Study finds over 80 percent of COVID-19 patients have vitamin D deficiency

Over 80 percent of 200 COVID-19 patients in a hospital in Spain have vitamin D deficiency, according to a new study published in the Endocrine Society’s Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Vitamin D is a hormone the kidneys produce that controls blood calcium concentration and impacts the immune system. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to a variety of health concerns, although research is still underway into why the hormone impacts other systems of the body. Many studies point to the beneficial effect of vitamin D on the immune system, especially regarding protection against infections.

“One approach is to identify and treat vitamin D deficiency, especially in high-risk individuals such as the elderly, patients with comorbidities, and nursing home residents, who are the main target population for the COVID-19,” said study co-author José L. Hernández, Ph.D., of the University of Cantabria in Santander, Spain. “Vitamin D treatment should be recommended in COVID-19 patients with low levels of vitamin D circulating in the blood since this approach might have beneficial effects in both the musculoskeletal and the immune system.”

The researchers found 80 percent of 216 COVID-19 patients at the Hospital Universitario Marqués de Valdecilla had vitamin D deficiency, and men had lower vitamin D levels than women. COVID-19 patients with lower vitamin D levels also had raised serum levels of inflammatory markers such as ferritin and D-dimer.

Continue reading

Not surprising at all. But unfortunately this is what we have come to, we need studies reaffirming what is logical and obvious thanks to this massive propaganda we are being bombarded with since this shit show started.
I don't know what you think you're saying by citing this, but I wish you Flubros would shut up.

You were wrong. You've been slapped in the face with your wrong predictions so many times, in such a short window of time, it's simply flabbergasting any of you have the gall to show your faces in COVID threads at all.

I know a couple of ladies that could use some extra D, they wouldn't want to catch Covid after all...

BoilingSecondhandGroundbeetle-size_restricted.gif

I don't know what you think you're saying by citing this, but I wish you Flubros would shut up.

You were wrong. You've been slapped in the face with your wrong predictions so many times, in such a short window of time, it's simply flabbergasting any of you have the gall to show your faces in COVID threads at all.
It's pretty obvious what the study proves. That isn't some revolutionary finding, renowned doctors have been saying this since the beginning of this circus. People should strength their immune system, Vitamine C, D, Zinc among others do this. It's well stablished science.
But explain where I was wrong and why. What predictions did I exactly make ? That should be entertaining.

Last edited:
We did, of course.
_112999435_brazil_cases_20jun-nc.png

Winter started June 20, but to be fair, you wouldn't know it living in many places here as the temperatures do not vary that much, except in the south.
I believe the summer heat may lead people to stay outdoors more and/or keep their windows open but most people nowadays work in cramped offices with AC, so it's a bit irrelevant how things are on the outside.

About Vitamin D, you guys should take the capsules if you can't stay out in the sun but it's a stretch to claim it's in anyway related to COVID and not as another poster said just an obvious coincidence as most modern people have low vitamin D and what's more there's no proof Vitamin D affects the immune system and any capacity, it just makes you at risk of bone problems, rickets for children, osteoporosis for the elderly.
and Brazil was the last to lock down.

Over 80 percent of 200 COVID-19 patients in a hospital in Spain have vitamin D deficiency, according to a new study published in the Endocrine Society’s Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Vitamin D is a hormone the kidneys produce that controls blood calcium concentration and impacts the immune system. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to a variety of health concerns, although research is still underway into why the hormone impacts other systems of the body. Many studies point to the beneficial effect of vitamin D on the immune system, especially regarding protection against infections.

“One approach is to identify and treat vitamin D deficiency, especially in high-risk individuals such as the elderly, patients with comorbidities, and nursing home residents, who are the main target population for the COVID-19,” said study co-author José L. Hernández, Ph.D., of the University of Cantabria in Santander, Spain. “Vitamin D treatment should be recommended in COVID-19 patients with low levels of vitamin D circulating in the blood since this approach might have beneficial effects in both the musculoskeletal and the immune system.”

The researchers found 80 percent of 216 COVID-19 patients at the Hospital Universitario Marqués de Valdecilla had vitamin D deficiency, and men had lower vitamin D levels than women. COVID-19 patients with lower vitamin D levels also had raised serum levels of inflammatory markers such as ferritin and D-dimer.

Continue reading

Not surprising at all. But unfortunately this is what we have come to, we need studies reaffirming what is logical and obvious thanks to this massive propaganda we are being bombarded with since this shit show started.

Yep! This is also the case with other diseases (e.g. Vitamin A and measles), and for some odd reason, we hear almost nothing about how important nutrition is to health... I think this is due to the fact that modern medicine has an incentive to sell drugs.

That's Spain. Not the US, not the UK. People don't live of junk food, are relatively healthy and weather is terrific.
Most people spend most of their time working or at home even with nice beaches and sunny weather. Sad but true.

Yep! This is also the case with other diseases (e.g. Vitamin A and measles), and for some odd reason, we hear almost nothing about how important nutrition is to health... I think this is due to the fact that modern medicine has an incentive to sell drugs.
less than 1% of Dr.s in USA have taken even a single course on nutrition.

Not sure the significance of this. At least half of adults are probably deficient, and this number will be even higher in the elderly population. I would bet there’s not a lot of difference in prevalence between old people hospitalized with COVID vs non hospitalized 70-year-olds.

I feel like almost every modern human has low vitamin D. We’ve become house and office creatures rather than farmer, hunter, and outdoor market ones

Yep I try to take my son outside for an hour at least to get some vitamin D on the weekends. During weekdays I just go sit outside but during the summer I give up shits to hot.

You'd be shocked how many people in all of the developed world have serious vitamin deficiencies. Eating like shit and not taking a multivitamin probably applies to 75% of the US, and I'm probably underestimating.

Yeah exactly. Where I used to live a D deficiency was very common and most people were recommended supplements. 10 or so years many people's insurance would not cover a vitamin D test and in some places in the US it was really expensive.

I wonder what the average rate of D deficiency in Spain is? It would be nice to have that bit of info.

The article draws no conclusions. Are the patients susceptible to COVID because of a pre-existing vitamin D deficiency, or does the virus cause a deficiency?

Yeah exactly. Where I used to live a D deficiency was very common and most people were recommended supplements. 10 or so years many people's insurance would not cover a vitamin D test and in some places in the US it was really expensive.

I wonder what the average rate of D deficiency in Spain is? It would be nice to have that bit of info.

Yeah. I’m pretty sure the average Spaniard would have a ..... 80% chance of being vitamin D deficient. Humans do not at all get as much sunlight as we historically did

I remember hearing about this a while back. I started taking a vitamin d supplement. Can't hurt, I guess.

Pretty sure 80% of people in general have a vitamin D deficiency. This study really doesn't mean anything.
It surely could in relation to the role vitamin d plays in the immune system.

This also could be part of the reason black people get hit hard with covid.

Back