Study finds over 80 percent of COVID-19 patients have vitamin D deficiency

This also could be part of the reason black people get hit hard with covid.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21310306/

Mounting evidence suggests that vitamin D deficiency could be linked to several chronic diseases, including cardiovascular disease and cancer. The purpose of this study was to examine the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and its correlates to test the hypothesis that vitamin D deficiency was common in the US population, especially in certain minority groups. The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005 to 2006 data were analyzed for vitamin D levels in adult participants (N = 4495). Vitamin D deficiency was defined as a serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations ≤20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L). The overall prevalence rate of vitamin D deficiency was 41.6%, with the highest rate seen in blacks (82.1%), followed by Hispanics (69.2%).

Is my vitamin D deficiency a pre-existing condition?

less than 1% of Dr.s in USA have taken even a single course on nutrition.
I’d be interested in your source for this. I did a quick search and it is clear that education about nutrition is clearly lacking, nonetheless.

“Despite the connection between poor diet and many preventable diseases, only about one-fifth of American medical schools require students to take a nutrition course, according to David Eisenberg, adjunct associate professor of nutrition at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.” https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/doctors-nutrition-education/

Do you know Why? I'm outside a fair deal and I hope that means mine are normal or high.
Other ways to help your vitamin D levels:

1. Spend time in sunlight. Vitamin D is often referred to as “the sunshine vitamin” because the sun is one of the best sources of this nutrient. ...
  2. Consume fatty fish and seafood. ...
  3. Eat more mushrooms. ...
  4. Include egg yolks in your diet. ...
  5. Eat fortified foods. ...
  6. Take a supplement. ...
  7. Try a UV lamp.

I feel like almost every modern human has low vitamin D. We’ve become house and office creatures rather than farmer, hunter, and outdoor market ones
Facts.
Pretty sure 80% of people in general have a vitamin D deficiency. This study really doesn't mean anything.
Might be true too, although i'd hope there is something to it, as a vitamin D supplementation could then help a lot, potentially.

That's what I have done to avoid cold and flu bugs for over the last decade, raise my vitamin D levels by using a sunlamp in winter time. I'm not sure if it is the vitamin D helping me though as there are several other substances created when sunlights shines on skin.

Of late I've also begun drinking some wine daily. I read of a couple studies that found moderate alcohol drinkers experienced 10 times fewer cold and flu symptoms compared to teetotalers.

I don't know what you think you're saying by citing this, but I wish you Flubros would shut up.

You were wrong. You've been slapped in the face with your wrong predictions so many times, in such a short window of time, it's simply flabbergasting any of you have the gall to show your faces in COVID threads at all.
As opposed to the predictions of "experts". They've flip-flopped and been shown to be wrong so many times.

Vitamin D supplement usage is common in the nordic countries due to dark winter. Our biggest milk producer even adds it in the milk.

less than 1% of Dr.s in USA have taken even a single course on nutrition.

Sadly, this is true. I've read the syllabus of med schools in my province and talked to my co workers and doctor friends, my exercise physiology degree had significantly greater focus on nutrition. Doctors typically know very little about it.

That's what I have done to avoid cold and flu bugs for over the last decade, raise my vitamin D levels by using a sunlamp in winter time. I'm not sure if it is the vitamin D helping me though as there are several other substances created when sunlights shines on skin.

Of late I've also begun drinking some wine daily. I read of a couple studies that found moderate alcohol drinkers experienced 10 times fewer cold and flu symptoms compared to teetotalers.
i wish i could do that whole moderate drinking thing

I’d be interested in your source for this. I did a quick search and it is clear that education about nutrition is clearly lacking, nonetheless.

“Despite the connection between poor diet and many preventable diseases, only about one-fifth of American medical schools require students to take a nutrition course, according to David Eisenberg, adjunct associate professor of nutrition at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.” https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/doctors-nutrition-education/
thats what i found after getting called on it, too. My number may have been off, although those one fifth schools may be smaller, lol?

ya, it looks like 20%

My wife has MS, and a vitamin D deficiency and is VERY sick of my hilarious jokes about curing her incurable autoimmune disorder with more injections of vitamin D.

The average is something like 20 something contact hours. If you figure each lecture is 1-2 hours long, this equates to a fair amount of lectures on nutrition. My school definitely had more than this.

The average is something like 20 something contact hours. If you figure each lecture is 1-2 hours long, this equates to a fair amount of lectures on nutrition. My school definitely had more than this.
so you went to one of the schools that do, then. And i agree, that is a fair amount. But the majority of schools dont require that.

so you went to one of the schools that do, then. And i agree, that is a fair amount. But the majority of schools dont require that.

Im curious if there are specific requirements for any subject. You would think there would be some requirements for accreditation maybe, but I wasn’t able to locate anything in a cursory search, and I know curriculum can vary a lot by school. My school was super light on biochem and embryology compared to most I think but heavier on nutrition, musculoskeletal, and anatomy. We had a fair amount of nutrition. I took some advanced nutrition elective in my first 2 years and did a month long elective at some obesity center in my fourth year.

Back