Stuck On SOHP

So i read every single response...and every keith wassung article, including the ones not on sohp just because i was interested...but truthfully the coolest thing is that you lifted weights with david fucking robinson

the fuckin admiral! haha thats great

I go to an extremely small crappyish gym, so we dont even have a damn power rack, otherwise those push presses you were talking about.......

maybe changing my stance some will help with some push presses and some dumbell work too

core wise my favorite to do is russian barbell twists i think they are called...ive never done overhead squats before....

One more question:

Have any of you found any direct shoulder work (raises, etc.) to have any decent carryover to pressing. I hate doing raises and whatnot, but if it will help my press, I will learn to love them.

One more question:

Have any of you found any direct shoulder work (raises, etc.) to have any decent carryover to pressing. I hate doing raises and whatnot, but if it will help my press, I will learn to love them.

I believe they could help.

I stopped OHP'ing for about 6 weeks and switched up to some exercises that would be considered more "bodybuilding" style such as the Arnold Press and included some rear delt raises/lateral raises. I also added in a DE day for the OHP and used about 55% of my 1RM and later in the week I'd do some overload training and try a load equal/up to ~110% and do about 50% of the ROM off the pins in a rack (lift explosively, lower with a 5-6 sec eccentric). Every other week I'd switch up the half ROM in the rack to the Push Press.

I also switched up my normal flat bench pressing to incline pressing and did them with dumbbells instead of a barbell for the last 4 weeks of the cycle. This helped quite a bit since I've always been weak on the incline movements.

My shoulders gained some mass and I put about 15lbs on my OHP and broke through my sticking point at the end of those 6 weeks and have been progressing slowly but surely since then. I switched up quite a few things in my program so any one thing could be pointed out and be the result of my progression, but I think anything is worth a try if you're stuck and aren't going anywhere.

Back