Striking workout for beginners

aweiner769

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes i have read the FAQ and i know that its not preferable to train at home but i dont have the money or the means of transportation to go to a legit training gym.
That being said i was wondering if anyone had any good workouts to practice striking technique. heavybag workouts, shadow boxing, all that. i think i should be able to get to a heavy bag somewhere on campus but aside from that theres just weights and stuff and thats for the strength forum. so any links or ideas or anything on striking training routines will be helpful
thanks

You say you can "get to a heavy bag somewhere on campus" so I assume you're in college?

If that's the case look into clubs your school might offer or post something on the campus message boards as far as "looking for someone to train boxing/striking with" or something like that.

Teaching yourself isn't really the best idea. You can get youself in shape and such but to learn proper striking with proper stances and movement and such really takes an experienced eye to help you work it out imo.

Otherwise, maybe search Jeff Joslin and Sinister's posts on this forum. Sinister aka King Kabuki has posted a lot of great stuff on striking on here. Search his name and you'll find a wealth of info. Jeff Joslin has his own sight with a lot of great stuff. (Check out Jeff's article on "Developing the Knockout Punch")

KO Punch FREE Report MMA Technique, MMA Training, and Mixed Martial Arts Blog of Jeff "The Inferno" Joslin

Drop out of school immediately and use the school money for a good gym :p

Last edited:
Yes i have read the FAQ and i know that its not preferable to train at home but i dont have the money or the means of transportation to go to a legit training gym.
That being said i was wondering if anyone had any good workouts to practice striking technique. heavybag workouts, shadow boxing, all that. i think i should be able to get to a heavy bag somewhere on campus but aside from that theres just weights and stuff and thats for the strength forum. so any links or ideas or anything on striking training routines will be helpful
thanks

If your at a university or junior college campus, see if they offer a class. If not, see if you can post something on one of the student bulletin boards, or E-Bulletins and inquire if there is anybody there with experience in boxing or otherwise who would be willing to workout with you. If you got a heavy bag on campus chances are someone there knows how to use it correctly, just find them and ask them for some guidance! Lots of guys appreciate having a workout partner and im sure if you try hard enough you can find someone there on campus to help get ya started. I paid for most my books and supplies in Junior college by teaching boxing lessons. Just posted an add on the student bulletin and that was that, i would teach a few days a week in the AM before class and a day or two after class. I think I only charged 20$ a month for small group lessons, but I had access to all the equipment and space I needed from the school. By the end of my second year at that JC I had 15-20 people per class.......... Just be resourceful and seek someone out. Chances are you will find somebody in pretty short order.

I go to a very small nerdy engineering and science university and I was able to find people interested in boxing/kickboxing and grappling.

I mostly train at gym 70 miles away. yeah i drive a 150 mile round trip 3 days a week to train at a top gym. On tuesdays and thursdays the unviersity group ( about 8-10) trains.

I just spammed campus with flyers looking for people interested and the group started up

I agree, don't listen to the FAQ. Sometimes we just don't have the money to afford $100+ gym fees.

I did this for a year before my first MMA class. It was enough to get me promoted to sparring class the very next day.

-Bas Rutten workout tapes. Just google them. You can use it to build up your cardio and build muscle memory.
-Get books from the library. Amazon has books for $10-$20.
-Find a friend to do some light sparring. Focus more on technique than knocking each others head off. You don't even have to buy gear if you do this right.
-Watch youtube for tutorials. A very underrated tool.
-Watch boxers/K1/Muay Thai fighters for standup. Avoid 90% of MMA fighters.
-Read Sherdog and other Boxing training forums everyday. I learn something almost every time I visit.

Last edited:
Back