"Striking UFC Gold"

Ridian

Lifelong Combat Sports Fan
@purple
Reaction score
Cool article in the Dec2012/Jan2013 issue of UFC 360.

Talks about all the first champs in each division and the actual belt itself. Here's the basics from the article-

First Tournament Champion- Royce Gracie- Nov 12, 1993, Denver Colorado
First Superfight Champion- Ken Shamrock- Jul 14, 1995, Casper Wyoming
First Flyweight Champion- Demetriois Johnson- Sept 22, 2012, Toronto Canada
First Bantamweight Champion- Dominick Cruz- Dec 16, 2010, Glendale Arizona
First Featherweight Champion- Jose Aldo- Sept 30, 2010, Broomfield Colorado
First Lightweight Champion- Jens Pulver- Feb 23, 2001, Atlantic City NJ
First Welterweight Champion- Pat Militech- Oct 16, 1998, S

Last edited:
Before 48 I would say that Pat Miletich would have the most belts, with 5 championship wins. I could totally be wrong, but that is the first person I thought of off the top of my head.

Hughes actually has 6 before 48, and then his regaining the belt after the BJ loss would give him a belt, so I would say he has the most physical belts. Hughes would have 7 if my understanding of how you get belts is correct.

Randy would have 8 (including his interim belt). He has six belts before 48, then he lost the belt to Vitor, and gained it back, which I think would give him a new belt having technically lost the belt before. Then he lost the LHW belt, and won the HW belt, thereby getting a new belt there. This is not including the UFC 13 tourny

Last edited:
If I am correct, Randy had six title before UFC 48.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

Edit. I think Hughes and Tito also had 6, before UFC 48.

If I am correct, Randy had six title before UFC 48.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

Edit. I think Hughes and Tito also had 6, before UFC 48.

I think it was 8 for Randy, or 9 if you count the interim LHW win over Chuck.

Wonder why they stopped that

Until UFC 48- Champions received a new belt for each title defense.

Interesting. I was under the impression they were still giving out new belts for each defense?

Interesting. I was under the impression they were still giving out new belts for each defense?

yeah, me too

this means that after UFC 48 any former champion does'nt own a UFC belt?

how does this works with interim belts?

This means that up until 48 you got another physical belt for each defense as now since 48 you don't, you simply keep the belt you already have.

My guess is that you get a single belt to keep and that's it regardless of how many defenses.

What I am not sure of is when you lose do they take your actual belt to give to the other guy or do they give him a new one

I heard the champ gets to keep one at their house and the other is just for show

Didnt GsP get a new belt aftere baeting Condit and gave it away

Just going off what ths article says

Back