Submission Only Tournaments

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by KILL KILL, Jul 5, 2010.

1. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

They seem to be popping up a lot more lately. How many of you have done these tournaments? How smoothly do they run? How many matches did you get? Just give me a little info about your general experience with them. I've heard of fights at these tournaments lasting up to an hour in time. Sadly most of my tournament wins are won by points so i think a submission only tournament would be a good learning experience for me and a total ass kicker

2. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

Check out Submission Only Series | US Grappling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Submission Grappling Tournaments | US Grappling.

US Grappling is really spearheading the Submission Only movement. We believe 100% in the concept, and we can make it an efficient tournament for the competitors.

I've been able to compete in two of our tournaments so far. The matches were more relaxed by far than any points matches I've ever done. Competition is stressful enough without having to worry about time limits, ref's discretion, etc.

We should be running more than a dozen of these in 2011.

3. Oak

Oak 栄誉

I am really looking forward to going to one of these eventually.

4. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

We'll be in Rochester next (not this coming) Saturday:

Submission Only XI | US Grappling

5. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I think the concept of submission only is waaaaay better than a time limit with a point system type of tournament. I always feel like I'm fighting the clock in tournaments. My only gripe would be on the amount of time a tiurnament like this would take. If fights can last an hour in lenth, how can the tournament progress in a timely manner?

6. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

This is a great question. For us, the key lies in gathering data. Fortunately, clinzy (Chrissy) is passionate about and very good at this, and we employ people who carefully copy down match lengths, etc.

It's really a matter of simple statistics. If one match takes an hour, 5 will last 2 minutes. Divide all that by six and you get less than 10 minutes a match, on average.

I can preach about this stuff all day, but nothing describes the concept and our execution of it better than actually coming and checking one out. I can't recommend it highly enough.

7. BJJ Coffee Drinker

BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

I have never heard of sub only tournaments. so there is no time limit for all matches even white belt matches?

8. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Me no like math. Me like grapple. But seriously, since you put it that way its sounds good. I'll check one out. I'll definately put more of an emphasis on cardio for sure in my training

9. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

would love to do this. Canada prz ty

10. StranGold**

StranGold** Banned Banned

sub only is awesome. keep up the good work.

11. raines513

raines513 Blue Belt

I'm doing one aug. 7th in Columbus Ohio I cant wait it will be my first sub only tournament.

12. rarmonio8920

rarmonio8920 Purple Belt

I think it's an awesome idea, but I think as you go up the belt levels where guys are more technical and cardio may be better, the likelihood of a submission gets lower. Even at ADCC, they go into (not 100% sure of rules) a couple overtimes, after 20 minute rounds, without neither competitor even scoring a POINT, nonetheless a submission.

I think it's a great idea, but the potential of 10 matches each lasting an hour sounds like a terrible, but likely possibility.

13. boisefireman

boisefireman Blue Belt

The Northwest Submission Challenge is changing the format for their October 2 tournament to "submission only". I can't wait. It will be awesome. I hate the score a point and stall game plan. Come down Boise Idaho in October and see what it's all about. They always give out awesome prizes. I don't know if Ari will be there so don't ask.

14. JoshGrrrr

JoshGrrrr Blue Belt

A buddy of mine just competed in a US Grappling competition. He really liked it. It can be a lot of work though. He had 5 matches total. The first was 47 minutes long, the next was 35 minutes, then he had 3 more after that.

I've never done sub only, but it's always appealed to me. Even when I win, if I win on points I'm not happy about winning. My goal is always to submit. If I fail, he stopped me from achieving my goal. He won in my book. Unless it's 30 seconds left and I'm down by a point or two, I don't pay attention to points.

15. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

Nice. Which US Grappling tournament did your friend do?
    I actually also had a 47 minute match.

16. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

You guys must have insane cardio. What kind of training do you do for your cardio?

17. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

Missed one I was going to do in May. Doing one at the end of July. Can't wait.

That one in Columbus looks within reasonable distance also.

18. sanchezero

sanchezero Green Belt

i've done about 1/2doz of us grappling's sub-only tournaments. they've all run very smoothly even when the occasional marathon pops up. by far my favorite format.

i regards to the above concept, 1st - we're not cobrinha v mendes :D.

second - it actually seems like this is less of a problem when you don't have to worry about advantages or stalling issues. not that there isn't any stalling - if you end up 15mins into a match, there will be times when you both just lay there and regroup for a minute or so (it's a great time to get to know your opponent :icon_chee) - but most people seem to really let it all hang out. the only guys you ever see 'stalling' are the super new whitebelts who are terrified of opening their guard, but eventually their legs get tired.

finally, you don't have to worry about any issues with a ref making a bad call.

i can't recommend us grappling's sub only events enough.

19. JoshGrrrr

JoshGrrrr Blue Belt

It was in Savannah GA a week or so ago.

20. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

Mine, too! It was vs Matt Ward. Tough SOB!