1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Struggling for ideas of what to eat

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Olir, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Olir

Olir Brown Belt

Anyone got any ideas of one-pot dishes involving meat and vegetables/stock etc. no pasta etc.

I'm getting a little tired of bunging my minced meat, or meat into vegetable stock with loads of vegetables, although I feel those meals are good for me.

I need some variation! I'm going to the supermarket tomorrow so I'll pick up stuff there if you can come up with some great one-pot low carb (except for vegetable) things to make.

I've looked at ALOT of recipes, they all involve crazy little stupid things like adding specific spices and herbs and all that kinda BS, I'd like to be able to use mainstream ingredients.

Thanks in advance chaps.

2. Blackice

Blackice Orange Belt

Adding spices and herbs is the best thing you can do to any of your dishes as far as I'm concerned. Who the hell wants to eat bland food? That's what boring is. Make stews and chilis and switch up the meats and veggies. There are tonnes of possibilities. Slow cookers are the best for this. Do a roast in there with veggies and make a gravy with the juice.

3. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

Herbs and spices are mainstream ingredients...

Get pork shoulders/butts, beef roasts, chickens, turkeys, etc, and crock pot or all-day bake them after covering them in various herbs and spices with flavors/aromas you like.

Pull/shred the meat, pick a crunchy vegetable (broccoli, peppers, etc), combine these in a bowl in desired proportions, done.

4. Gorack

Gorack Purple Belt

Steam fresh broccoli and/or green beans.

Cook and cut up some chicken breasts.

Mix them together and throw on some peanut pad thai sauce. Nuke it to warm up the sauce if you want.

Simple and delicious. I would just check the pad thai sauces and buy the one with the least sodium. (I do consider this a bit of a cheat btw.)

What I like to use that's quick and easy is our pressure cooker. Throw some pork chops in there with some sauerkraut or a roast with chopped up onions, carrots, garlic (potatoes if you want). It cooks in like 20 minutes.

I'm about to start experimenting with our slow cooker. Just found a cook book in the garage with a bunch of recipes I'm going to start trying.

5. Scut

Scut White Belt

I make this all the time, like a spaghetti and meat sauce, just without the pasta and carbs that come with it. Very filling and easily makes about 6 servings.

Grab a couple Jars of Pasta sauce (I use pasta sauce instead of tomato sauce because it's pre seasoned), whatever kind you like.

Put them in a big pot and mix in diced up tomatoes, red/green peppers, Onion, Spinach, Garlic (any vegetables you like, be creative).

Brown 2lbs ground turkey meat and then toss that into the pot and cook it all up together.

Add whatever spices you want to it.

It's really good for you and I find it delicious.

6. Envy

Envy Silver Belt

Fajitas, minus the tortillas.

Stir fry/beef and broccoli/moo goo gai pan/ chicken and mushrooms without rice.

Spaghetti and meat sauce, sans noodles.

7. hardheart

hardheart Brown Belt

I personally like stir fry/fajitas.

Cut up some bell peppers, some white onions, get some snap peas, some protein of your choice, some olive or peanut oil, throw it in to a deep pan, cook on medium until the peppers start to blacken (pre-cook or "brown" the meat)

Add rice, or wrap it, or just toss it in a bowl. Booyah, TASTY health dish dat right there.

Edit: You can add aspargrass and other veggies additionally, those are just the ones I use commonly here.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  8. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

throwing your meat into a soup is a good way to change things up. plus it can turn that dry chicken or steak into something more tender and juicy

9. 10thpjj

10thpjj Green Belt

check out the recipes thread in the FAQ. Some good stuff in there. Another place I go is Marks daily apple.

10. skreenaim

skreenaim White Belt

Sneaking around the diet logs is a good way to learn to cook....