Stupid Fencing Question...

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So I was watching some Olympic fencing the other day. Now obviously if you handed these guys some rapiers they'd shred any idiot that challenged them to a sword fight. Buttt....

In close 70% of the fencing exchanges, there was a double stab. That is both opponents landed milliseconds apart. Then they look at the judges who decide who landed a millisecond sooner. Whatever the case though, in a real sword fight that would have equated to both guys being stabbed. Soooo, in real sword fights, were people double stabbing each other like all the time?

I'd say yes they were, but fencing rules makes it okay to get hit while irl it wouldn't be... Thus both competitors would be more cautious and not just care about the first hit

The modern weapons in fencing are so incredibly light that they move with a speed not possible with even an actual rapier, so back during the days of real weapons, double-touches (serious ones) were no where near as common.

Modern fencing has very little in common with actual sword fighting.

(my ex was a fencer for years, she was very good)

Here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Épée

No expert but I think in a real sword fight people would be more defensive?

There's a reason they show swimming all day long the first week. None of the other sports make any sense.

10m Air Rifle, for a medal? C'mon man....

There's a reason they show swimming all day long the first week. None of the other sports make any sense.

10m Air Rifle, for a medal? C'mon man....
I'm looking forward to 'battle axe' in the 2020 summer games.

In all fairness, I would watch other forms of sword play. I've been enjoying full contact, full armor HEMA lately.

I would think that not getting stabbed would be a pretty high priority if you were in a real sword fight. Combat sports, while closer than anything else, do not represent the reality of the actual combative acts they resemble.

Last edited:
Also, weren't real sword fights short? Like over in 10 or 15 seconds if even that?

If you want to get a look at some real sword play check out this documentary.

Double stabs should eliminate them both and they should be kicked out and shamed

The modern weapons in fencing are so incredibly light that they move with a speed not possible with even an actual rapier, so back during the days of real weapons, double-touches (serious ones) were no where near as common.

Modern fencing has very little in common with actual sword fighting.

(my ex was a fencer for years, she was very good)

Here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Épée

Got to love the natural evolution of sports, where it moves away from the original spirit and intention of its founding discipline. Just like MMA with fighting.

Got to love the natural evolution of sports, where it moves away from the original spirit and intention of its founding discipline. Just like MMA with fighting.

Right. For better or worse, for greater sport performance it becomes more and more specialized. Modern fencing has far less in common with classic fencing (both sport) than it used to. I mean, in two of the weapons you have limited target areas. Only in epee can you attack the entire body. Both have drifted more than a wee bit from the good ole' days of being able to tell who won by the guy who walked away. I supposed the judges found a way to guarantee themselves job security.

:)

But then there is the argument that many sports, which were originally practiced as preparation for combat, have drifted far from their original purpose.

But in terms of hand-eye coordination, you have to be a seriously well-connected motherfucker to do well at fencing. When the entire match can be over in a eye-blink, well, that, at least, is impressive.

I'd sword fight like Chris Leben. Always moving forward, eating swords to the face until I can land that big left sword.

Sword is a weird word. Sword.

i have no clue about fencing,but I've enjoyed watching it .

Check out some HEMA(Historical European Martial Arts) videos to get a more accurate, in a dueling context anyway, representation of sword fighting. They base the techniques used off of historical sword fighting manuals.

There's also the movie The Duelists with Harvey Keitel. It is widely regarded as having the most realistic sword fights of any movie.

Here ya go, 'authentic' Sabre fencing.

I was about to recommend his videos.

So I was watching some Olympic fencing the other day. Now obviously if you handed these guys some rapiers they'd shred any idiot that challenged them to a sword fight. Buttt....

In close 70% of the fencing exchanges, there was a double stab. That is both opponents landed milliseconds apart. Then they look at the judges who decide who landed a millisecond sooner. Whatever the case though, in a real sword fight that would have equated to both guys being stabbed. Soooo, in real sword fights, were people double stabbing each other like all the time?

No because the consequence of receiving a strike is so much worse in a real duel.

Often one was only trying to show one is prepared to die for ones ideals.

Back