Strikers vs Lesnar....

Davis "Badzooka" Badzik

Amateur Fighter
@Blue
Reaction score
Which strikers do you guys think WILL finish Brock in the future? I can only think of Junior Dos Santos as the guy to finish off Brock.

Didn't you know already TS? On this forum everyone can beat Brock and if they can't they are a can.

JDS. if not; Overeem for sure will.

I really do not think that Cain will be able to do it. JDS would be a good match, but I think he gets neutralized with Brock's wrestling. I think the best striker to have a good shot is The Reem.

Roidman will run over him, with no sweat.

You would probably get a more intelligent answer from the grappling subforum. Any decent striker with power can beat Lesnar, if they can execute their combinations without getting worn down grappling.

A close to 300lb man with a wicked fast shot and an anvil for a head is not going to get knocked out by a smaller opponent who doesn't have better take down defense than Carwin.

Brock may not be everyone's favorite heavyweight champion but I don't think that there is a good enough contender right now.

Why do you people actually claim Overeem can beat Brock? Let's look at Overeem's record vs competent fighters:

Brett Rogers- won
Shogun- lost
Chuck- lost
Werdum- lost
Nog- lost
Nog again- lost

The only fighters he's beaten are mediocre. That's just how it is. It's not that he's bad, he just won't be able to handle someone who's beaten Couture, Carwin, and Mir.

Why do you people actually claim Overeem can beat Brock? Let's look at Overeem's record vs competent fighters:

Brett Rogers- won
Shogun- lost
Chuck- lost
Werdum- lost
Nog- lost
Nog again- lost

The only fighters he's beaten are mediocre. That's just how it is. It's not that he's bad, he just won't be able to handle someone who's beaten Couture, Carwin, and Mir.

Maybe because people recognize that he has improved, those fights were years ago in a different weight class, and he is much better suited monsterous heavyweight. I don't think a rematch with Werdum (or many of those losses) would be quite the same, but hey Werdum is a wizard on the ground and a tough guy, love to see that fight.

Maybe because people recognize that he has improved, those fights were years ago in a different weight class, and he is much better suited monsterous heavyweight. I don't think a rematch with Werdum (or many of those losses) would be quite the same, but hey Werdum is a wizard on the ground and a tough guy, love to see that fight.

Well, maybe. I'd certainly like to see the strikeforce and ufc titles unified, but there's no way that would happen regardless :- (

Brett Rogers- won
Shogun- lost
Chuck- lost
Werdum- lost
Nog- lost
Nog again- lost

Because there's more to analysis than just looking up names and counting wins and losses :)

Overeem's problem is that he often just falls apart early in the fight and gives up. But before that point, he's solid. So the real question here is if he can finish Brock off before he transforms into Zab Judah. I think it's possible; he can certainly last longer than Cain did and Cain looked like he was gonna beat Brock in the first few minutes.

I wouldn't put money on it, though :) Overeem's still too inconsistent IMHO.

Plus I'm not sure why you're bringing up Overeem's fights against proven AAA fighters like Shogun and Nog when it's clear at this point that Brock is basically a Div 1 wrestler with no standup. Where's the correlation? There's a reason why Rogan's commentary on Lesnar sounds like a broken record "OMG he's huge, he's a crazy athlete, he's such a big dude, we've never seen a fighter like this". Because there isn't a whole lot to say about him.

Because there's more to analysis than just looking up names and counting wins and losses :)

Plus I'm not sure why you're bringing up Overeem's fights against proven AAA fighters like Shogun and Nog when it's clear at this point that Brock is basically a Div 1 wrestler with no standup. Where's the correlation?

Yes some of those are BJJ experts unlike Brock, but regardless every fight generally has a standup phase and ground phase, and Brock has not proven to be ineffective on the ground. He was kneebarred once when he was new. So I don't see why you should assume that Brock would lose once on the ground. Wrestling is a ground-based skillset anyway, and an important one.

Also, don't discard size and strength. That's just unrealistic. Brushing off Brock's size and power, which he trained hard for mind you, in favor of Overeem's technique is similar to saying that Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan could come into mma at 140 lb or whatever and become champ due to all the difficult stunts and manuevers they can pull off. No, they can't, because size matters. And wrestling matters too.

I agree he has improved and those fights that he lost wouldn't have the same results now.

Curious... how did Overeem supposedly get to 250 from 205? I mean, I understand he was only 23 or so then... but still.

So I don't see why you should assume that Brock would lose once on the ground.

Also, don't discard size and strength.

When did I say any of this?

All I'm saying is that Overeem vs Shogun/Nog/Chuck/etc. doesn't tell you anything about Overeem vs. Brock, so those fights are mostly irrelevant wrt the topic at hand.

Brock is clearly not a competent striker, and as we all know Overeem is. which is why people believe Overeem can beat lesnar. Brock was getting lit up by a horrible striker, so no reason to believe that a good boxer or kickboxer can't take him apart.

Back