[Submissions] Examples Of Good Sportsmanship [+GIFS]

No problem, man. :wink:

I respectfully disagree.

Of course Benson could have lied, but that was a risk Pettis took, and that's why I honestly think this is a very good example of sportsmanship.

Burkman could have caused serious damage to Fitch's veins if he kept choking him.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen these words typed on Sherdog.

Kudos to the wonderful Charlie Sheen and HIS keen sense of internet sportsmanship!

Palhares ASSUMED a fight was over once before (forgetting the names of his opponent right now, Massenzio?) and he made a fool of himself and could've lost the fight. He held it for an extra second and everyone is flipping out. Huge overreaction on sherdog right now

Happened twice to him I think 1 time he thought he tko'd someone, jumped up on the cage and Herb Dean was like "I haven't stopped the fight". Sucks for Pierce but he was waiting for the ref to stop it, can't really blame him.

No problem, man. :wink:

I respectfully disagree.

Of course Benson could have lied, but that was a risk Pettis took, and that's why I honestly think this is a very good example of sportsmanship.

Burkman could have caused serious damage to Fitch's veins if he kept choking him.

I could sway one way or the other on the Bendo/Pettis example, depending on how I feel at the time, I guess..
But the Burkman one really, really feels out of place.

Either way, kudos for focusing on something positive while Sherdog froths.

ETA: I guess the mutuality of the respect between Bendo and Pettis, as well as the willingness to trust in that shared respect, is a sign of good sportsmanship from both men..

Palhares ASSUMED a fight was over once before (forgetting the names of his opponent right now, Massenzio?) and he made a fool of himself and could've lost the fight. He held it for an extra second and everyone is flipping out. Huge overreaction on sherdog right now

totally this.

I know not a sub but still good sportsmanship...
knockouts_Nate_Marquardt_KOs_Demian_Maia_UFC_102.gif

I think Demian stopped it before the ref came in...

submissions_Demian_Maia_Triangle_Chokes_Chael_Sonnen.gif

No, it was Dan Miller when he assumed he'd won. Against Massenzio he finished it nearly as quickly as he did Pierce, but released pretty much immediately. I can't remember if Mike got hurt or not in the process though.

Except Mike tapped. Theres no need to assume. And the ref fucking jumped on him. He held it for like an extra 3 seconds.

I don't think you realize the damage he could have caused Pierce.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen these words typed on Sherdog.

Kudos to the wonderful Charlie Sheen and HIS keen sense of internet sportsmanship!

I could sway one way or the other on the Bendo/Pettis example, depending on how I feel at the time, I guess..
But the Burkman one really, really feels out of place.

Either way, kudos for focusing on something positive while Sherdog froths.

ETA: I guess the mutuality of the respect between Bendo and Pettis, as well as the willingness to trust in that shared respect, is a sign of good sportsmanship from both men..

tumblr_mgs6j9NZAZ1rwx5q7o2_r1_500.gif

I think Demian stopped it before the ref came in...

submissions_Demian_Maia_Triangle_Chokes_Chael_Sonnen.gif

Yes, Demian released his opponent a moment before the referee stopped.

To be honest, it seems Nate realized he was going to punch the back of Demian's head on that gif (which would be illegal).

No, it was Dan Miller when he assumed he'd won. Against Massenzio he finished it nearly as quickly as he did Pierce, but released pretty much immediately. I can't remember if Mike got hurt or not in the process though.

Ah right it was Miller, thanks.

Not a sub, but still belongs

ofp8y.gif

Except Mike tapped. Theres no need to assume. And the ref fucking jumped on him. He held it for like an extra 3 seconds.

Any damage that he could have caused would already be done by the initial crank. Like when Mir broke Nog's arm, the damage came from him cranking the arm not from him holding the submission.
And he was holding the lock for an extra second after the ref came in to stop him, which is when you should let go not when the other fighter taps. That sounds cruel but don't assume anything with these refs.

To be honest, it seems Nate realized he was going to punch the back of Demian's head on that gif (which would be illegal).

Demain did roll to his back and could have eaten another shot that probably would have hit legally. Either way, glad Nate stopped himself.

yet sherdog didn't get the same reaction for jones...
jonchokemac_medium_medium.gif

HAHA!

I remember that Sherdoggers thought Jones should have scooped Lyoto up, and set him down with love and tenderness.

Gus helping up Shogun after the round. Made me a fan of him.

Edit : not a submission but it made me a fan of Gus so in a way, I submitted to his sportsmanship? Yes I'll go with that.

I know he has a track record but people are definitely overreacting on this one. Not getting the bonus is one thing but he's being ripped apart and his submission was the ONLY one. That is a bit unfair. He should have got half and Pierce half or something.

I don't think you realize the damage he could have caused Pierce. I don't think half the shertards get that.

Palhares could have destroyed Pierce's leg if he wanted to. Just realize this. Say it out loud so you get it. We all know how freakishly strong palharesis..

Palhares could have put his full force into and broken that man. He didn't. And now look at all whining he held it too long. I've said this in two other threads and the threads die as soon as I say it.

Palhares has one simple solution. Next time he gets a heel hook. Apply maximum pressure as fast as possible and break the mother f*cker. Go Mir's route. Break it.

Back