Study: Workout supplement may contain meth-like ingredient

strangejosh

We Do Not Sow
@red
Reaction score
Holy crap. Probably not best to be taking this while going for a hard workout. You might drop dead sheesh. Hope they can pull this off the market.

Health officials often warn people taking dietary supplements that they may not know everything that's in their shakes, because the products are not subjected to the rigorous testing required by the government for medications.

Now, a Harvard researcher is warning a dietary supplement he tested, called Craze, may contain a meth-like party drug.

"Alarmingly we have found a drug in a mainstream sports supplement that has never been studied in humans," says Dr. Pieter Cohen, an assistant professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, said in a press release. "The health risk of using supplements adulterated with a drug should not be underestimated."

Scientists looked into the Craze supplement, marketed by Driven Sports, Inc., after it was flagged in several failed drug tests. Cohen teamed up with the independent testing global health organization NSF International to analyze Craze's contents.

What they found was a substance called N,alpha-diethylphenylethylamine (N,a-DEPEA), which the researchers called structurally similar to methamphetamine. Their analysis put the stimulant at a level less potent than methamphetamine, but more potent than ephedra, a stimulant banned by the Food and Drug Administration in 2003 after it was linked to heart attacks.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57607430/study-workout-supplement-may-contain-meth-like-ingredient/

Epehdra wasn't banned due to its potency, it was banned due to how unreliable its purity can be - it's a plant. Ephedrine HCL is a concentrated form and it's perfectly safe.

More fear mongering.

Uhhh. No. But feel free to take it. I wont risk it. Why the hell would I need this crap anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-8100-ephedrine+hcl+oral.aspx

It's been proven in clinical studies to be virtually the only stimulant to be effective in meaningful weight loss when combined with caffeine. The range of efficacy is 2-5 lbs/month.

I am talking about ephedrine HCL, I don't know anything about the chemical in the 1st post.

Sheep... "LOL DONT TAKE IT YOU'LL DROP DEAD DURRRR". Just because some fucking jackass decides to pop five times the maximum dosage along with countless Vodka Red Bulls and croaks from it doesnt mean members of the regular population start dropping dead whole-sale from aneurysms when consuming a PWO. GTFO.

I've known about the meth in Craze for about a year now. If you go back to my posts, you'll see me dropping hints about it. A rather famous chemist outed their secret ingredient after all the "craze" about it started and a couple of NCAA athletes tested positive for amphetamines.

This isn't a "tainted" supplement. The company is knowningly, willingly, and intentionally putting an amphetamine analog that is legally grey into their product.

. . . just like Ultimate Orange in the 80's, Ripped Fuel in the 90's, Jack3d, and Craze.

The supplement industry will just keep tweeking (no pun) the chemical structure to create a new amphetamine to stay ahead of the FDA ban hammer. Can't stop the need for speed, the market demands it.

Personally my ticker can't take it anymore, a strong cup of black coffee and I'm good to go.

It's been proven in clinical studies to be virtually the only stimulant to be effective in meaningful weight loss when combined with caffeine. The range of efficacy is 2-5 lbs/month.

Adderall, Dexadrine, and other Rx stimulants are incredibly effective at weight loss.

Or did you mean only out of legal over the counter stimulants?

Because you can lose weight easily on cocaine too.

Combining strong stimulants (nearly anything harder than caffeine) with intense physical activity may result in short term performance gains but generally comes with long term health costs and the possibility of rare but severe acute health problems particularly in individuals with pre existing heart conditions, or individuals who overdose or combine multiple agents to create an effective overdose.

I am talking about ephedrine HCL, I don't know anything about the chemical in the 1st post.

So losing a few pounds in the short term is ok but your long term health is not? Huh. Strange priorities.

I bought a big jug of it for cheap when there were suspicions that it would go off the market. Didn't compare to meth.

Adderall, Dexadrine, and other Rx stimulants are incredibly effective at weight loss.

Or did you mean only out of legal over the counter stimulants?

Because you can lose weight easily on cocaine too.

Combining strong stimulants (nearly anything harder than caffeine) with intense physical activity may result in short term performance gains but generally comes with long term health costs and the possibility of rare but severe acute health problems particularly in individuals with pre existing heart conditions, or individuals who overdose or combine multiple agents to create an effective overdose.

I'm talking about stable, clinical interventions without known side effects - not illegal, untested stuff. I'm sure doing 5 lbs of coke a day would be a great weight loss regiment too, if you survived.

I'm talking about stable, clinical interventions without known side effects - not illegal, untested stuff. I'm sure doing 5 lbs of coke a day would be a great weight loss regiment too, if you survived.

Legal/Illegal, controlled substance/over the counter, to think one is 'safer' than the other is fairly naive. They've all been clinically studied, and have similar benefits and side effects. Efficacy, safety and legality often have little to do with one another. Taking small amounts of cocaine daily is just as 'safe' as many other stimulants. Taking 5lbs of ephedrine or caffeine is a fatality waiting to happen as well.

I bought a big jug of it for cheap when there were suspicions that it would go off the market. Didn't compare to meth.

Yeah I must agree it certainly does not. Honestly Craze isn't even one of the stronger pre workout formulas. It didn't do shit for me. These things must be consumed as directed usually a couple scoops. It's not Red Bull. If you mix it with alcohol you are asking for trouble.
This rumor of it being like meth fyi has been around a while. Great marketing ploy!

Yeah I must agree it certainly does not. Honestly Craze isn't even one of the stronger pre workout formulas. It didn't do shit for me. These things must be consumed as directed usually a couple scoops. It's not Red Bull. If you mix it with alcohol you are asking for trouble.
This rumor of it being like meth fyi has been around a while. Great marketing ploy!

It's not a marketing ploy. There's a chemist very well known in the supplement industry that had several tubs shipped to him and he tested it for all known amphetamine analogs. It tested positive for a specific amphetamine. Does this mean it'll be as strong as popping a bunch of adderal, ritalin, or crank? No. But I wouldn't take Craze if you're a tested athlete of any kind, on probation, or parole.

You may have got a bad/good batch.

I was halfway joking as I can't really accurately tell you what meth is like. I normally don't even buy preworkout as I can just pop caffiene + B-vitamins, but when I heard that this was supposed to really jack you up and that it may be discontinued soon, I found some for sale and purchased about 60 servings worth. It definitely did more for me than the typical caffiene + B vitamin. I normally lift two weekdays and both weekend days, and it was strong enough where I didn't want to take it on weekdays. I started at one scoop, and I never have taken more than two. It's good, but not good enough to turn me into this:

SALADmeth.jpg

Sources please.

I don't think they should be able to call these things "dietary supplements". In what world does someone's diet ever include such substances so that they might need to supplement it?

A more accurate description would be: Possibly impure and mostly untested drugs.

I don't think they should be able to call these things "dietary supplements". In what world does someone's diet ever include such substances so that they might need to supplement it?

A more accurate description would be: Possibly impure and mostly untested drugs.

Agreed. I don't get the pre workout supplement thing but I'm not a lifter. I run, do free weights, BJJ and some calisthenics. Never needed anything.

Back