Studio 540 Secret Seminar! (Sept 10, 2015)

The moment I get Marcelo's back in training is the moment I quit BJJ forever. "He left at the top" the legend will say.

If you watch Marcelo's rolls on MGinaction, he gets submitted with surprising frequency (for what you'd expect) by a variety of people. You can debate the reasons for this (keeping it playful, trying to learn, etc.) but he's hardly one of those 'unsubmittable' grapplers like some other legends, or at least he doesn't care to project that aura.

I think there's competition Marcelo and open mat Marcelo.

Or, maybe age is just catching up to him. People really keep denying that physicality plays a role in good jiu jitsu. It's not all technique.

There is likely a difference between retired Marcelo doing a seminar (didn't he have injury this year) and fully prepared for competition Marcelo.

There is likely a difference between retired Marcelo doing a seminar (didn't he have injury this year) and fully prepared for competition Marcelo.

Yeah he blew his ACL and he's healing from that and just had a new baby. If anyone tries to read a lot either way into a friendly seminar roll, they are being a little goofy

If you watch Marcelo's rolls on MGinaction, he gets submitted with surprising frequency (for what you'd expect) by a variety of people. You can debate the reasons for this (keeping it playful, trying to learn, etc.) but he's hardly one of those 'unsubmittable' grapplers like some other legends, or at least he doesn't care to project that aura.

Really? I deactivated my subscription about a year ago, but the only people I ever remember tapping him were Faria and that Russian Sambo dude.

I think there's competition Marcelo and open mat Marcelo.

Or, maybe age is just catching up to him. People really keep denying that physicality plays a role in good jiu jitsu. It's not all technique.

There was a video going around awhile back called something like 'Monday Marcelo' and it was him going full speed at a competition class just destroying everyone. I think when he wants to turn it up he still can, though of course as he gets older that's going to fade. It didn't look like either him or Keenan were going that hard, but Keenan taking his back isn't hard to believe. He's a lot bigger active competitor with very high level BJJ. Marcelo has lost plenty of matches to bigger elite guys even during his competitive prime. That's what happens when you put yourself out there against huge elite beasts, even if you are the GOAT.

Really? I deactivated my subscription about a year ago, but the only people I ever remember tapping him were Faria and that Russian Sambo dude.

Just off the top of my head, seems like closed guard players Dominyka Obelenyte and Dan Covel catch him about once per roll. Matheuz Diniz seems to get him in a lot of bad positions also, and you'll occasionally see random guys with tricky guards tie him up in stuff. The more I watch of MG, I feel like his losses at ADCC against Jacare and Drysdale are probably how things would go for him most of the time if he wasn't so aggressive with his attacks, and refusal to engage in bad positions. That's the key to his style-- he's not a destroyer of worlds like Rickson Gracie or an unsubmittable witch like Rafa Mendes, just a guy who is relentless about commanding the highest percentage situations possible in each moment.

Back