Stubborn fat

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Lustercross, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Lustercross

Lustercross Brown Belt

Hey guys I got a question. I recently starting dieting from 170 to 160 and I reached my goal this morning.

I also am doing starting strength and eating enough protein so it was definitely mostly fat loss with minimal muscle loss.

The problem is that I definitely got leaner but it seems that it happened everywhere except my lower stomach, lower back, and glutes.

I have readjusted my goals and now I'm going to diet down to 150. My question is, do I have to do anything specific to make sure the stubborn fat is going down or do I just stick to what I'm already doing? Does the body eventually start burning stubborn fat if I keep dieting down?

2. RafailNadull

RafailNadull Brown Belt

Sadly, genetics plays a large role here. It's going to be very hard to get rid of the unaesthetic stomach fat if you are already very slim elsewhere and it's still there.

Keeping a deficit is the only thing you can do, other than sufficient protein and strength training.

3. Lustercross

Lustercross Brown Belt

Ok man thanks. Well I'm going to keep dieting down to 150 and I'm just going to have to hope that some of it burns off.

4. Pathogenic

Pathogenic Wo Cao Ni Ma

There are methods to get rid of stubborn fat, but they're difficult to accomplish, and odds are your stubborn fat isn't what I'd consider to be stubborn fat. Stubborn fat is the kind of fat that stays on even when you're shredded almost everywhere else. I used to think that I had stubborn fat on my abs, but, after lots of dieting experience, I realized that my 'stubborn fat' at that time was merely a case of me being too stubborn to realize that I was fat. The pictures don't lie, either; I used to think I was at 8% when I was actually at 16%.

The reasons for this are actually problems with both my brain's recognition of the way my body looked, and my great trust in inaccurate methods of body fat measurement. Most ways that people use to measure body fat are extremely flawed and inaccurate, and even skinfold calipers (the best way to measure fat outside of DEXA or hydrostatic weighing imo) can be off by quite a bit. My calipers at that time told me I was at 8%, and I just didn't realize it.

Keep at it, and, if you get really frustrated because you have striated glutes and a pot belly, then we can definitely talk about it. If you already think you're at that point, you can always provide some evidence via pictures on sites like bodyrecomposition.com under the body fat estimation thread. If it ends up being the case that your fat is truly stubborn, then come back and we can definitely help you out. Your body loses fat preferentially, so your abs may be the last thing to show on a normal diet, but that's pretty common.

5. Lustercross

Lustercross Brown Belt

Awesome man, thanks for the link. I'm going to check that link out and come back here again if I still have questions.