Stupid HS wrestling question

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SLOWandSTEADY, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SLOWandSTEADY

SLOWandSTEADY White Belt

so i wrestled for like a week last year before being injured and being foreced to sit out the rest of the season, so im going into next years wrestling season with a week of experience, BUT a solid year and a half of No Gi BJJ ( dont want to call it No Gi grappling cause havent done much from standing) .. My question is ive heard people say the rule is you cant choke someone with your forearm directly across their neck, but if you have one of there arms in the mix its legal, 2 of my best moves are anaconda choke and darce choke... you can see where im going with this lol

tell me if im an idiot but technically, are they legal?

2. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

No. You can use the anaconda with an hand to hand grip to roll them over, but not to choke. There are no submissions in wrestling.

3. SLOWandSTEADY

SLOWandSTEADY White Belt

i know you cant submit,but ive seen guys go unconcious from that pin from side control, so im just saying.. so if i actualy put pressure and squeezed id be DQd?

4. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

I have seen plenty of chokes not get called just watch Nick Simmons use the front headlock.

Don't make it obvious.

Oh and if you end up choking 3 or 4 guys in row out then it is obvious and refs will start looking at you and may even penalize you for legal stuff.

But like Tito said if you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

Remember this is the same sport where some coaches teach checking for oil and the 5 on 2 tilt.

5. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

okay, what?

6. SLOWandSTEADY

SLOWandSTEADY White Belt

okay but if technically it isnt ilegal.. lol if i have that other arm in there and i make it look like im just tryna hold..

7. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

Tell me what you think it is and then I will let you know if your right

8. SLOWandSTEADY

SLOWandSTEADY White Belt

9. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

Choking is illegal period.

But how well can you hide it?

Traditionally refs just look for forearms across the wind pipe.

10. DGHighlyEvolved

DGHighlyEvolved White Belt

I thought either the d'arce or anaconda was called the gator roll in HS wrestling. At least I always called it a gator roll when i did it in high school.

11. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

It looks similar but not exactyly the same.

12. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

Grab the near arm. Rol your knuckles on his balls so his ass goes up in the air. Hook his far thigh and pull back to expose the shoulders.

If you want to get real nasty just straight grab his balls till his ass popps up then hook the thigh.

Now CHecking for oil...

13. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

Having a tight head and arm is very important. There are TONS of things you can do from there. Gator roll is near the bottom of the list of useful techniques from that position (except in freestyle).

Learn to collapse the elbow by using a gable grip and pulling your elbows together and pulling their arm across their own neck.

This does two things, it compromises their base and frees your arm to do:

Near/far side cradles, inside far knee tips, far ankle, shucks, etc....

14. dirtroller

dirtroller Green Belt

I see you spending a lot of time on your back, or possibly in the air.

15. MasonTJJ

MasonTJJ Yellow Belt

Chokes by any high school rules I've seen (I live in the Southeast) are illegal. Some front headlocks (aka standing guillotine) you can get away with to help the takedown, so long as the actual choking is not overt.

I would focus on developing a strong, fast shot as quickly as possible. Chances are, if you can get top position, with your no-gi BJJ background you'll have a good chance at winning. Just remember: if you have them in guard, you just lost.

16. jax7

jax7 Orange Belt

Ive watched my son hes 14 (ive shown bjj since he was 4) sometimes use arm in head locks to choke in youth tournaments to get the win. His opponents usually give up the pin to keep from going out, although he did put a kid to sleep once. One guy screamed "I tap" and cried from it, the ref wouldnt stop the match until his coach told him the kid was done. Remember there is no tapping in wrestling, and it has plenty of pain moves to get you to go to your back.

17. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

The grip is different, and in wrestling you want to come out on top of the guy rather than laying on your side. If you do like you do in BJJ, it really won't be beneficial in wrestling because it won't score points, and might put you at risk.

18. Lapu-Lapu

Lapu-Lapu Brown Belt

I don't see the point of anaconda in a wrestling match. Just go with a gator roll or cement mixer.

19. Brad Boulton

Brad Boulton Amateur Fighter

Even if its a legal headlock and it maybe perhaps looks like a choke you'll get nailed for "potentially dangerous"

20. supersuk

supersuk White Belt

Why dont you quit being a douchebag and wrestle in the spirit of wrestling rules. You'll beat a few random people tactics but you're not getting better from it.

You can use the locks to roll the guy or establish control. You'll probably get away with it at most local meets because the refs there just arent very qualified.