Strong Lifts 5x5 for This Type of Body?

mushishi

A is a, a is a, should I save her?
@Silver
Reaction score
Just started Strong Lifts 5x5 for the new year. Last year I weighed about 195 and just did random lifts and watched diet. I lost 10 lbs and my body tone improved. I got the flu at the end of the year and lost another 5 lbs. lol

Now I'm about 180 and want to stay around there or down to 175. I'm 5'10".

My body currently looks like the before pic:
amazing-transformation.jpg

I want to end up like this:
cover-model-workout-book-11052012-de.jpg
dongjun1.jpg

I don't want to get big or bulk up; I want to get toned, but with functional strength. Would Strong Lifts work for my goal?

For that body type I would recommend harbouring an eating disorder (or at the very least a severe caloric deficit) and a daily regiment of DB flyes and side bends.

dongjun1.jpg

that looks like a thai fighter as imagined by a gay fashion designer.

ITT: Troll OP poses as a guy but then prematurely shows her hand and reveals her identity as a woman with:
I don't want to get big or bulk up; I want to get toned

lol I'm an ectomorph. Most of the guys lifting heavy at the gym all look like endomorphs. I don't want to get big. Does that make me a troll?

Back when I was in college, my body looked like the dudes with my ideal body type. I ate any and everything and lifted about 3x a week, so I know my goal isn't way out of reach. I see lifting huge numbers kind of like belts in TMA: it may impress others, but they don't mean much to me. My goal isn't to bench teh 265 and squat teh 450; I don't want to look like the dudes in strong man competitions. I don't have the frame for it. I want to add strengh and some muscle mass while losing fat without getting huge. Is that frowned upon here?

lol I'm an ectomorph. Most of the guys lifting heavy at the gym all look like endomorphs. I don't want to get big. Does that make me a troll?

Back when I was in college, my body looked like the dudes with my ideal body type. I ate any and everything and lifted about 3x a week, so I know my goal isn't way out of reach. I see lifting huge numbers kind of like belts in TMA: it may impress others, but they don't mean much to me. My goal isn't to bench teh 265 and squat teh 450; I don't want to look like the dudes in strong man competitions. I don't have the frame for it. I want to add strengh and some muscle mass while losing fat without getting huge. Is that frowned upon here?

This is a strength and conditioning forum - not a shelter for those who fancy the look of a malnourished cabana boy pre-money shot. Ones who are more focused on their physiques (or, in this case, lack of) would find more suitable refuge in a bodybuilding or anorexia support forum.

You are worthy of a troll designation as your post is the equivalent of sauntering into an atheism forum and jabbing, "So why don't you believe in God, bros?"

wish i could help you bro, but unfortunately my body looks like this...
giphy.gif

So you admit you look like a twink but instead of trying to cure it by moving bigass weight, you wanna embrace your "ecto" frame? Boy did you come to the wrong place.

You won't get big unless you deliberately eat @ a surplus. & a lot of how you look will be determined by your genetics (bone structure, where you tend to store fat etc).

Eating @ roughly maintenance, lifting and doing some kind of cardio will move you toward your goal.

OP, you've just opened up a can of worm with this thread. Get your flame shield ready. Godspeed.

So you admit you look like a twink but instead of trying to cure it by moving bigass weight, you wanna embrace your "ecto" frame? Boy did you come to the wrong place.

News flash: The majority of Asian men look like "twinks;" it's our body type, not a disease that needs to be cured. Who's embracing an ecto frame? I'm lifting, losing weight, and getting into shape. I feel better than I have in years. My feet don't hurt from carrying excess weight. I don't feel sluggish throughout the day and my energy levels are getting higher. Even if I wanted to move bigass weight, I can't. Years of wrestling and judo jacked up my wrists, knees, and shoulders. When doing squats with just the bar, I can't get my quads parallel with the ground without my knees hurting. I can't deadlift 155 lbs. without my wrist popping out on me and hurting for weeks afterwards. My body has its limitations due to genetics and the stress I put on it throughout the years, but I'm working with it the best I can.

Now if your goal is to lift heavy weights, that's cool with me. Maybe you can have some respect for someone with different fitness goals.

You won't get big unless you deliberately eat @ a surplus. & a lot of how you look will be determined by your genetics (bone structure, where you tend to store fat etc).

Eating @ roughly maintenance, lifting and doing some kind of cardio will move you toward your goal.

Thanks. Will stick with the 5x5 and see how it goes.

