stupid question about punch damage

Granrey

White Belt
Reaction score
Punch Damage. Sorry for the question but I'm really curious about it.

I guess we all agree that the weight of the person doing the punch influence the damage done with the punch. However, I wonder if the weight if the victim influences too.

I

I am not sure, I think C would take more damage cause of him being the smaller of the 2.

There is another thread in here talking bout punchers taking damage or the risk if being KO and the risk of taking damage though the whole fight. You should check it out.

Are thinking that it is better to be knockout with one punch like fighter C would be, then to be knockout by 5 like fight B would be?

I'd think it's more likely that the bigger guy can take the harder punch better, which is why it causes less actual damage. The force pressure kinetic energy etc might be greater with the bigger fighters, though.

punches to the head are mitigated by the neck muscles ONLY (at least, in terms of things you can really train). the bigger fighter will have the bigger neck muscles.

punches to the head are mitigated by the neck muscles ONLY (at least, in terms of things you can really train). the bigger fighter will have the bigger neck muscles.

ok, I think that's the answer.

I mean, the two big guys (A and B) generate an "impact" bigger than A and C do but fighter B can handle more damage than C due to his neck size.

A KO is the result of the head snapping back or to the side sharply in such a way that the brain is rattled.

The larger fighters head will be harder to move because of the increased size, weight, and most importantly the strength of the supporting neck muscles. Thus, he is less likely to be KO'd.

On the other hand the larger fighter may be more susceptible to tissue and skeletal trauma than a smaller fighter because the head does not roll as easily with the impact. Consider for example Crocop vs Bob Sapp. Crocop hit him with a flush, powerful shot, but Bob Sapps head barely moved because he's so damn big; thus, no KO. His orbital was shattered though and he dropped to the canvas (this paragraph is purely my own speculation).

Back