Opinion Student Loan Debate: SCOTUS strikes down Biden sweeping debt forgiveness order

Which plan do you currently agree with most? (if not exact to your position, explain in a post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What will be done about student loan debt next year and the year after? People will continue to take out loans to get degrees.
Nothing will change until they address the reasons why college is expensive.

Lol do you think these fucking dinosaurs even think about what they are going to be doing tomorrow, let alone in 10 years? This is a game to them. They used to be able to get away with just giving money away to their wealthiest donors, then Trump changed the game by mailing checks to Americans. Now Biden has to one up and give away 10,000 +. Can't wait to see what the prize is for being a financial moron in 2026. Probably give everyone a million dollars, of course it will be worth about $10 by then.

Wonder if this would be individual income or combined income.

Biden to Unveil Long-Awaited Student Debt Relief Measures on Wednesday (msn.com)

We'll get an answer tomorrow

Sources saying pause extended to December, and announcement of 10K forgiveness to under 125K

He needs to do this. The economic benefits also are good for forgiving this amount. It frees up income and monthly payments that can go into future investment.

After doing this he needs to work to make state schools dirt cheap. Do whatever most European countries do to make tuition cheap.

He needs to do this. The economic benefits also are good for forgiving this amount. It frees up income and monthly payments that can go into future investment.

After doing this he needs to work to make state schools dirt cheap. Do whatever most European countries do to make tuition cheap.

they're not going to do anything other than try to buy votes. Not surprisingly the issue of free money is welcomed by both "conservatives" and liberals alike.

This whole game is based on delivering 10K and then promising more IF they keep Congress and the Presidency over the next few years. I'm guessing this will fail spectacularly because contrary to delusional bleeding heart belief, no one cares about a social problem once their own problems are alleviated.

Sick time to book my trip to Europe and spend $8k visiting the world on my credit card and further delaying my payments due then cry about those next! Credit card debt relief next!

If that credit card debt was taken out within a few months of turning 18, while being pressured that this was the best way to improve your life, and you couldn’t declare bankruptcy from it then yeah I’d agree credit card debt next

But the two types of debt are radically different. Mainly because CC debt can be discharged through bankruptcy, or as I see plenty of adds for, reduced through a debt relief company. Neither of those actions can be taken with student loan debt.

If that credit card debt was taken out within a few months of turning 18, while being pressured that this was the best way to improve your life, and you couldn’t declare bankruptcy from it then yeah I’d agree credit card debt next

But the two types of debt are radically different. Mainly because CC debt can be discharged through bankruptcy, or as I see plenty of adds for, reduced through a debt relief company. Neither of those actions can be taken with student loan debt.
I was being very sarcastic. Im not in favor of student loan forgiveness if they’re not going to stop backing these loans to begin with and propping up colleges and universities from overcharging.

I was being very sarcastic. Im not in favor of student loan forgiveness if they’re not going to stop backing these loans to begin with and propping up colleges and universities from overcharging.

This is the biggest problem imo. Colleges trying to keep up with Healthcare in terms of fucking over the average American. It cost me over $200,000 to get my doctorate of pharmacy. In reality less than 1/3 of that time and money was necessary for me to succeed in the field.

they're not going to do anything other than try to buy votes. Not surprisingly the issue of free money is welcomed by both "conservatives" and liberals alike.

This whole game is based on delivering 10K and then promising more IF they keep Congress and the Presidency over the next few years. I'm guessing this will fail spectacularly because contrary to delusional bleeding heart belief, no one cares about a social problem once their own problems are alleviated.

They have to deliver if he doesnt do it oeople will be annoyed he cant keep delaying

They have to deliver if he doesnt do it oeople will be annoyed he cant keep delaying
People will stop giving a fuck as soon as he gives them what they want. What are they going to do? Go out and buy a house. What do you care about as homeowners? Taxes. So they're creating conservatives by doing this.

This is the biggest problem imo. Colleges trying to keep up with Healthcare in terms of fucking over the average American. It cost me over $200,000 to get my doctorate of pharmacy. In reality less than 1/3 of that time and money was necessary for me to succeed in the field.
They can charge whatever they want because there is literally an unlimited supply of money available. The US economy is a fine balancing act between giving the people who control government free money and making sure the mob has the bare minimum for food and housing, because that's the bare minimum you need before you experience real unrest.

Credit card debt rarely reaches 50K, while student loan debt often reaches 50K. To get to 50K in credit card debt, you have to have some sort of credit history to begin with. To get 50K in student loans you just have to be a fucking moron. Student loans are disguised as charity for middle class and below (which is actually a fucking joke that a "middle class" family can't afford college. To me that means poor but that would probably offend the keeping up with the Joneses types). Student loans in reality are slavery for most, and this 10K "cancellation" is actually a handout for the slave drivers.

I got PAID 150K to get my PhD in biomedical engineering.... spread in 6.5 years lol.

I think at that rate you don't need it either. Also $10k is a drop in the bucket for the dude with a $300k philosophy degree working at Starbucks
I kept the cash to pay it off because I figured it wouldn’t happen. I purposefully paid it down to 10,000 since I figured that would be the most they would do.

You should be making enough to pay that off in a couple years if you just bite down and get it done.

Back