Struve's performances

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by J Danger, Aug 2, 2015.

1. J Danger

J Danger Armed with a Mind

Are frustrating.

Every time this dude fights I always think he's finally going to put together.

And he doesn't.

Yeah he wins sometimes, but not like he should.

Doesn't use his range, his jab- his front kick is basically that, and just lets people walk in close and clinch and hit him. Round 3 showed what he could be capable of with his range but that was it. Shit is frustrating.

2. TheHotness

TheHotness OG

He carried nog the entire fight.

3. WhitebeltXL

WhitebeltXL Black Belt

Yeah he's one of my favourite fighters, I'm hoping he'll turn into a contender, he has had a bad few years with the heart condition. It's surprising he's back at all.

4. BuffaloEmperor

BuffaloEmperor Brown Belt

Imo Struve didn't seem to be in the best shape either. He was shot after the 1st round. The big guy needs to establish his jab in round 1 and use his kicks. 85 inch reach and 7 feet tall should not get clocked like he does. Way too hit table . But TS your right in round 3 he finally established the jab , for the most part and got his kicks working.

5. kenCs

kenCs Couches, couches, couches which one should I pick? Banned

Its like in the third round he knew he could use his reach.

6. serr

serr Green Belt

People say Struve is proof that reach isn't a huge advantage. Struve is proof that you can have terrible skill and still be a top fighter in the UFC.

7. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

no he is not

8. christer

christer Brown Belt

Something I think people aren't considering is that being built like him isn't only an advantage(though in many ways it certainly is).
    Bigger guys tend to be slower and less coordinated. I'm not saying Struve is badly coordinated and slow, but he might not have such an easy time moving around as some of the smaller heavyweights.

What I didn't like about his fight vs Big Nog is how much he got hit. He is a young guy and has already taken a lot of punishment.

9. MMAfan2k9

MMAfan2k9 Yellow Belt

I know what your sayimg. It was annoying to watch. I was screaming for him to use his jab and smash nog with some step in knees, nog was a sitting duck.

On a side note i though soa was a big let down. What a waste of talent that guy is.

10. Koro_11

Koro_11 Silver Belt

Struve is fringe top 10, a bit better than a washed up Nog, as the fight showed, but gets ruined by almost every top 10 HW.

Have him fight Big Foot next, that's a decent fight.

11. CoreCanyon

CoreCanyon Geez, lots of new people.

He's slow. You can say that. He does, however, have decent coordination. I think he abandons his reach advantage because he isn't very efficient (maybe comfortable is a better word) with his jab.

Reach is only effective when you have the athleticism to accompany it. It's a large part, imo, to Jon Jones or Connor McGregor'success.

12. christer

christer Brown Belt

I agree.

Struve looks to have decent coordination, but I was thinking it is easy for other people to say he is frustrating to watch because he should fight taller, like it is easy.
    We have no idea what it feels like in training to be Struve.

I think this fight was a better performance than some of his earlier ones.
    Kicks looked promising. I think comfortable is the right word... If he was more comfortable with his jab and his kicks, throwing them out with conviction, it would make him dangerous.
    Maybe then also improving even more since when you are comfortable with something, you do it more, even in sparring. When it flows naturally it feels like second nature instead of robotic.

It would be fun to see a drastically improved Struve. Not too far fetched to think it might happen. Sometimes you make small improvements and then suddenly it all comes together.
    He isn't the athlete Jon Jones is, but if he could get the kicks and jabs working, he can knock people out with not much effort when they are trying to come in.
    Hard to fight like K1 Schilt in an MMA fight though.

13. Metusalemi

Metusalemi Black Belt

I agree with everything TS said, but I still I think Struve will be unstoppable when he hits his peak after turning 30. I want to believe!

14. J Danger

J Danger Armed with a Mind

I feel like this every time he fights and then I'm like okay, next fight maybe lol

15. TFanatic

TFanatic Silver Belt

Struve will be retired at 30 at his rate.

16. MightyMorphing

MightyMorphing Orange Belt

To be fair most men Struve's size aren't very athletic or coordinated. Plenty of giants make the NBA who are slow and unathletic but are able to make up their deficiencies with their size. They won't be top or elite players (and neither is Struve a top or elite fighter), but they'll be starters on a team. Overall I agree that MMA has a shallow talent pool, but in this case Struve isn't a great example. And he has skill, it's his fight IQ that needs more work than anything.

17. RollingStop

RollingStop Orange Belt

Struve finally figured out how to jab at the end of round 3 against Big Nog.

Let's see how this plays out in future fights.

18. LHWBelt

LHWBelt Silver Belt

He looked pretty good in round 3 but yeah he didn't look that impressive considering Nog is sooooo slow. He's still a dangerous guy though, 7 feet tall and has some decent strikes.

19. rancid

rancid Brown Belt

he was sick...

20. Bookmark

Bookmark Blue Belt

he needs to focus on his kicking game. some of his leg kicks were brutal and the front kick up the middle was nice.

if he can keep working on his jab and movement in addition to this he can do well.

he still looks bad when his opponent gets inside and pressures him.