Submission grappling by Royler Gracie and Wrestling for Fighting by Randy Couture

They're good for basics, but you should be learning those from your instructor. They're nice to flip thru when you are on the pearly throne, and to keep BJJ in your mind when you aren't in the academy.

In terms of how they fare against other books - the techniques aren't super advanced, basic explanations without minutiae, production quality is still pretty good even though they are a little older.

Wrestling for Fighting is really good. It shows a lot of basic, easy to apply technique. It's taken my wrestling from non-existent to shitty.

i have the Randy book, it was really good imo. it did a good job of modifying wrestling techniques to mma, alot of the over/under and control on the ground is stuff i use nearly every class.

Haven't read the Randy book yet but it sounds like I should

Royler's book is decent, it has some stuff beginners should know on one hand but on the other hand it contains some few moves that I would argue as low percentage (Front naked choke from Mount...wtf?) that it doesn't warn you about (I had a friend who was obsessed with trying to get that move to work after reading about it)

They're good for basics, but you should be learning those from your instructor. They're nice to flip thru when you are on the pearly throne, and to keep BJJ in your mind when you aren't in the academy.

+1 on flipping through them when on the pearly throne.

Saulo Ribeiro's "Jiu-Jitsu University" is an all around awesome book for bjj

Randy's book is great. For those of us that have been out of formal wrestling for a few years (or a decade :icon_neut) it is a great resource to remind you of some of the small points you may have forgotten.

I have always learned really well from books and video. During the early years of mma a lot of what we did was watch fights, read books and put two and 5 together, then test it until it worked. It is easier when someone shows you how to do it but I find I have a much better understanding of the techniques when I work it out myself.

I actually own both.

Royler's book is very basic. It's an okay book, but there are better books out there. Saulo's University of Jiu Jitsu book is a better book for BJJ. I would recommend getting that one.

Wrestling for fighting is a good book too. Keep in mind that Randy is a greco-guy. There's a lot of clinching and stand-up in the book. I would also recommend getting this book.

Basically any book published by Victory Belt (Victory Belt for MMA Fighters Instructional DVDS Books and Manuals) is legit.

Back