Law Stupid liberals with their plastic bans

Where does the plastic come from? My understanding is that very little of the plastic in the Pacific comes from the US, Canada, or Australia, and almost all of it comes from China and other developing Asian economies, particularly Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Thailand. That's not to say westernized countries should not take steps to reduce the introduction of garbage to the ocean. We should. But we should acknowledge that it isn't really Western corporations creating this problem as you seem to be suggesting.
what makes you think it's all from Asia?

The US was flooding poorer nations with garbage until they decided to refuse it. The Pacific patch is also one of several in the world.
csm_1_1_TOC_Gyres_0156781be8.jpg

You first, I'll start right after you. I'll even use the same bag to further conserve.

And yet you're the one who cannot even grasp my idiotic humor. Cool observation.
It was your idea not mine. So you should lead by example. Do you think you are one of the special 20% that should be allowed to live ?

It was your idea not mine. So you should lead by example. Do you think you are one of the special 20% that should be allowed to live ?

I already told you I would do it, you just had to go first....

I admit I’m one of these guys that walks into whole foods with a reusable bag......the paper straws are killing me though, these need to be engineered more effectively....like 4 or 5 extra layers of paper

I admit I’m one of these guys that walks into whole foods with a reusable bag......the paper straws are killing me though, these need to be engineered more effectively....like 4 or 5 extra layers of paper
I can't think of many drinks that require a straw to drink.

The root issue isn't single use plastics. It's overpopulation. It is the root cause of most of the major problems in the world today. And there is no plan to do anything about it.

I can't think of many drinks that require a straw to drink.

The root issue isn't single use plastics. It's overpopulation. It is the root cause of most of the major problems in the world today. And there is no plan to do anything about it.

Tell me about it man you’re preaching to the quire.....You ever driven in Miami?

Briefly perusing the article it focuses on problems with plastic diaper disposal being a marine issue in India, Indonesia, and Africa, whereas it mentions plastic diaper disposal in the US and Europe as being a landfill space issue.

Now I'm not trying to blameshift here. The oceans affect all of us, so it's our problem too. But if we don't correctly identify the problem then we'll make a bunch of stupid laws that don't really address it, like banning plastic straws. Maybe the US and Belgium should partner up and spend a decade building modern landfills across southern and eastern Asia and in Africa. In my limited time in Africa one of the most striking impressions was how many piles of garbage I saw and how many were on fire.
Excellent points. Banning straws though has good intentions doesn't do anything. Straws, and especially western straws are less than a decimal point of a percent. There's no impact
Instead focus of forcing companies that export to the west, making them follow our environmental standards. Plus give them and built them landfills

I don't know off the top of my head. I just remember reading during the whole "straw ban" that commercial fishing was the single largest contributor to ocean plastic.
Cheaper lighter and better.
Nets are everywhere, but they don't choke stuff out like wrappers do, until the nets break up.
I see nets all over the place after a storm.

I assumed by now that the MIC would be all over the floating island of garbage.

Surely, we have have a few dozen destroyers out in the pacific skimming the surface collecting garbage.

Underneath them, a few dozen more nuke powered subs can grab the garbage under the surface.

- Lots of money to the MIC
- Uncontroversial project that the Left and Right can get behind.
- US shows dominance over the seas.
- US cleans up the oceans for everyone

Win/Win

Back