Opinion Student Loan Debate: SCOTUS strikes down Biden sweeping debt forgiveness order

Which plan do you currently agree with most? (if not exact to your position, explain in a post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Biden is alpha AF

joe-biden-sunglasses-678x446.gif

Biden is alpha AF

joe-biden-sunglasses-678x446.gif

News worthy but just to clarify, this isn’t the pending decision we are waiting on for August on the pause and broad forgiveness. I believe there was another school that got forgiveness which was the largest on record. ITT tech was horrible. Completely horrifying people had debt from that place.

He needs to do it. Then he would get faithful Democrat voters like with Civil Rights act

You must give first

he's going to give 10k to people under 125 k p/year because people making 126 p/year are loaded. Also you can't forgive all of loans because then you would have nothing to dangle in front of the voters in the future. 10K, 125K p/year or less. LMFAO at people making 126k with 10 k in loans. I'd fucking quit right now tbh.

This is the administrative equivalent of Michael Scott. Promised something they couldn't deliver, and now they're just stalling because they know it's going to be awful.

Man it’s really getting down to the wire and no decisions yet on extension or resumption

The extended pause seems extremely likely at this point as they stopped notices about early this month about payments starting back up. The reason I think it’s taking so long is they want to announce whatever their forgiveness plan is at the same time as the extension.

The extended pause seems extremely likely at this point as they stopped notices about early this month about payments starting back up. The reason I think it’s taking so long is they want to announce whatever their forgiveness plan is at the same time as the extension.

Trying to get that announcement as close to October Midterms as possible?

I'm in a weird case where if it gets extended one more time, I stay on the same income based repayment plan I've been on since before the original pause and that would be beneficial, but if they resume here, I have to get onto a new repayment plan before October as I changed my filing status since wife quit her job and we have a kid deduction now.

So like, just let me know for certain please because there's a fuck load of paper work incoming, and I doubt the gov can process all of it in 4 weeks if they truly wait until the final hour.

This is one of those things where I have two principles working against each other.

On one hand, those kids are dumb and got stupid degrees and likely could have paid them off already.

On the other, we have Ukraine 50 billion just to throw in the shitter. So why not just help out Americans then?

News worthy but just to clarify, this isn’t the pending decision we are waiting on for August on the pause and broad forgiveness. I believe there was another school that got forgiveness which was the largest on record. ITT tech was horrible. Completely horrifying people had debt from that place.

So what happened with ITT Tech? I feel like I have no clue on understanding that situation

Trying to get that announcement as close to October Midterms as possible?

I'm in a weird case where if it gets extended one more time, I stay on the same income based repayment plan I've been on since before the original pause and that would be beneficial, but if they resume here, I have to get onto a new repayment plan before October as I changed my filing status since wife quit her job and we have a kid deduction now.

So like, just let me know for certain please because there's a fuck load of paper work incoming, and I doubt the gov can process all of it in 4 weeks if they truly wait until the final hour.

Could be. My other guess would be some of what they are attempting to do isn’t easy in terms of implementation and also, if done poorly, could be challenged and lost in court. One example is the loan servicers don’t have income information from the IRS to determine which accounts to apply the forgiveness to.

Is it $10,000 in principal or interest?

I dont think we know anything for certain. The 10k is speculated as the most likely situation but it isn’t announced yet. I’d assume though it would be on the principal.

So what happened with ITT Tech? I feel like I have no clue on understanding that situation

I don’t have all the details but I just remember it being a very bad for profit college that eventually was shut down. Looks like a degree there isn’t recognized by the department of education so those who went suffered the consequences of the school being a mess. Wiki shows it was eventually shut down for predatory practices in getting low income people on very high student loans to attend the college. My guess is they found a bunch of schemes to max the loan amounts while also evidence of them putting nothing into making the degree have any worth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITT_Technical_Institute

But, will that turn blue collar voters away?

If they are really leftists or anti GOP they will get over it. Also the crux reason for people against it is jealousy. Upset they foolishly paid back the loan or that they didnt go to school and those who did essentially get 10k for free.

Could be. My other guess would be some of what they are attempting to do isn’t easy in terms of implementation and also, if done poorly, could be challenged and lost in court. One example is the loan servicers don’t have income information from the IRS to determine which accounts to apply the forgiveness to.

I dont think we know anything for certain. The 10k is speculated as the most likely situation but it isn’t announced yet. I’d assume though it would be on the principal.
Assuming the right thing and what the government actually does is risky business. My guess is they don’t differentiate and all they did was give lenders interest up front and barely touched principal. Thus not solving a fucking thing. Just like everything else the government touches. It gets fucked up and we waste tax payer money propping up industries that should fail.

Back