Submission Only Tournaments

I've seen several of these locally (NC/VA), but I've missed out on competing because of school and work. Hope I'll be able to enter sometime soon. Running gi and no gi, is that right?

I've seen several of these locally (NC/VA), but I've missed out on competing because of school and work. Hope I'll be able to enter sometime soon. Running gi and no gi, is that right?

Hey Mason! Yep, all of the Submission Only tournaments that US Grappling has run have been both gi and no-gi.

Mine, too! It was vs Matt Ward. Tough SOB!

LOL... Matt Ward is the friend I'm referring to. He is a tough guy. I will be grappling him again in an hour or so. What was your name, I will tell him you said hi.

LOL... Matt Ward is the friend I'm referring to. He is a tough guy. I will be grappling him again in an hour or so. What was your name, I will tell him you said hi.

Andrew Smith. :)

Me no like math. Me like grapple. But seriously, since you put it that way its sounds good. I'll check one out. I'll definately put more of an emphasis on cardio for sure in my training

Train submissions! Don't train for a long match, train for one where you sub your opponent real quick! Our record is held by Mike Galitello. It was a 5 second flying armbar. I think Mike might also have second place on that list with a 9 second guillotine a couple of weeks ago.

Even if you're hesitant to jump into a sub only tournament right away, come to one and watch. The vibe when you walk into the building is different. I swear it smells different than a points tournament. No one is yelling for points (unless they're goofing off, which does happen), and the coaches are a lot more relaxed if you do get into a bad position. I would rather be at a submission only event than any other kind (except maybe the kids' events, since we get them an AstroJump).

Sub only tournaments are great! I've done it twice and I love it. And believe me, you learn a lot about your game and where you need to go.

I've actually had two matches which went over an hour long (in two different tournaments). After a certain point it just becomes a mental battle.

we had an in house one on the weekend which I won :icon_chee but some of the matches went for a good 10-15 minutes

one thing I learned was I'm terrible at breaking guard

we had an in house one on the weekend which I won :icon_chee but some of the matches went for a good 10-15 minutes

one thing I learned was I'm terrible at breaking guard

10-15..? i fought for fkn 25min... i hate sub only tournaments actually, i always end up having the longest matches

Any chance of US Grappling doing New England or even New York metro area? Or anyone know of any sub only tournaments planned for New England?

We've done a little preliminary research on New England, actually. We're looking at our 2011 schedule now, so there's a chance we'll head up that way next year. No guarantees yet, though. It depends on how things shake out, but I'd really like to get up there.

Haven't heard of any submission only tournaments around where I live (Victoria, Australia) which is a shame cause it sounds like a blast. However I'd be bloody worried about having an all out war in the first match up and being totally spent for any future bouts

Haven't heard of any submission only tournaments around where I live (Victoria, Australia) which is a shame cause it sounds like a blast. However I'd be bloody worried about having an all out war in the first match up and being totally spent for any future bouts

there are several each year, dominance holds one sub only MG comp and there are others around as well

there are several each year, dominance holds one sub only MG comp and there are others around as well

oh really? I'll have to suss it out.
I haven't really been involved in the competing side of things as of yet so you'll have to excuse my ignorance on the topic!!

I did one last week in Webster NY (near Rochester). It was by far the most fun I had at a BJJ tourney. The turnout wasn't so big. There were about 8 people for each of my 4 divisions (Intermediate gi and no gi including absolutes).
The way you fight at these is very different from a regular tournament. It's a lot closer to class rolling. You can easily, if you should choose to do so, stall out the spazzes and then pick them apart once they gas. I don't think I was particularly stalling in any match but even then I had 16, 21 and 24 minute fights. Some people consistently went over 30min mark. The downside is that it's taking me forever to recover though. The day after the tourney the whole body was just hurting. Now the pain is gone but I need more rest to recover the gas tank and bring the energy level up. If any of you have a chance to do one of these I highly recommend doing something like this at least once.

I so want to do one of these. I have done a few sub or draw tourneys and like them alot(it is a league thing)

I have been really intrigued about this concept too. Hopefully US Grappling can bring one down to TN.

Here in Texas my school adopted a tournament format that is spreading.
It's a round robin tournament. Each match has a time limit of 4-7min depending on skill level. The only way to win a match is submission. This gets you 3 points for the match. Going to a draw gets both people 1 point, and losing of course gets you zero. At the end of the day the competitor with the highest point total is the winner.

It really encourages a more open grappling style that is constantly attacking for submissions because you can't lose points for giving up position after a missed sub.

It also ends up being extremely demanding on your conditioning as you may have 10 matches or so throughout the day.

Back