Study: Workout supplement may contain meth-like ingredient

What would the difference between "do(ing) free weights" and being a (weight)lifter be? Do you just mean you don't lift competitively?

Probably kettlebells or other "functional" activities.

Probably kettlebells or other "functional" activities.

BKrEbK9.gif

Barbell plates are always bound to the confines of the barbell, maaan. Everytime you use a barbell you're perpetuating that vicious cycle of opression and dependency - that's why I use kettlebells, and you should too. Its the only organic choice.

What would the difference between "do(ing) free weights" and being a (weight)lifter be? Do you just mean you don't lift competitively?

I'd assume so. When I talk about weightlifitng these days, I'm meaning the sport of Olympic weightlifting. For general strength training, I call it just that- strength training. I might do cleans, but I'm no weightlifter.

What they found was a substance called N,alpha-diethylphenylethylamine (N,a-DEPEA), which the researchers called structurally similar to methamphetamine.

What does 'structurally similar' mean in a chemical sense? Isn't there a profound difference between 2 chemicals that have even a 1-molecule difference? If they had said 'similar in effect' or something like that, I would be more concerned.

I don't really lift at all. A lot of kettlebells and smaller dumbbells.

What does 'structurally similar' mean in a chemical sense? Isn't there a profound difference between 2 chemicals that have even a 1-molecule difference? If they had said 'similar in effect' or something like that, I would be more concerned.

Well that's the thing. They are saying that the effect is also similar just not quite as strong.

Their analysis put the stimulant at a level less potent than methamphetamine, but more potent than ephedra, a stimulant banned by the Food and Drug Administration in 2003 after it was linked to heart attacks.

Fructose is structurally similar to glucose.

They're different, but both are sugars.

. . . just like Ultimate Orange in the 80's, Ripped Fuel in the 90's, Jack3d, and Craze.

The supplement industry will just keep tweeking (no pun) the chemical structure to create a new amphetamine to stay ahead of the FDA ban hammer. Can't stop the need for speed, the market demands it.

Personally my ticker can't take it anymore, a strong cup of black coffee and I'm good to go.

I found a strong cup of black coffee (i go with half a cup), 1 square of dark chocolate (from a large bar), and 1 spoon full of natural honey. BOOM! That's my pre-workout.

Back