[Submissions] Examples Of Good Sportsmanship [+GIFS]

Charlie Sheen

Invisible Belt
@red
Reaction score

Examples of good sportsmanship (+ bad refereeing in at least 1 of them).

Weidman vs. Lawlor

Weidman realizes Lawlor is out and looks at the referee trying to tell something is wrong.
When the referee finally stops the fight, Weidman instantly tries to revive Lawlor (that procedure makes Lawlor's blood flow faster in order to wake him up).

2.gif

Fitch vs. Burkman II

He'd choked him unconscious with a guillotine, but referee Steve Mazzagatti hadn't realized it yet. It was up to Burkman to let go and that’s what he did, releasing the choke before Mazzagatti's stoppage.

8_Josh_Burkman_vs._Jon_Fitch_medium.gif

Henderson vs. Pettis II

Benson verbally taps and Pettis instantly let go even before Herb Dean steps up.

2.gif

Last edited:
But but... Remember the Miller fight!!
(but do forget about the Tomas Dwal fight 2 years before that and also the ADCC)

Thank you, we need a thread like this to balance it out.

Given how much real bad blood was between them Shamrock/Frye had a nice end to a spirited fight.

And an example of sportsmanship/bad ref jumble award goes to Brown vs Yves Lavigne via Pete Sell.
14dqdft.gif

EDIT: I need to start reading the first words of sentences...

Last edited:
Palhares ASSUMED a fight was over once before (forgetting the names of his opponent right now, Massenzio?) and he made a fool of himself and could've lost the fight. He held it for an extra second and everyone is flipping out. Huge overreaction on sherdog right now

Pierce all time disrespects Brazil and our fighters.

Toquinho is wrong, but I cant deny, this time a smile appeared on my face.

If they canned Daley for taking a swipe at Kos after the bell, they have got to let Paul Harris go as it is at least equivalent if not worse, what he did.

Given how much real bad blood was between them Shamrock/Frye had a nice end to a spirited fight.

And an example of sportsmanship/bad ref jumble award goes to Brown vs Yves Lavigne via Pete Sell.
14dqdft.gif

Haha, no problem! :p

Dana was weak on the separation and Ronda refused to poke Tate in the eye.

sd.gif

yet sherdog didn't get the same reaction for jones...
jonchokemac_medium_medium.gif

Only the Weidman one feels like a good example.

Pettis letting go before the ref was aware that Bendo had verbally submitted could have forced him to continue fighting after technically winning if Bendo chose to lie. It's not like anyone other than Pettis seemed to be aware that Bendo was done. A nice thing to do, sure, but not really a good idea.

As for Burkman. Sure, he let go, but Fitch was unconscious, not exactly a threat anymore. I don't think that's good sportsmanship, so much as not wanting to accidentally murder your opponent.

The guys in the gif got my respect when they did that.

14dqdft.gif

This went from one sided fight to the closest thing to murder in the UFC

Not the best topic to find Palhares gifs.

Back