Striking stats Jones - DC disparity

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Gregoire1, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота

Explain me please one thing. During the fight I saw two times official UFC strike counting.

First, after 3 rounds according translation DC was ahead: 81/178 landed vs 81/132 for Jones.

Second time, 3:25 remaining in the 5th, Jones had 109/172 and DC - 98/207.

Now, we go to fightmetrics, UFC, espn stats after fight (they all are equal) and we can see:

after 3 rounds

Significant strikes: Dc - 51/141, Jones - 65/ 134 total strikes: DC - 63/156, Jones - 77/147

After 5 rounds

Sig. strikes: DC - 58/165, Jones - 92/178. total strikes: DC - 78/191, Jones - 126/215

How could you explained it? What was the numbers during the translation?

2. NoContest

NoContest Brown Belt

Jones eyepoked the people counting the strikes

3. Silverstar17

Silverstar17 Red Belt

4. FC PRIDE

FC PRIDE Orange Belt

Came to write this, too quick for me!

5. olingobingo

olingobingo Orange Belt

Do not ever fully trust fightmetric or compubox.

6. HelloJapan

HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

He has the reach for it.

7. M Raid K

M Raid K Black Belt

8. INTERL0PER

INTERL0PER Brown Belt

9. Gregoire1

Gregoire1 дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота

It would be very interesting if you will elaborate,please... hard to believe.

10. M Raid K

M Raid K Black Belt

OK, I'll prepare all necessary data and post in there.

11. Ozze

Ozze Black Belt

I believe that it's just that when they re-watch the fight and they can pause and return they'll see things differently. It's just more easy and accurate to do it later, so that would explain the differences.

12. Melas Chasma

Melas Chasma Red Belt

Its still interesting how they always add a lot of strikes to Jones and take a lot of strikes away from his opponent.

13. Ozze

Ozze Black Belt

Yeah, don't know why it's better for Jones. I never compared these stats so I wouldn't know. Only other time I heard about this was in the Gus fight, but since people always bitch about Jones I didn't read too much into it.

Will wait for the detailed explanation of M Raid K.

14. machidafan99

machidafan99 Silver Belt

Hahahahahaha

15. M Raid K

M Raid K Black Belt

Okay, as requested, here is a detailed transcription of what was shown during the fight in comparison to current Fightmetric statistics.

Goldberg: "Statistically, he [Gustafsson] has the lead" - 2 minutes into rd 4
    Fightmetric: for 4 rounds* Gustafsson landed 110 sig str, Jones landed 86 sig str, so Fightmetric is likely right.

Goldberg: "[Jones has] kicking advantage. But in overall strikes it's Gustafsson" - 2:10 into rd 4
    Fightmetric: see previous line; for the whole fight Jones landed 53 leg kicks against 14 for Gus, so Fightmetric is likely right

Goldberg: "Over 120 significant strikes landed by the challenger [i. e. Gustafsson]" - 2:30 into rd 4
    Fightmetric: for 4 rounds Gustafsson landed 110 sig str, 2:30 into rd 4 it would have been something like 100. So Fightmetric number are lowered here.

Goldberg: "Head strikes landed: Jones - 18, Gustafsson - 88" - 3:46 into rd 4
    Fightmetric: Gus landed 46 head strikes for 4 rounds. Once again, Fightmetric numbers are notoriously lower than those shown during the fight, like twice lower. But there's also a new trend: Jones landed 38 head strikes for 4 rounds, higher than shown during the fight. So not only someone decreased Gustafsson's numbers, but someone increased Jones' numbers as well.

Goldberg: "[Gustafsson] landed nearly 200 significant strikes" - immediately after rd 5
    Fightmetric: Gustafsson landed 110 of 288 sig str. You see, twice lower again.

Addition: a screenshot of "Head strikes" graph:
    [​IMG]

So as we see, the numbers given during the fight are very different from current Fightmetric numbers. But they are, in fact, matched very well with numbers shown in this article. 191 of 278 sig str can be absolutely clarified at "nearly 200 sig str".

You may contradict that Fightmetric doesn't use the UFC data and provides original scoring of all strikes. But with any method 191 sig. str. can't turn into 134, just no chance.

/* "For 4 rounds" means that data were collected after the round ended, so I do a little correction (only mentally) to match it with the time when the data were shown.

(P. S. It was the fourth round in which data were shown, not the third. My bad)

16. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

I don't see why they would tamper the stats to favor Jones. 99.99% of the viewers don't care for those stats, at least when the fight has ended.

The ones that do care are hardcore fans or journalists, and tampering the stats would just make them seem suspect while not really gaining anything.

17. They flash inaccurate numbers during the PPV...is normal

18. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

Yea hard for you to be exactly right during a live fight. Doesn't really matter to me I just watch the fights and decide who won.

19. mudrubble

mudrubble Silver Belt

He's too big for the division. He's bigger than HW. His coke makes him longer and with the PEDs, it's just a wrap.

What I want to know is what he does each day of his life, like a detailed itinerary. I figure I could look into that and, assuming he tracks his day in 30 minute increments, I'm sure I can find all manner of evidence of his not being a good guy.

I tried google, but I didn't find his detailed personal diary or itinerary. Crazy. What search do you guys use to get his justifications for his existence??

20. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Red Belt