StrongLifts 5

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Bunique4life05, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Bunique4life05

Bunique4life05 White Belt

StrongLifts 5

2. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

That's ok but have you checked the FAQ here for programs? Such as the 2 day split offered in the FAQ? And what are your goals? Are you eventually going to do more BJJ or add in some Muay Thai? Or are you ok with a 2/3x a week strength program?

I also recommend getting SS (Starting Strength) and doing that program as well. I'll link to the wiki to give you an idea of how its set up.

The Starting Strength Novice/Beginner Programs - Starting Strength Wiki

3. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Do you want to stay around 150 because of the weight class you compete in?

4. Bunique4life05

SS what's wrong with doing just the program I listed?
    I really can only stick with two times a week for strength training because my tight schedule.(SCHOOL/WORK)
    Yes I want to stay around 155 and no I don't plan on doing any other martial arts. Probably every summer off from school I will take a week of vacation and go to BJJ everyday. I doubt I will do any weight training of risk over training as well as need keep some R/R time for myself.

5. Jimboh

Jimboh White Belt

Stronglifts is basically Starting Strength with 5x5 and no power cleans. It's a good program and you'll probably see good gains on any beginner program but I'd recommend Starting Strength especially since you'll be training on off days with BJJ. 3 sets of 5 will be easier for you to recover from.

6. Bunique4life05

I don't compete in anything now but hope in down line to compete in bjj/ grappling contests. I just started BJJ and also never done grappling in my life. I did taekwondo as kid for a long time then later in life a few months in aikido. So pretty much out of 23 years I just been school and work not active anything else. I know I have long way to go.

I am very out shape even those many would say I am skinny. But I plan to get a better diet and start this new weight training program. My main focus is better health and physic as well get my body in shape for BJJ. My instructor says I have good instincts and I am a scrappy fighter. Those before even sparing the warm up takes alot out of me. Which carries over into sparing it just puts to much mental strain on my mind. Which translates in lack of focus and awareness. That kills me in sparing but more importantly technique.

7. Bunique4life05

Thanks for the advice I will check it out and compare. I do have 4 or five month in another weight training program it was a lot of isolation. I stop because went on week vacation but also I just hit a wall because of fatigue as well as very poor diet. Which I plan to change that in either program I choose.

8. PWR1982

PWR1982 Green Belt

Are you planning to start doing all the exercises with bar only, and add 5lbs to each every session? I don't know if it's just me, but I think that's pretty much useless. I would maybe do that with something like power cleans (which aren't even in stronglifts 5x5), but with the rest, I think it's a waste of time.

9. James Fuller

James Fuller Amateur Fighter

Yeah isolation programs are pretty worthless forfunctional strength and bjj, I should know! But don't worry being skinny does not mean ur conditioning should be better than anyone elses at this point. Know a lot of fat guys with great hr's and generally top notch conditioning.

10. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

I think stronglifts 5x5 is a pretty decent novice program. If you decide to do stronglifts and not SS, I would still recommend buying the SS book. I thought I was doing all the lifts correctly until I read The Book. It is definitely a worthwhile investment.

11. Baconator69**

Baconator69** Banned Banned

Not a good program if you want to stay at the same weight. You WILL gain muscle mass doing a 5x5.

12. Bunique4life05

Well I plan to do what ever the program suggests. Yeah its said to only and five pounds which I think is fine because I familiar with most the exercise. When I use to do the bodybuilding work out and adding 5 pounds will make a difference if you doing 25 reps with the attempt to do perfect form every single time. I have notice it is easier to push out sloppy reps but far more beneficial even when you can only do half same reps but in perfect form. I think the 5 pounds is not anything you will think about when doing but I think your body will know you add some more weight and will adapt better to it. Rather than trying to say but 15 to 30 because you will easily stress your body and stall at the weight and probably go back. Which I have done myself. I think its all about a little goes a long way. Rather than the go big or go home because your probably be going home.

13. Bunique4life05

I do to. I was just trying to state vice versa that I am skinny but can be out shape.

14. Bunique4life05

Does the stronglifts not show you the right technique?

15. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

I have no idea. But I can tell you fairly confidently that SS is more in-depth and overall a better investment than the Stronglifts book.

Also, I think that past some point, "correct" is a bit subjective. There are some basic guidelines that most people can agree on, but stronglifts may tell you something different than DeFranco, who will also give you different advice than Rippeotoe, who might have slightly different squatting guidelines than Bill Starr.

16. Bunique4life05

Thanks for the advice.