sportsmanship [+GIFS]

i guess we're only talking about subs, but cant help but remember how shogun jumped off machida before the ref even stopped it - and that was for the title

in terms of subs, i remember many times when someone lets go early, i think werdum / nogiera is an example

Pettis letting go before the ref was aware that Bendo had verbally submitted could have forced him to continue fighting after technically winning if Bendo chose to lie. It's not like anyone other than Pettis seemed to be aware that Bendo was done. A nice thing to do, sure, but not really a good idea.

Pettis clarified on the MMA hour that aside from the verbal tap, he let go on the second time he felt and heard Bendos arm pop.

He said that even if he wanted to continue it wouldn't have mattered, the arm was donzo.

This may all be bullshit.
When Royce fought Hughes, was there a situation where Hughes had an armbar/shoulder lock in tight, and when he realized that Royce had no intent of submitting, he released it rather than breaking the arm?

This may be all dissproven/made up or exaggeration on Hughes' part.

Shogun stepping off of the napping Machida, and celebrating before the ref even waved it off was classy as fuck.

Not sure if you're being a smart ass lol Shogun could have landed 2-3 more punches of he wanted to.

i guess we're only talking about subs, but cant help but remember how shogun jumped off machida before the ref even stopped it - and that was for the title

in terms of subs, i remember many times when someone lets go early, i think werdum / nogiera is an example

HA! Beat you to it...but yeah. That one, sticks out for me because it was for a title...and his class basically saved Lyoto from probably 7-8 additional shots from any other fighter (based on where the ref was).

Pettis clarified on the MMA hour that aside from the verbal tap, he let go on the second time he felt and heard Bendos arm pop.

He said that even if he wanted to continue it wouldn't have mattered, the arm was donzo.

Had no idea. I should really look things like that up.

Thanks, man.

Most fighters are honourable sportsmen really, would be easier to point out the foul apples :D

But Struve's armbar on Lavar Johnson definitely deserves a gif

Shogun stepping off of the napping Machida, and celebrating before the ref even waved it off was classy as fuck.

I just rewatched that fight the other day and it really stood out to me too.

Not sure if you're being a smart ass lol Shogun could have landed 2-3 more punches of he wanted to.

isn't that exactly what he said? I don't think he was being sarcastic. Shogun is always pure class.

Had no idea. I should really look things like that up.

Thanks, man.

Definitely.

Pettis is actually a great interview you should check out that episode of MMA Hour if you are a fan. I actually don't very much like Ariel or his style as a journalist but he by far as the most access to the MMA world.

isn't that exactly what he said? I don't think he was being sarcastic. Shogun is always pure class.

The term classy as fuck is usually used for sarcasm. Plus it's Sherdog. Never can tell who is joking or not.

Thought of this aswell.
And in a "pass-it-on" type of mentality. Machida-Bader was also great self control.

The term classy as fuck is usually used for sarcasm. Plus it's Sherdog. Never can tell who is joking or not.

No I was being serious...and in that position, I bet he could have landed a good 5-10 more shots had he been a dick.

Seriously no response?
If he would have snapped his ankle like we know he could have the second he could have it, there would be no whining at all. But instead he holds it a literal second too long in some people's eyes and he's a unsportman like bastard.

Just imagine. He locks it in and snaps it all in second. Snap crack pop. Gee he didn't hold that too long did he?

Grow up

Definitely.

Pettis is actually a great interview you should check out that episode of MMA Hour if you are a fan. I actually don't very much like Ariel or his style as a journalist but he by far as the most access to the MMA world.

I think I miss a lot of good interviews 'cos of my distaste for Ariel. I don't hate him, but something about him just rubs me the wrong way.
But I'll check it out. I was ecstatic when Pettis took the title; should keep up on what he's had to say since.

My issue is that he is a BJJ veteran. He knows what is going on, and knows what it means when a guy taps the shit out of his ass...which Pierce did.

Had he tapped the mat, or verbally tapped and Paul Harris not heard or seen...then I get it and he gets a pass. Pierce rapidly tapped on dat ass, and the ref dove in. He should have let go immediately.

I think I miss a lot of good interviews 'cos of my distaste for Ariel. I don't hit him, but something about him just rubs me the wrong way.
But I'll check it out. I was ecstatic when Pettis took the title; should keep up on what he's had to say since.

Feel the same way - I only listen when it's for interviews I just can't pass up. Pettis is one of those guys who's very forthcoming and gives a great interview, comfortable in his own skin.

Ariel injects all sorts of BS about pro wrestling or drama questions at every turn, it's quite annoying he's the only guy with high caliber access to the MMA world.

Definitely.

i agree, i cant stand ariel and his ways, so i dont listen, but sometimes i wish i could listen to more interviews, bc he dominates

i guess that shows what the fan base likes

Not subs, but Marquardt is great about not hitting an unconscious opponent.

iBSe1bSTGbd6s.gif

MarquardtMaia.gif

Back