News flash: The majority of Asian men look like "twinks;" it's our body type, not a disease that needs to be cured. Who's embracing an ecto frame? I'm lifting, losing weight, and getting into shape. I feel better than I have in years. My feet don't hurt from carrying excess weight. I don't feel sluggish throughout the day and my energy levels are getting higher. Even if I wanted to move bigass weight, I can't. Years of wrestling and judo jacked up my wrists, knees, and shoulders. When doing squats with just the bar, I can't get my quads parallel with the ground without my knees hurting. I can't deadlift 155 lbs. without my wrist popping out on me and hurting for weeks afterwards. My body has its limitations due to genetics and the stress I put on it throughout the years, but I'm working with it the best I can.

Now if your goal is to lift heavy weights, that's cool with me. Maybe you can have some respect for someone with different fitness goals.

Just FYI, the ecto/meso/endo thing has generally been discredited:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotype_and_constitutional_psychology

As for being Asian, well, I have lived, worked and gone to gyms in Asia for the last 13 years, and I have seen plenty of big Asian guys. At least from the waist up- people here seem to skip leg day a lot, just like everyone else.

If you have a less muscular frame than others, it's probably not because you are Asian or because you are an "Ectomorph". It is probably just because over the course of your life you ate comparatively little and you did relatively little of the kinds of exercise that promote muscular growth.

That being said, why do you care why you have comparatively little muscle? If you don't want it, and you think your body can't handle the work needed to acquire it, that's all that really matters. The reason you ended up with the frame you have is just a theoretical question.

Anyway, the reason for lifting heavy weights for an athlete is usually to increase power/explosiveness. Actually gaining muscle usually isn't too desirable because of weight classes or ideal proportions and weights for certain types of sports. We tend to give people a hard time because a lot of people who turn up here are delusional about their weight and body composition- "I am 6"1 and 160lbs, with a muscular frame, and I am looking at cutting" sort of thing. So for quite a few people who turn up here lifting weights is an important part of recomposition/moving towards more optimal size, weight etc.

All these things being said, I will try to answer your question:

Stronglifts isn't going to be a great programme for you because it is meant to be done progressively (adding 5/10lbs a time). It will take you above the level where you are experiencing pain. To get really strong, you would need to progress quite far beyond that level for some time, and that's evidently not really practical.

As for being "functional" or not, people here don't like the term because it is associated with people doing incline dumbbell bench press with 2lb dumbbells on Bosu balls. And also it's used as a term to make out that real strength training doesn't have any part in athletic development. There is a legitimate concept in there, though- it's the concept of being able to execute the movements of your sport (or profession or whatever) with great force or power. And as far as that goes.. it's possible to execute movements with force or power without lifting weights, it's just that most people will be able to execute them even more strongly or powerfully with some correctly applied strength training. But stronglifts capped at a 150lb deadlift will probably not make any difference.

As for being "toned", well, it will probably increase your muscle tone (passive muscular activation) and capped at those weights you are not going to get much bigger if at all. So who knows, maybe you will achieve your desired aesthetic. Although probably pretty much any reasonably vigorous physical activity will have more or less the same results.

Personally, if I was in your situation, though, I would focus on doing what I had to do to be able to lift properly again. I don't know what you have been though, but there are people on this board who have come back from multiple very serious injuries, sometimes requiring years of recovery, so hopefully it would be possible. Then you can lift properly, and get strong. If you don't want to get bigger, you just don't eat a calorie surplus.

Read and digest what Jaunty has written above.

If your body is that screwed fixing it as much as you can should be your priority.

Over and above that, your goals can be achieved using a number of approaches, so train in the way you enjoy the most and will keep you motivated in the long term; for many people seeing their lifting numbers go up over time gives them that motivation. Diet is also key for optimal body composition.

Your goals as you've outlined them could also be achieved by doing P90X/Rushfit; whatever floats your boat.

(N.B. My knees are screwed from football (soccer) and martial arts as a kid; heavy squats are the thing that has helped them the most.)

Genetics, asian, judo, wrists, ectomorph. Boo hoo. There are always a million excuses not to do something.

5_2_111.gif

Stop. Just stop. Self-deprecation and playing the victim game at the pity party will get you nowhere. Put that card back in the deck. Weight on the bar. Move it from Point A to Point B. This isn't rocket science.

WendlerSquats.jpg

ahhaha You guys are coming at me hard! lol

That's exactly what I don't want to look like. :icon_lol:

As Arnold would say: Don't worry, you never will.

From the sounds of it, there's no way in hell you're capable of putting in the amount of time and effort to make gains like that. And as I tell every girl I've worked with at the gym "It's not like that happens accidentally. If you do somehow miraculously approach a body type you're uncomfortable with, just back off on the lifting. Nothing is compelling you to continue."

And this is a thread for increasing performance in a martial art(s), not a site that gives a fuck what you want to look like. You're a better fighter when bigger, stronger, faster, and carrying around no excess bodyfat. That's the kind of goals we promote and give advice for.

I suggest bodybuilding.com for all of your bodybuilding needs.

Back