Law Stupid liberals with their plastic bans

China is responsible for twice as many carbon emissions as the USA.
CO2 is a non-issue anyway.
It's a very weak greenhouse gas and is more likely to be beneficial than lead to disaster.
All that plastic is kind of annoying but I'll let Gorge Carlin sum up my thoughts on the matter.

I am not a supporter of carbon taxes, but if a politician stood up and said we need a plastic tax, that forces the proper recycling of plastic, I would support that.

We have garbage island floating in the ocean, dead whales washing up with 40 lbs of plastic inside of them.

Are you worried about the deficit we are leaving to the future?

What is the cost of cleaning trillions of pieces of plastic in the ocean?

What is the cost of dealing with this plastic in the future?

See, in the corporate world, this is known as externalizing your costs. Corporations make profit on using cheap plastic in their products, and then the public is forced to deal with the clean up.

I call that being a welfare rat, and this is why many call corporations the real welfare queens.

Discuss.......

John Anthony West would cite this as more evidence that we don’t live in “modern” times. The idea that this is the height of human civilization is becoming laughable.

I am not a supporter of carbon taxes, but if a politician stood up and said we need a plastic tax, that forces the proper recycling of plastic, I would support that.

We have garbage island floating in the ocean, dead whales washing up with 40 lbs of plastic inside of them.

Are you worried about the deficit we are leaving to the future?

What is the cost of cleaning trillions of pieces of plastic in the ocean?

What is the cost of dealing with this plastic in the future?

See, in the corporate world, this is known as externalizing your costs. Corporations make profit on using cheap plastic in their products, and then the public is forced to deal with the clean up.

I call that being a welfare rat, and this is why many call corporations the real welfare queens.

Discuss.......

i like how anything you buy from walmart is contained in multiple layers of security plastic because everyone is apparently stealing $2 items

Solid post TS. We’ve done enough damage to this planet.

Briefly perusing the article it focuses on problems with plastic diaper disposal being a marine issue in India, Indonesia, and Africa, whereas it mentions plastic diaper disposal in the US and Europe as being a landfill space issue.

Now I'm not trying to blameshift here. The oceans affect all of us, so it's our problem too. But if we don't correctly identify the problem then we'll make a bunch of stupid laws that don't really address it, like banning plastic straws. Maybe the US and Belgium should partner up and spend a decade building modern landfills across southern and eastern Asia and in Africa. In my limited time in Africa one of the most striking impressions was how many piles of garbage I saw and how many were on fire.

A garbage fire is the perfect metaphor for Africa.

I support plastic bags around the heads of 80% of the world population. Why? Because I actually care about our environment, and have real solutions.

You care about the Earth, but not the people living on it? Typical leftist approach to environmentalism. Kill everyone to save the world.

As usual people try to discuss the serious issues and @BarryDillon is just here to muck around with silly gifs.

You care about the Earth, but not the people living on it? Typical leftist approach to environmentalism. Kill everyone to save the world.

A lot of leftists are actually nihilists. The ideologies are almost identical.

So we should destroy our environment to say fuck you to the Asian countries? Also Western corporations have a much larger impact than the people living in the countries they are based in. For better and worse we're in globalization.
<JagsKiddingMe>

I think Inga was pointing out that it's not the US that are "destroying the environment" in the first place.

Plastic bag bans are just feel-good "solutions" that don't do much. There would be to be legislation forcing manufacturers to wrap their products using biodegradable materials. It's really not that complicated. But they won't do it until they're forced by the government to do it, as such packaging is more expensive for them to buy.

Hawaii outlawed plastic bags and since I don't need to pick up dog shit I don't miss 'em. Easy enough to keep some cloth bags in the car and they have paper bags at the store. Plastic straws are next. People adapt.
Had a rare visit to a fast food joint a couple of weeks ago and noticed they have paper straws now instead of plastic.

We could reduce plastic use where necessary. This of course means you guys will have to start fucking those landwhale feminists so they stop buying dildos

So is that plastic coming from China and Malaysia, the same plastic we are sending to them?

Remember China massively slashed imports from the west.

For a long time they claimed to be recycling it but a lot of it just wound up being dumped.

I think we need to make biodegradeable plastics cheaper. Plastics are too useful for most people to flat out get rid of. But, if all consumer end single use plastics should be biodegradable we would make a huge dent in the problem.

Had a rare visit to a fast food joint a couple of weeks ago and noticed they have paper straws now instead of plastic.

Were the cups plastic or plastic lined?

I actually watched that video recently. Australians should be ashamed of themselves.

Remember China massively slashed imports from the west.

For a long time they claimed to be recycling it but a lot of it just wound up being dumped.

I think we need to make biodegradeable plastics cheaper. Plastics are too useful for most people to flat out get rid of. But, if all consumer end single use plastics should be biodegradable we would make a huge dent in the problem.

For sure. And if governments added legislation forcing manufacturers to use biodegradable materials, suddenly a huge market for such packaging would open up and scalability means it would become much more affordable to produce than now. Right now companies don't want to invest extra money and lose margins packaging their products in an environmentally-friendly manner because their competitors will wrap their products using cheaper conventional methods.

For sure. And if governments added legislation forcing manufacturers to use biodegradable materials, suddenly a huge market for such packaging would open up and scalability means it would become much more affordable to produce than now. Right now companies don't want to invest extra money and lose margins packaging their products in an environmentally-friendly manner because their competitors will wrap their products using cheaper conventional methods.

This is true, but I wonder what is wrong with aluminum for bottles, or cardboard food trays, paper straws, ect.

We basically have viable alternative materials for 90% of disposable plastic use.

It is my understanding the plastic is used to increase the profit on a bottle of water by a fraction of a penny.

A&W right? It's fucking gross. Drink takes like dirty cardboard and if you let the dribk sit too long the straw dissolves.

A&W fucking sucks now. Outrageous prices, no ice in their drinks and now gross cardboard straws.

A&W right? It's fucking gross. Drink takes like dirty cardboard and if you let the dribk sit too long the straw dissolves.

A&W fucking sucks now. Outrageous prices, no ice in their drinks and now gross cardboard straws.
I don't drink soda, unless there's whiskey in it, so I'm not really effected by it.

But yeah it was A&W.

Back