Stuff you love about MMA

I love seeing fighters that just really have a unique style in the way they fight, so much so that if you had like a generic silhouette doing their moves you would be able to tell who that fighter is . For example, Dominick Cruz, Tj Dillashaw, Conor Mcgregor, Robert Whittaker, Adesanya, Rose, Ferguson, Jones .... and the list goes on.

Jokes aside,
I like the big upsets,
and in general i like to saport the underdogs !

WAR TARTARA!
Untitled-1961eb34b4d13a2fc.png

I like the respect shown between (most) fighters. Especially when they've fought a war and gained respect for each other that way.

And another vote for the MMA community. Lots of macho idiots but mostly cool people.

Good thread @PurpleStorm

Multiple martial arts makes for myriad ways to win, as well as providing all sorts of checks and balances one has to negotiate to get there. No sport I know is so rich with possibilities.
Good post. Hadn't thought of that but it's definitely a large part of the appeal for me too.

Good, fun prospects. Like Hamzat, it's about time he comes back. Or that Shahbazyan went to AKA to train. I think AKA is the best gym with the fun family atmosphere and elite knowledge from Javier, Cook, DC, Cain, Khabib, the wrestling staff and former top WW's and Josh Thomson.
Or seeing Ankalaev emerge as a top class ninja at 6 ft 3. Or how far O'Malley can go.

Big cards. 3 title fights with good match-ups and a filled up card with contenders, prospects and fun mid-tier guys, like for example Means, Perry, Moicano, Greg Hardy, Tuivasa, Swanson or Mullarkey, who's boxing I like.

A Ngannou fight. Cage looks so small when the big guy starts moving. The power wrestling exchange in the rematch had a lot of force between the two, and the improvement Frank made was stunning.

A Conor fight. The electricity in the arena. And the style to immediately go for the kill. Not via bum rush, but with tech.

A old fan favorite making a resurgence. Robbie Lawler. The hardest puncher went to ATT and rounded out his game. Won 3 UFC belts. Never would've thought, so it was more awesome. Hunt came back as well in the UFC for a short while. Was good to see the, imo, best boxer ever at HW getting some walk-offs.

Holly putting Rhonda to sleep.

I like the clashing of styles. It is food to see the fighters who are champs represent a range of styles showing there are so many ways to win.

Upsets is definitely near the top of things I love about the sport, I guess that goes along with how unpredictable MMA is, another thing I love.

Heart and resilience.

The banter and memes. Let's keep those Joe Rogan heights threads coming.

Knockouts. Earlier the better. More violent the better.

I think it's mostly trash, but it must be fucking awesome because no other sport captivates me like MMA and I stay interested year after year.

One thing though to which I need to objectively tip my hat: the level of toughness of these guys. You don't see that in other sports.
Inb4: you don't know what Ironmen go througgh
Inb4: you don't know how hard folkstyle training is
Inb4: you haven't heard about boxing
Inb4: but but what about muay thai

Nope, the level of pain MMA fighters endure during a fight (not only injuries but broken bones during a fight) and keep on fighting is unmatched in any other sport.

Underdogs winning. I love the fact that on any given night, one fighter can beat another fighter. It might be an off night for one or the performance of a lifetime for another, but there are no guaranteed winners in this sport.

And the PBP threads. Those have provided so many laughs over the years and are generally a good time.

Fighters collapsing on the scale. Reinforces just how demented this activity is.

How insanely difficult the sport is and yet people still keep on doing it.

Skill level

Its great to see where our skill levels will peak as humans in combat. I also like the skill levels can come from different backgrounds of martial arts and dominant practitioners can impose there game on anyone.

I like watching effective moves come and go over the course of the sport being around, and the moves that will never change since inception.

I also love the fact that with 4oz gloves and so many techniques at your disposal, anybody can win a fight on any given night if the circumstances play in their favor. Its wild.

Back