Study finds over 80 percent of COVID-19 patients have vitamin D deficiency

phoenixikki

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Over 80 percent of 200 COVID-19 patients in a hospital in Spain have vitamin D deficiency, according to a new study published in the Endocrine Society’s Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

Vitamin D is a hormone the kidneys produce that controls blood calcium concentration and impacts the immune system. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to a variety of health concerns, although research is still underway into why the hormone impacts other systems of the body. Many studies point to the beneficial effect of vitamin D on the immune system, especially regarding protection against infections.

“One approach is to identify and treat vitamin D deficiency, especially in high-risk individuals such as the elderly, patients with comorbidities, and nursing home residents, who are the main target population for the COVID-19,” said study co-author José L. Hernández, Ph.D., of the University of Cantabria in Santander, Spain. “Vitamin D treatment should be recommended in COVID-19 patients with low levels of vitamin D circulating in the blood since this approach might have beneficial effects in both the musculoskeletal and the immune system.”

The researchers found 80 percent of 216 COVID-19 patients at the Hospital Universitario Marqués de Valdecilla had vitamin D deficiency, and men had lower vitamin D levels than women. COVID-19 patients with lower vitamin D levels also had raised serum levels of inflammatory markers such as ferritin and D-dimer.

Continue reading

Not surprising at all. But unfortunately this is what we have come to, we need studies reaffirming what is logical and obvious thanks to this massive propaganda we are being bombarded with since this shit show started.

You'd be shocked how many people in all of the developed world have serious vitamin deficiencies. Eating like shit and not taking a multivitamin probably applies to 75% of the US, and I'm probably underestimating.

I surprisingly found out I had very low vitamin d levels in the spring. Was prescribed weekly supplements for 3 months, but havent had it checked since.

I surprisingly found out I had very low vitamin d levels in the spring. Was prescribed weekly supplements for 3 months, but havent had it checked since.

I feel like almost every modern human has low vitamin D. We’ve become house and office creatures rather than farmer, hunter, and outdoor market ones

Do you know Why? I'm outside a fair deal and I hope that means mine are normal or high.

I feel like almost every modern human has low vitamin D. We’ve become house and office creatures rather than farmer, hunter, and outdoor market ones
Gotta go outside. Too many people are couch potatoes. It's easy I know, but man you just have to go outside and not be on a screen all the time. Unless it's raining, I take my kids outside everyday. Made them walk 50 mins one way to the store and back.
BTW I saw research that the 50m run time in my prefecture is down, or slower by 2 seconds for elementary school kids.

Pretty sure 80% of people in general have a vitamin D deficiency. This study really doesn't mean anything.
agreed, but shouldn't be ignored. Vitamin D plays a significant role in immense system health.

It cant hurt to take it. Just make sure you couple it with vitamin K2 to prevent arterial calcification

Yea probably because everything is locked down and people have burrowed themselves indoors. You need to get sun or supplement with vit D.

Like OP has said, nothing surprising here. People can't be arsed to take care of themselves.

Pretty sure 80% of people in general have a vitamin D deficiency. This study really doesn't mean anything.
The conclusion isn't surprising or anything a little bit of common sense cannot derive. That being said, people need to start fucking taking care of their immune systems if we expect to be combating a global pandemic. If we are to lock ourselves down for the good of the collective and to not overwhelm the hospital system then for the love of God supplement with Vitamins and eat like a human being.

I also had a low level a year ago but started taking capsules. Had more lab work done two weeks ago but don't know results.

There was a guy on the Death To Tyrants podcast recently that was talking about this being an issue for Covid. And it's even harder to get during these times for people that don't enjoy doing outdoor activities. Luckily I know it has encouraged a lot of people to get out and experience nature.

This same guy was also talking about melatonin during this podcast but can't remember it's relation to covid

ive been saying since the start that the sun must be a major factor when comparing islands like Iceland and New Zealand or hubs like LA and New York.

One of many factors. Definitely not all about who is leader of the country, lol.

the southern hemisphere didnt get cases until it was their winter, and our summer brought ours down.... kinda like every other virus.

ive been saying since the start that the sun must be a major factor when comparing islands like Iceland and New Zealand or hubs like LA and New York.

One of many factors. Definitely not all about who is leader of the country, lol.

the southern hemisphere didnt get cases until it was their winter, and our summer brought ours down.... kinda like every other virus.
We did, of course.
_112999435_brazil_cases_20jun-nc.png

Winter started June 20, but to be fair, you wouldn't know it living in many places here as the temperatures do not vary that much, except in the south.
I believe the summer heat may lead people to stay outdoors more and/or keep their windows open but most people nowadays work in cramped offices with AC, so it's a bit irrelevant how things are on the outside.

About Vitamin D, you guys should take the capsules if you can't stay out in the sun but it's a stretch to claim it's in anyway related to COVID and not as another poster said just an obvious coincidence as most modern people have low vitamin D and what's more there's no proof Vitamin D affects the immune system and any capacity, it just makes you at risk of bone problems, rickets for children, osteoporosis for the elderly.

I seem to recall the D being brought up in those epic early covid threads. Wife and i ordered a bottle of D in feb as a result.

Back