Strikers vs Lesnar....

Brock is clearly not a competent striker, and as we all know Overeem is. which is why people believe Overeem can beat lesnar. Brock was getting lit up by a horrible striker, so no reason to believe that a good boxer or kickboxer can't take him apart.

I'm confused, are we talking striking only here? It seems like people aren't even factoring in takedown defense. You guys know the only reason Lesnar had to stay standing for any period of time with Carwin is because he had to respect his takedown defense? What has ever led any of you to believe that Overeem can stop a Brock takedown? That being said, I'm sure Brock echoes my sentiments, which is why he would probably throw one jab or cross on Overeem before taking him down. It's not like the guy is known for his god-like TD defense. To further emphasize, I'm pretty sure Overeem also realizes he is going to eat mat quickly versus Brock...so he will be hesitant and try to pick his shots. There goes a quick round 1 flurry. The same thing happened to Alves and Hardy versus GSP. When you've got a takedown monster like that on your hands, you have a unique dilemma. Go for broke and end up on your back, or try to keep it standing a while longer but hold back on your firepower. This is why wrestling is so important in MMA, because even when there is no takedowns occurring, their threat is always playing a hand in the rhythm of the standup.

I agree, Cain looks dangerous.

Better than 'Reem, who people think has become an unstoppable beast since he's, uh, "looked bigger" and beaten one credible HW in recent memory....:rolleyes:

But yah, Cain is dangerous. It's the fight with Jake O'Brien that worries me. He completely nullified the wrestling to demolish Jake...it looked effortless. Jake is no Brock...but still.

I don't want the Brock train to end because I've enjoyed watching the red-faced retards blow a gasket because they insist he is a fraud and only enjoys success by virtue of pure dumb luck.

I dunno guys, seems lots of people are basing this off of the Carwin fight, where Brock didn't want to immediately go out and wrestle with a similarly sized man.

Everybody else Brock is just going to charge at them, plant them on their backs and pound them.

How the fuck JDS is going to stop a Lesnar shot is beyond me

I dunno guys, seems lots of people are basing this off of the Carwin fight, where Brock didn't want to immediately go out and wrestle with a similarly sized man.

Everybody else Brock is just going to charge at them, plant them on their backs and pound them.

I am so feeling this. Why people think Lesnar is going to have a problem with "any" good striker is just weird. Cheick Kongo may not be any good, but he has 10X the striking of Lesnar, so is he supposed to KO Lesnar in round 1. It takes wrestling to keep Lesnar off you and threaten with strikes. Half these guys (like JDS) Brock knows he can easily take them down and he won't be in striking range very long.

JDS, Cain, Overeem, Carwin with cardio..

with better takedown defense: Pat Barry, Kongo, Fedor,

He can try to move around and off-the-ground quickly, kind of like he did during the Gonzaga fight. I am not sure it would work against Lesnar though. If it does, he will win.

As long as Herb Dean refs the rematch I would believe Carwin could finish Brock.

some of these people saying "you need wrestling to beat Brock" don't seem to get it. a wrestler is not going to beat Brock, that should be clear to everyone at this point. a good striker is not just going to stand in front of Lesnar and wait for him to shoot. if you think that then you obviously don't know the difference between a striker and a brawler.

everyone with good base in boxing and stick n move gameplan can finish Brock

Brock extends one arm out, leaving the left side of his head wide open. He should use a peek a boo boxing style. He would be dangerous

Back