Study finds no increase in diversity in popular films in the last decade

Darth_Inv1ctu5

Yellow Card
@Black
Reaction score
https://mashable.com/2018/07/31/ann...ource=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds#_v6tK_NhSiqL

So I have to wonder here what the desired outcome is. I can certainly agree that equality of opportunity is likely not yet there, but are we expecting and equality of outcomes as well, in what is ostensibly an area of art? In other words, when the study states that there has been stagnancy in, say, male/female ratio in the speaking movie roles over the last decade, is the expectation that the market should be given the ratio of 50/50 irrespective of what makes $ at the box office? That stories that we tell should aim for perfect representation as a goal unto itself irrespective of the story we are trying to tell?

Am I missing something here? The market wants what the market wants, and a storyteller has every right to choose what character setup conveys their story the best. What the fuck is going on?

I read that entire article. It is pure poison of the mind. Everything is about gender and race to liberals these days and how the White everywhere is bad. I don’t even know if liberal is the right term, that kind of shit isn’t liberal.

Then watch some TV commercials.. it appear that you now can't make a commercial with a white couple.

I read that entire article. It is pure poison of the mind. Everything is about gender and race to liberals these days and how the White everywhere is bad. I don’t even know if liberal is the right term, that kind of shit isn’t liberal.
Not just to liberals.

We get far more cries if a movie has a woman or minority cast in a key role. Screams of pandering and how it must now stop despite the FACT that the pandering has and is always been far more targeted at white males and they were never complaining and demanding it stop when it was just them being pandered to.

GotG has White, blue, green, tree, racoon, celestial, and black people.

It's not liberal....it is leftist insanity..
Recreational outrage...

Being pissed off for the sake of being pissed off.

Then watch some TV commercials.. it appear that you now can't make a commercial with a white couple.

This is the kind of absurd bullshit that it actually seems like internet dwellers have convinced themselves is a reality.

Will somebody super conservative with a shred of integrity let this person know that is 100% ridiculous? At some point you guys need to put an end to just making stuff up on the internet and saying it until you think it's true.

Maybe it's just a study that shares information about the state of the industry. I don't work in Hollywood so I'm not sure how important this conversation is to the people who actually work in Hollywood. But for those people, people who work in Hollywood, I'm sure that some of them find the information helpful, some find it concerning, and some find it irrelevant.

For the people who don't work in Hollywood, tv, or film - I don't see why this would alarm any of them. It's not going to affect their jobs or their lives in any way.

As far as the study itself goes, the race numbers are fairly representative of the population (with the exception of Latinos). The 2:1 male to female ratio is probably the most out of sync. I wonder if that's because of the industries most frequently represented on screen.

I heard there's no diversity increase in Bollywood or in Chinese films either.

No outrage there though, shocker.

They are going to make movies that are going to make money.

That's their goal.

The assumption here is that people can't enjoy a movie or relate with the characters if they don't share the skin colour and gender. That's far more racist. No woman is watching mission impossible and thinking, wow this sucks I wish Tom Cruise was a woman, the bad guys were women and all the spies were women, otherwise I just can't enjoy this.

Doesn’t really matter. Just don’t start changing European history/culture, like “diversifying” Victorian era English aristocracy or some shit.

Achilles is now black.

<{outtahere}>

The people who aren't being represented, should feel lucky that they're not being conned into watching Hollywood trash.

https://mashable.com/2018/07/31/ann...ource=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds#_v6tK_NhSiqL

So I have to wonder here what the desired outcome is. I can certainly agree that equality of opportunity is likely not yet there, but are we expecting and equality of outcomes as well, in what is ostensibly an area of art? In other words, when the study states that there has been stagnancy in, say, male/female ratio in the speaking movie roles over the last decade, is the expectation that the market should be given the ratio of 50/50 irrespective of what makes $ at the box office? That stories that we tell should aim for perfect representation as a goal unto itself irrespective of the story we are trying to tell?

Am I missing something here? The market wants what the market wants, and a storyteller has every right to choose what character setup conveys their story the best. What the fuck is going on?

Has diversity gone up in movies that are not popular?

I think the new Spike Lee film will make up for it.

This situation has come about because the positions of power that matter in Hollywood; studio executives & VPs, agency presidents, heads of departments, etc, have all been held a vast majority of the time by white males. These are the people that green-lit projects and attach talent. White males who usually hire others that look like them, grew up watching white media, and relate to the white scripts that come across their desk.

That’s how you end up with 2 terrible Ghost Rider flicks starring a long ago washed up white actor Nicolas Cage before the powers would even consider a gigantic hit project with a black lead and story like Black Panther.

Same goes for the lack of diversity in winning the awards. Studios carefully choose which Oscar hopeful projects get green-lit and funded and when the teams making that call are white dudes you’re going to get white stories with white characters.

It’s not about hitting some ratio of projects that correlates to national race and sex statistics. It’s more about having a team of people in charge of Hollywood that’s more diverse and has some insight and connection to culture that isn’t just white male. Hollywood is just people telling stories and if the group of folks deciding which stories get told are all white older dudes, we’ll you can guess what kind of story they’ll put out.

Last edited:
Back