Style Development and Stance Improvement

Thesaucydog

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been doing boxing and mixed martial arts for about two years now, and I'm starting to get to the point in terms of conditioning and technical proficiency that I think I could start competing soon (I will surely be competing for my university's boxing team come autumn).
I'm only slightly short for my weight class (5"11 at 180 lbs) but I have pretty good reach and a lot of power in my fists. As I've gotten better and better with learning basic techniques and styles I've found that I do really well as a slugging counter-puncher. Something I've been curious about is adopting a wider, more powerful stance to build on my strengths, but I would like to do so without sacrificing my ability to stay agile and avoid punches. So I guess I have two questions to ask. To anybody here who has boxed for a while or has experience coaching boxers: Do you think its possible to get light on your feet from a wide stance (doing sumo stance footdrills with jump-rope, etc) so one can powerpunch and still dance (rhyme is purely coincidental)? Additionally, does anyone have any advice on refining this style of boxing or know anyone with a similar modus operandi?

Wider and more powerful? Not really.

Wide-stanced mobile counter puncher? Sounds like Machida or McGregor.

Back