sub your instructor?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by zaner, Aug 4, 2005.

1. zaner

zaner Banned Banned

Been done before I know but anyway...Ever get lucky or catch out somehow and submitt your instructor? I've trained for over five years and I've submitted a few instructors of other styles. I've only tapped my instructor once w/ a reverse heelhook because I don't think he had really gone over it with me and I just pulled it out my ass one day.

2. FStep

FStep Brown Belt

if you are able to tap your instructor on regular basis you should go find a different school ... how can you learn from someone who is worse then you?

with that said to answer your question i think the only time anyone taps out the instructors at my school is when they let them

3. Pale1

Pale1 Blue Belt

yes I let my students tap me to show them how to transcend to subs, just as my BJJ teacher allows me to get certain things on him, I say maybe once I actually caught him, maybe.

4. Choke_Out_Champ

Choke_Out_Champ Blue Belt

I pray for the day that I can even hang for 2 seconds with my instructor let alone sub him

5. hamoom

hamoom Purple Belt

ive subbed my instructor twice in almost two years. once a year isnt really that much

6. TJS

TJS Brown Belt

That's not really fair...say I am a young 220 pound athletic guy who has wrestled for years and has maybe a blue in BJJ...the instructor is a middle aged 145 pound guy and is a brown belt...even if im able to tap him out with certain moves that dosent mean that I cant learn from him.

7. Corey123

Corey123 Guest

I have a few instructers and I have subbed a few of the brown belts. But my main instructer will just toy with me...

8. CoutureFan16

CoutureFan16 Purple Belt

The closest I have ever gotten to subbing my instructor was one time I locked an armbar in, we got in a scramble and I kinda had his back and I had one hook in so I threw my leg over his head for the armbar. He didn't even really have to work to defend it. He just kept pushing off my leg that was going across his face, so there was no pressure on his arm. After attempting to hold my leg across his head a few times and being unsuccesful I just went for something else. I was just happy that I could even get to that point haha, that was by far the closest I have ever gotten to putting him in any kind of danger of submitting.

9. Throatyogurt

Throatyogurt Guest

no, if you beat your instructor , find another school

10. El Gato

El Gato Green Belt

Most instuctors let you work....I'm sure if you said give me 100% from the get go it would be a differant story ....

11. SwiftMcvay

SwiftMcvay Brown Belt

I haven't subbed my instructor, and I haven't seen anybody else come even close to subbing him.

12. NEwrestler

NEwrestler Red Belt

i get toyed with

13. infamous mattyd

infamous mattyd Brown Belt

I sub Renzo left and right :)

14. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

Caught my BJJ instructor in a submission once. Was happy because he once said "I hate Chinese people," and I'm Chinese myself, so when I slapped that triangle on him, it felt GREAT, believe me. lol.

15. guardpasser

guardpasser Tudo Bem Bjj

i have never subed a black belt, only one brown belt.
    i have subed some instructors that are blues and purples at schools that i have traveled to, but 95% of the time when i catch an instructor at a different school in a sub, i let go, i always feel like they will think i am being a bully and tryingg to show them up in front of thier students.

16. Dedicado

Dedicado Machetero

I subbed one of my coaches on 2 seperate occasions, he still is a great teacher and he has alot to offer still.

17. ClubberLange

ClubberLange Green Belt

Just because you sub someone doesn't make them better then you.
    I leave myself open for subs all the time so I can work on escaping them.
    If I can't I tap. I hope all these whiteys aren't running around saying how they can tap me out.
    Actually, I dont really care aye

18. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

I agree man! :)

19. zaner

zaner Banned Banned

I totally disagree. First off, not everyone is invincible like apparently some inst. are. My instructor is, honestly, a decent grappler compared to BJJ black belts (and even browns probably) and I am insignificant in that crowd. But I still have alot of room to grow even if he isn't a grappling God. We go together to seminars like F Shamrock and some Gracies when we can but honestly we are street defense guys and I have never even been in trouble against a newb or untrained partner except this guy that was six-five and 260 solid muscle. A guy I would run from in the street anyway cause I'm confident but not stupid.

Se3cond, I live in rural Arkansas and as far as grappling goes this is the best I can get. My instructor is a humble man and admitts that if a guy wants to compete in grappling he should probably just frikkin move. He claims no BJJ lineage, only Japanese JJ which is morethrows and breaks and knee on chest/spine kind of deal because of multiple opponents. One on one BJJ is without a doubt the better variation in most cases. We know that. We don't really care.

20. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

That's a bad attitude.

Obviously you want to seek out the highest level training partners for yourself. But just because you can beat someone grappling doesn't mean you can't learn from them.

To take an extreme example, I don't think many ADCC champions train with people that can submit them on a regular basis. Yet they are still able to train and learn and evolve.

I like rolling with skilled partners, but I can also learn from less skilled partners as well.