Strikers with no ground game

Seriously, the fight made perfectly clear what a legit MMA fighter is (Gall) and what not (Nothcutt). I don't want to hate on Sage, I'm just saying how I see it.

McTapper

/thread

#GUERNICAbless

Part of me can't wait until he retires so people like you can talk about how much you miss him. Like everyone on here did a few months after Brock Lesnar retired.

Part of me can't wait until he retires so people like you can talk about how much you miss him. Like everyone on here did a few months after Brock Lesnar retired.
Come on, Guernica was trolling and I thought it was funny. You doubt that the Notorious is a striker with a sub-par ground game?

(You're talking about the first retirement I suppose, because who in the world misses Lesnar now? He cheated and poor Mark Hunt - a guy who dedicated his life to kickboxing and MMA - had to pay for it with a couple of years of his lifespan.)

I like Northcutt the fighter but absent is any adapt-or-die pressures that many fighters feed off of to put food on the table, pay bills and most importantly take their Kumiteness to the next level; the heart discussion is a legitimate one because I don't see by what he could create a psychology of survival, or how to say. Labrada and such, well-off family...

One of the most talented guys ever to set foot in the octagon (Baby Jay) was too living comfortably and a similar effect of lifestyle plagued him: laziness. His lack of incitement to day-in, day-out devote himself was offset by being a true prodigy...but most guys aren't working with what Penn had and therein lies Sage's problem, IMO. Why leave it all in the ring when there are so many avenues to eksplore?

Hedgehog-hair Sage has something but he need jump ship and focus 100% on living on the hedge...wah-waaaaaaah. He could drop university and the fight game in all seriousness today, I imagine, and make money the rest of his life - heaps of wealthy people would pay just to consult him on their diets and workouts.

Like they do this goof:

201501_1829_efbeh_sm.jpg

Come on, Guernica was trolling and I thought it was funny. You doubt that the Notorious is a striker with a sub-par ground game?

(You're talking about the first retirement I suppose, because who in the world misses Lesnar now? He cheated and poor Mark Hunt - a guy who dedicated his life to kickboxing and MMA - had to pay for it with a couple of years of his lifespan.)

Sub par by what standard? He got tapped by Nate Diaz. So did Jim Miller.

Everyone who knows anything about BJJ agreed that people blew the whole "Conor sucks on the ground" thing out of proportion after the Nate fight.

Is McGregor really so much worse on the ground than like Michael Johnson?

I posted the below blurb in another thread, it applies here too

Sages problems in the octagon are predicated solely on his training camp, homes needs to get away from Daddy and train with another camp whilest taking some time off maybe 6-12months before he takes another fight. The rumors of Mark Northcutt not allowing Sage to participate in hard sparring seems to have young Sage underprepared for fight night, dude seems lost once things don't go his way, especially when it hits the canvas.

I posted the below blurb in another thread, it applies here too

Sages problems in the octagon are predicated solely on his training camp, homes needs to get away from Daddy and train with another camp whilest taking some time off maybe 6-12months before he takes another fight. The rumors of Mark Northcutt not allowing Sage to participate in hard sparring seems to have young Sage underprepared for fight night, dude seems lost once things don't go his way, especially when it hits the canvas.

Agree with everything you said but is hard sparring a necessity? Some blokes like Bones, Cowboy and others have been saying otherwise, IIRC...

Sage has something but he's in the UFC too early in his career, IMO. He's got some basic things inside and outside the ring to figure out.

Agree with everything you said but is hard sparring a necessity? Some blokes like Bones, Cowboy and others have been saying otherwise, IIRC...

Sage has something but he's in the UFC too early in his career, IMO. He's got some basic things inside and outside the ring to figure out.
Agreed, when I say hard sparring I'm not meaning guys trying to KO each other, I meant more work on his ground game. Supposedly Mark thinks it's bad to lose in sparring, thus who do you think he's grappling with? The guys who he should and can learn from mistakes, or guys at his level or lower so he can seem competitive? I don't know, there was an interview with both Northcutts where it was suggested losing in the gym prepares you to lose in the octagon or some shit.

Back