Social Study finds Covid has altered Americans attitudes toward inequality and the poor

forum poster

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The coronavirus pandemic may have altered how many people in the United States view the poor, according to new research published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. The study indicates that people became more likely to blame external factors for poverty and less likely to blame personal failings after the outbreak of the virus.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/11/stu...ttitudes-toward-inequality-and-the-poor-58598

Maybe this will open the door for a more leftist/Bernie type candidate in 2024.

Discuss..

Making the poor into pet food isn’t politically correct but I think it’s aligned with the elite rulings classes interests and the “great reset”

Yea its understandable. I would assume many had their worlds turned upside down due to covid, government shut downs and other forces outside their control.

Much easier to be empathetic to others experiencing similar predicaments.

Reminds me of this saying about the Whitechapel murders/Jack the Ripper, in regards to the populace and media being interested in the health and well being of the poor afterwards:

"Whilst we conventional Social Democrats were wasting our time on education, agitation and organisation, some independent genius has taken the matter in hand, and by simply murdering and disembowelling ... women, converted the proprietary press to an inept sort of communism."

Last edited:
The coronavirus pandemic may have altered how many people in the United States view the poor, according to new research published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. The study indicates that people became more likely to blame external factors for poverty and less likely to blame personal failings after the outbreak of the virus.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/11/stu...ttitudes-toward-inequality-and-the-poor-58598

Maybe this will open the door for a more leftist/Bernie type candidate in 2024.

Discuss..
I dont think it "altered", but rather educated.

People realized that when money cant buy a cure, they are all in the same bucket.

The trumpvirus is the great equalizer, and now is the opportunity to build back better into a more equitable and fair society,

The first survey was an online survey with only 453 respondents, and the followup survey was 233 of those. There are over 330 million Americans, so not sure 233 people answering an online survey is indicative of "Americans' attitude".

However, the handful of people who responded are correct in both cases. Poverty had more to do with personal failings until the government forced businesses that weren't donors to close, and incentivized people who didn't lose their jobs to go on unemployment anyway, which spells the opposite of "let's have the people who just forced us out of work and closed our business in charge of even more". We just got a taste of what that looks like and it was complete shit, and only the most ridiculous people find it appealing to have that permanently.

However, we saw overall attitude change (i.e., in average attitudes between April 2019 and May 2020) only on attributions for poverty but not support for inequality or government intervention,” Wiwad explained.

Back