Struve, Nog, Bigfoot - at what point do the UFC say 'no mas'?

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Struve has a heart problem and had a panic attack last time he tried to fight.
Last 2 fights: Knocked out by Overeem, knocked out by Hunt.

One of Nog's eyes doesn't work, he's nearly 40, and has a history of injuries to his hips, elbows, and knees, not to mention a broken arm in recent years.
Last 2 fights: Knocked cold by Nelson, subbed by Werdum

Bigfoot has a tumor on his pituitary gland, is 36 this year, and has basically looked unable to compete since they outlawed TRT.
Last 2 fights: KO'd in 1 round by Arlovski, KO'd in 1 round by Mir

At one point, allowing guys like this to fight is going to backfire badly on the UFC, as they really shouldn't still be getting cleared to fight in a cage. I wish the UFC would start some sort of pension plan for fighters, so they accumulate money while they fight and then get it as a lump sum when they retire, as I worry that these guys are dragging themselves into battle because they fear the loss of income, but seriously, should a guy with a heart issue or a one-eyed 40 year old or a walking zombie with clear health issues really be competing?

I feel uneasy about these fights. Hopefully all get through tonight unscathed, and consider moving on in life. Nog is a stone-cold ATG, Bigfoot has had some of the standout wins of his era (Fedor, Overeem), and Struve will always be remembered as an action fighter of the UFC, who went out there to kill (Miocic) or be killed (Hunt). None of them can go any further in the sport now even if they do choose to stick around.

If only more guys went out like Munoz - he knew when to stop and he stopped, with real dignity and shrewdness. That was a gold moment in this sport. Hope these three guys take the gloves off after tonight's event and do likewise.

I honestly all of them except Struve should hang it up after tonight. Hell, if Struve gets KO'd then him too.

Bigfoot has a tumor on his pituitary gland, is 36 this year, and has basically looked unable to compete since they outlawed TRT.
Last 2 fights: KO'd in 1 round by Arlovski, KO'd in 1 round by Mir

Not to mention his leaking nipples.

When they've actually got some depth in the HW division. You think the likes of Shawn Jordan, Gonzaga and Derrick Lewis would be employed for so long in the UFC if they were in any other weight class?

I don't get it either. Big Nog, Struve, and Shogun are people I don't really even wanna see fight anymore. They have all taken too many beatings, and it isn't fun watching them knocked out, it is actually more sad than anything.......

I think there's a legit chance that the losers of Big Nog vs Struve and Lil Nog vs Shogun will retire, or be forced into retirment by Dana.

Bigfoot probably as well if he loses to Soa. He legit needs TRT.

When some new HW's worth a fuck show up.

Nog is a legend and should hang them up. Nothing else to prove, etc.

Bigfoot was a very good HW a while ago. Got starched with ease in his last couple but I wouldn't completely write him off yet.

Not sure about Struve really. Young in age but has taken a lot of punishment and has his medical conditions.

Last edited:
agreed. part of the problem is that these guys are too tough for their own good though. someone should have 'the talk' with all 3 of them, + shogun.

Bigfoot's problems are more about the 265lb limit than anything, but he is getting up there in years.

Struve does gave a heart condition, and has been KO'd more than his share of times, but is still younger, and if he up's his fight IQ, and fixes the leaks in his game, could still be relevant for awhile.

Nog flat out should retire. If his body were a car, it'd have about 300,000mi on it. Not to mention the possibility of brain damage from being in so many wars. I think the people around admire him too much to have an intervention.

Rogan should invite all 3 of them to his podcast. They're all much worse off than Schaub was as far as damage goes.

To be fair on Nog's part atleast I don't think he will have any money issue other than wanting more, looks like he has several gyms and other business things going on. Problem is if UFC says no more and cuts them they'll just go to bellator and people would be up in their arms as to why the UFC isnt treating legends with respect and blabla

Struve is gonna prove alot of people wrong tonight, I think we'll see a greatly improved Skyscraper. Gooo struuuuuuve!

Bigfoot's problems are more about the 265lb limit than anything, but he is getting up there in years.

You really think so?

I look at Bigfoot vs Hunt where Bigfoot had to cut down to 265, but did so and fought for 5 rounds like a giant iron-chinned kickboxing automaton, and then look at his horrible attempts to fight against Arlovski and Mir, and for me the difference is clear - pre and post TRT he is a completely different animal. He has always been bigger than 265 and has always cut, but it's only since the TRT ban that his physical attributes have declined so horribly.

Struve does gave a heart condition, and has been KO'd more than his share of times, but is still younger, and if he up's his fight IQ, and fixes the leaks in his game, could still be relevant for awhile.

Yeah but how many times should a guy with a heart condition be getting locked in a cage with the Overeems and Hunts of the world. I worry that he is being allowed to place himself in grave danger, when the more humane thing to do would be to refuse him that opportunity.

Nog flat out should retire. If his body were a car, it'd have about 300,000mi on it. Not to mention the possibility of brain damage from being in so many wars. I think the people around admire him too much to have an intervention.

Agree 100%.

To be fair on Nog's part atleast I don't think he will have any money issue other than wanting more, looks like he has several gyms and other business things going on. Problem is if UFC says no more and cuts them they'll just go to bellator and people would be up in their arms as to why the UFC isnt treating legends with respect and blabla

I agree... but if Struve has a panic attack in the cage or something worse, it's going to be little consolation that at least they didn't go to Bellator. Some things should be more important than petty competition between organizations you know?

Struve is gonna prove alot of people wrong tonight, I think we'll see a greatly improved Skyscraper. Gooo struuuuuuve!

I have little doubt that Struve will win tonight, but beating this version of Nogueira means next to nothing. I'd still have grave fears for Struve the first time he faces someone capable of hurting him.

Struve, Nog, Bigfoot - at what point do the UFC say 'no mas'?

Much, much later than they used to.

Too afraid of Bellator getting views with them.

Bet the unders in these fights. I'd be shocked to see either get out of the 1st rnd (but then again anything can happen!)

That's the athletic comission's job, not the promotion's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back