Stupid question about Saturday night...

ColdFire_1701

Alphabet Belt
@purple
Reaction score
As a result of Saturday's fight, wouldn't Calzaghe and Hopkins both lose their Ring titles? Calzaghe moved up to fight Hopkins, which would vacate The Ring's 168 title. So now he has The Ring's 175 belt, but since he is probably going back to 168, the 175 Ring title would also be vacant. Can someone explain this situation to me?

I think if Calzaghe continues fighting @ 168 after defeating the ring's 175lb champ then he would retain that 168lb title.

thats not how they work it. If a champ jumps up to challenge and goes back down in a certain amount of time, he keeps the belt. The Ring isn't an org. like WBC/WBA/IBF so they dont strip people like that. Some people who were intially ring champs and didnt really defend in that weight class have politely stepped down. I think it was Paulie Ayala?

thats not how they work it. If a champ jumps up to challenge and goes back down in a certain amount of time, he keeps the belt. The Ring isn't an org. like WBC/WBA/IBF so they dont strip people like that. Some people who were intially ring champs and didnt really defend in that weight class have politely stepped down. I think it was Paulie Ayala?

QFT and this is why MMA would do better if they ditched the orgs and just promoted. But yeah I agree.

So only the Ring's 175 belt is vacant then?

Calzaghe holds both titles. He didn't lose his SMW belt, he gained the LHW belt.

I believe he has to defend the 168 belt within a year or be stripped or he can vacate. Same with the 175 belt.

I say ignore who has belts. It really doesn't matter.

I say ignore who has belts. It really doesn't matter.

With the Ring title it kinda does matter, it shows the lineal champions and is a great good for fans to have a better idea of who the "real" champion of the world is.

I don't believe Calzaghe would have lost his 168 Ring title even had he lost, Hatton kept his JWW Ring title even with the loss to Mayweather.

Is this Ring title business American?

Never heard of it (im from the UK)

Is this Ring title business American?

Never heard of it (im from the UK)

It's Ring Magazine's title, its a US publication but certain stores sell it over here...you have to search places tho.

Back